Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Elliott Russell Avatar
Bristol, PA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Or maybe driver’s seat not centered below steering wheel...

Just bought a ‘73 B. I sat in the driver’s seat and noticed the steering wheel is offset to my right. Hard to tell how far, but maybe 1 to 1.5 inches off. The wheel is almost touching my right thigh at rest.

Looking at the dashboard and wheel cowling, I see a small gap on the left side, but none on the right side.

The seat covers do not look stock, but the PO of 35 years says they are factory. Are the seats right-left specific?

Can the steering column be shifted to the left? I see clamps holding up. Will this solution screw up steering column alignment?

I know there are some very experienced owners out there. What do you guys think?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
AC737B5D-42DD-4786-A336-A4F9E069B9B1.jpeg    58.4 KB
AC737B5D-42DD-4786-A336-A4F9E069B9B1.jpeg

Chalky Avatar
Chalky David White
Coventry, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
When the B was designed it was not common to align the centre of the seat and the steering wheel. It's part of the character of the car.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
If the steering cowl fits the cut out in the dash, it is OE.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
The seat is not square to the pedal box. In my experience, it isn't so noticeable on an early seat like it is on a later one because the added side support of the later seat forces you to sit straight on the seat itself.

Jim Gevay Avatar
Circle Pines, MN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
I believe the seat bottoms are slightly handed to fit the tranny tunnel. The 3 bolts under the dash have no real left/right adjustment to speak of.
Really can't see anything from a photo shot from 5' away not showing any details, sorry.

Early 1974 MGB with OD, SU HIF's, 72 spoke chrome WW's, Schlemmer distributor, DuBois fuel pump, Limey's relays, Gerry's column kit.

Attachments:
IMG_0265 (800x600).jpg    50.7 KB
IMG_0265 (800x600).jpg

IMG_3771 (800x533).jpg    47 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
nickj Avatar
nickj Gold Member Nick Jenkins
Novato, Marin Co, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB
Are the gauges centered inside the steering wheel? When I rebuilt my '72 I measured the steering wheel center line exactly down the middle of the drivers' compartment. But when I'm driving the wheel feels like it's off to the left, and the gauges aren't exactly centered. So I think I have a tendency to sit a little to the right. Not that big a deal.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
Well: It is on the wrong side of the car. Originally designed, it was "Right Hand Drive", so to this day, the R/H cockpit area is larger than the left. Also notice the Emergency brake is also on the wrong side. ??? Any way, sit a little sideways, all is good in Nice looking car, Cheers

lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada   CAN
This picture shows pretty well what Joseph is saying. It does look like the console is cut out somewhat on the right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 06:16 PM by lewk.

Attachments:
3d8f7eca4e26ab8b4a2f6add67bb2872.jpg    38.3 KB
3d8f7eca4e26ab8b4a2f6add67bb2872.jpg

Elliott Russell Avatar
Bristol, PA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Thanks for your input. I couldn’t get a photo that effectively showed the problem. I guess it’s something I will have to get use to. I was spoiled by by ‘80 B. Ten years of a nicely centered slightly higher steering wheel.

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
you ought to try an early Griffith 200, the TVR with a 271HP Ford V8.

The offset was so bad it was hard to adjust to even over a 200 mile drive like I did in 1965 from Griffith Ford to Bridgehampton and back. The tran tunnel for the big stuff moved the pedals outward by at least 6" and the seat sat where it was in the TVP. So your feet were cocked off way to the left byut the steering was to the right and the seat awns't aligned with either.

The car was a beast. Heavy right foot, the car turned sideways from engine torque to the chassis. Helped by the tiny wheelbase. The chassis had been designed for a pushrod 1600 Ford<G>

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
I Know. I have always done Custom Carpeting {Never installed a Kit), and I know for a fact, the passenger {R/H) floor board is about 1" wider than the driver {L/H} side.

Soling2003 Avatar
Soling2003 Gary M
Pahoa, HI, USA   USA
Not sure about those seats. I could be wrong, but I have never seen a seat bottom without any seams. So it has been redone at some time. The foam may not be on it straight and even. And yes, the bottoms are side dependable.

Fogliner Avatar
Fogliner Mark Vanherd
Port Clements, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB
Perhaps the floorpans were replaced at one time and the PO got the cheap ones with out the pre mounted captive nuts and had to eyeball it.

I have driven a brand new Peterbilt that had a mis aligned seat though so it could happen.

You do get used to it but it is a pain for a few miles.

Kind Regards
Mark

ACE2 Robert Kinzey
Palm Bay, Florida, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
You could always adjust the right and left tie rod ends to center the wheel. You might lose some travel on one side. I wouldn't worry about it not being centered as long as it tracks straight. If it doesn't, there are other issues. The main thing to worry about is the structural integrity of the unit body. Make sure the floor pans are hole free and that there are no rust spots or holes in the rocker panel assemblies. The doors should have even gaps and open and close smoothly.

flash75 Clifton Gordon
Summerfield, Florida, USA   USA
Adjusting the tie rod ends will not physically move the steering right or left. The steering
wheel remains in the same place but will rotate as the tie rod ends are adjusted.

Clifton

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster