adding drain valve to radiator

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stevehull Gold Member Steve Hull
Arcadia, Oklahoma, USA   USA
Like many of you, I am tired of pulling off the radiator lower hose to drain radiator fluid. Hard to get to, hard to put hose back on, tough on hands . . . . Even with care the damn green stuff goes every where! And sadly, radiator fluid is a poison to dogs/cats as it tastes sweet but kills the kidneys. So I have to be VERY careful to clean up every bit.

My old (1970) MGB had such a valve and I hope to add this valve on as I pull existing radiator to flush it. Ideally, the valve would terminate in a standard hose connector so I can drain the fluid into a pail with a standard garden hose

I did check the archives, but could not find anything specific. Any ideas on doing such? - And yes, I know it needs to go to a radiator shop for this and brazed in.

Steve Hull
Arcadia, OK

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   AUS
Simple job. Just get the radiator shop, if you can't do it yourself, to braze (I used silver solder) a threaded brass reducer into the bottom of the radiator and use a suitable threaded plug to seal it off. I used a 1/8 bsp plug mainly because that's what I had at hand. There's no reason not to go bigger if you feel the need....you just don't need to though.

Attachments:
IMG_1387.JPG    28.3 KB
IMG_1387.JPG

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
A radiator shop can braze in a drain cock that has a short pipe on the bottom such that you can fit a piece of appropriate size rubber hose onto it before opening the valve...

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Steve, a standard hose connection would be a bit large for this application. Purchase one of the standard petcocks and have your local radiator shop install a bung to fit it in. A short length, of 3/8" hose, will fit over it and be perfect for draining the radiator. It would seem that Dick types faster than I do. RAY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 01:50 PM by RAY 67 TOURER.

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Hi,

Take the radiator to a shop, and ask them to supply and fit a valve.

A while back a radiator shop gave me one of these, so they have them.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Attachments:
Drain valve.jpg    6.5 KB
Drain valve.jpg

steve78b Avatar
steve78b Gold Member Stephen Brockwell
Elgin, OK, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Lilith"
I added one to my radiator and just used a large soldering iron to do it.

First drill the hole and sand off the metal around it.
Then flow some solder around the hole.
Take the drain and put some solder around the end of the drain before inserting.
Insert the drain and flow solder around.

Took me about an hour...... and I'm a government worker!

Steve B

Love my MG. Driving it more now thanks to everyone at MGEXPERIENCE !!

MGB 1976 Avatar
MGB 1976 Silver Member Mark Turechek
North of Boston, MA, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "The Never Ending Project"
It's definitely a worthwhile modification. Recently cost me $30 at a local radiator shop, about a month ago. The price went down from $65 after the radiator guy recognized my radiator from an earlier visit to his shop for a pressure test. I watched while he did it. I've been able to drain and refill my system at least 4 times with it and it is amazing compared to unhooking the lower hose and watching coolant spill everywhere, running all over the front cross member and missing the catch pan I put down. I have an 8 inch high bin that slides under my lowered RB cross member - open the valve and watch it drain. Nice!

Attachments:
Rad Man.JPG    53.9 KB
Rad Man.JPG

Rad drain.jpg    30.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MGB 1976 Avatar
MGB 1976 Silver Member Mark Turechek
North of Boston, MA, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "The Never Ending Project"
Oh, and Dick M. suggested I do it. Always take his advice-

mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
My 1969 MGCGT had the "wingnut petcock". It was very convenient and safe for draining. My 1980 did not have any type of drain on the rad. So when it was time to have the rad repaired I had shop put in the "wingnut petcock". Very inexpensive and a treat to use.

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Steve,
I’m sure your quip “... and I’m a government worker!” was meant to demonstrate how easy inserting the drain was for you. The problem for me is that it unwittingly perpetuates the corrosive stereotype of government workers as lazy don’t-give-a-damn slackers. Sounds to me like you’re a government worker yourself, so you know the stereotype is far from the truth.

I’m retired federal civil service. I served our Soldiers/Marines/Airmen/Sailors here at Ft Sill for over 32 years before I retired. Never during that time did I do less than my best for those who willingly put themselves in harm’s way for us. “Good enough for government work.” is anathema to me.

As for taking an hour... I’d say that was plenty quick.thumbs up Especially if it was your first try.
In reply to # 3640164 by steve78b I added one to my radiator and just used a large soldering iron to do it.

First drill the hole and sand off the metal around it.
Then flow some solder around the hole.
Take the drain and put some solder around the end of the drain before inserting.
Insert the drain and flow solder around.

Took me about an hour...... and I'm a government worker!

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

steve78b Avatar
steve78b Gold Member Stephen Brockwell
Elgin, OK, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Lilith"
Frank,

Sorry, it was a bad joke.
20 years in Field Artillery and 19 years contractor working for the Army then 7 years as a GS worker.
Still working for the Army now

I only poke fun at myself.

Steve B

Love my MG. Driving it more now thanks to everyone at MGEXPERIENCE !!

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
I do them myself after the last time the radiator shop beat up a new UK-built radiator for the 73B. They treated it like it was from a truck, scratched it up and bent fins, even after I asked them to be careful with it. It's just not that hard to do yourself.

Easy project, clean the area well, drill the hole just big enough to thread the petcock into the brass, flux and solder. I've never had a problem with that method. I used a propane torch, worked just fine.

I use this type for no real reason other than the Magnette came with one and you can push a hose over it. Mine has a lever instead of the thumb tab. All my cars have them now.

Attachments:
Petcock.jpg    6.7 KB
Petcock.jpg

ls1ac Avatar
ls1ac scott sommer
bristol, wi, USA   USA
I went to plan B and put an old coolant flush port in the bottom hose. It is a "T" fitting with a hose cap, used to be sold in auto parts stores.

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Yup, you been there/done that. thumbs up

I remember Sen Inhofe, speaking about federal employees at the OKC Murrah Building bombing in ‘96, saying:

"The ones who maybe were not in the building —they were playing hooky that day, maybe had left early, maybe had gone out that were not authorized or something —they then put a number out for those people to call back in.”

Ok, no more OT.winking smiley

In reply to # 3640710 by steve78b Frank,

Sorry, it was a bad joke.
20 years in Field Artillery and 19 years contractor working for the Army then 7 years as a GS worker.
Still working for the Army now

I only poke fun at myself.

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

Carlosii Charles Roche
Indiana, USA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Can this be done without removing the radiator?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster