AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Chris798 Avatar
Chris798 Chris S
Littleton, Colorado, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "B-26354"
Mac,

I know it is silly, but it is fun. I couldn't think of anything else that size to put in that spot other than some type of warning light. Come to think of it I could have used it for a horn like you have, that would be cool if this doesn't work. I like the fan idea that you have too, that is something more important than fuel, very good. We are getting good ideas, thank you. I was thinking something similar to what you have for for fuel, since I have it apart, you realize how easy it would be to steal one of these. I do ot want to put that in that spot though. Thank you for the input it is very appreciated and I know who to go to for the wiring on the others possibly.

Thank you, Chris

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
FWIW there is a lot of info on the downdraft Weber here. You will get nay-sayers but itis a perfectly respectable method of getting gasoline into the cylinders.

Back to your low fuel light.

I would like to know if that third terminal is connected and like I said with it on the bench you can make that determination is seconds with a simple continuity tester.

I have no use for the light but if it was there I wouldn't balk.
I have no use for a speedometer, but my tach is very important to me.
Oil pressure is checked every half hour or so.
Temp is only checked to see if I can turn the heat on yet.
The Ammeter is checked in the gauge sweep with the OP.
Fuel is full when I leave home, ask anyone I run with, we leave the house and go en masse to the station and take up all the pumps to top off. Then we drive. The car goes 300 miles on a tank (and then some) my butt is going to make a stop before I need gas. Since I always check gauges at start-up i would know I need gas.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Chris,

I went one better. Well maybe, at least different. I went with a suite of Speedhut gauges, you can customize them. They have a font that is close to the Smiths font.

Here is my fuel gauge. You can program when the warning light comes on. You can also program it to the fuel level sender.

All my Jags had a fuel warning light. My E-Type doesn't have gauge any longer, I use the warning light.

Then. to really tweak those who think different is bad, I had a custom water temp gauge made up with a programmable warning light. And of course, my tach &speedo are "wrong" too. devil smiley

In reply to # 3641206 by Chris798 Mac,

I know it is silly, but it is fun. I couldn't think of anything else that size to put in that spot other than some type of warning light. Come to think of it I could have used it for a horn like you have, that would be cool if this doesn't work. I like the fan idea that you have too, that is something more important than fuel, very good. We are getting good ideas, thank you. I was thinking something similar to what you have for for fuel, since I have it apart, you realize how easy it would be to steal one of these. I do ot want to put that in that spot though. Thank you for the input it is very appreciated and I know who to go to for the wiring on the others possibly.

Thank you, Chris

---
GEO

Attachments:
MGB FUEL.jpg    68.3 KB
MGB FUEL.jpg

MGB WATER TEMP.jpg    81.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
AT SPEED-05JUL17_S.jpg    49.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Take a look at this page.

Probably exactly what you want. As the resistance of the fuel sender goes up or down the fuel gauge is really just reading voltage.

This I/C circuit makes a switch that can control a light.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=The-Simple-Voltage-Switch&A=2476

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
I believe Chris's sender already has the switch built in. Going the extra PCB route is cool, but really complicates the car's system. Both mechanically and electrically. However, the PCB could be installed in a box anywhere in the vehicle where it could be wired into the fuel level circuit.

IMHO, a simple comparator circuit would be the easiest for fuel level.

---
GEO

modern gentleman Avatar
modern gentleman NEIL MILLS
Brisbane, Ormiston, Australia   AUS
1967 MG MGB GT "Cafe Racer"
Here's one solution, a compact module that will fit inside 2" Guages ;

https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.php/miniature-low-fuel-warning-light-module.html

The same company also produces tachometer cur unit boards.
They list on eBay too.

Safety Fast,
Neil

Chris798 Avatar
Chris798 Chris S
1974 MG MGB "B-26354"
George,

Those gauges are pretty sweet. I was going to get those gauges, but when I looked at the website it did not have the gauge size for the speedometer and tach 3 1/8. I loved that they were programmable. Here is what mine look like minus the fuel gauge. Thanks for the info. Peace.

V.R. Chris

Attachments:
20171209_100304.jpg    44.3 KB
20171209_100304.jpg

Chris798 Avatar
Chris798 Chris S
1974 MG MGB "B-26354"
Michael,

Thank you for your input I appreciate it. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend, I have learned a lot from all of you. I think this will work and I do think the switch is in the sender and all I need to do is follow the diagram. If it does not work we can go different routes. Thank you, peace.

V.R. Chris

Chris798 Avatar
Chris798 Chris S
1974 MG MGB "B-26354"
Dan,

Thank you for the link I will definitely check that out. Peace.

V.R. Chris

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Wow Chris, those are great. I like the vintage pointer.

I had to enlarge the tach & speedo dash holes slightly. The originals still fit without a problem.

In reply to # 3642494 by Chris798 George,

Those gauges are pretty sweet. I was going to get those gauges, but when I looked at the website it did not have the gauge size for the speedometer and tach 3 1/8. I loved that they were programmable. Here is what mine look like minus the fuel gauge. Thanks for the info. Peace.

V.R. Chris

---
GEO

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster