MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Vaseline on Battery Terminals - yea or nay?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

daharleydude Avatar
daharleydude John K
Ashevillle, North Carolina, USA   USA
I agree with the idea of felt battery washers. Go to Wal Mart or local parts store and look and they have what is called NOCO NCP2 battery corrosion preventative. it comes with the felt washers and an oil based protective spray, probably enough spray for 30 batteries. Made in USA, and the cost is about 4 bucks. (less than a cup of coffee at starbucks) In my opinion, (which is not worth diddly,) it's probably the safest and best solution.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
Battery Washers
Red for Positive ( like fire)
Green for Ground (like grass)

Dogpile on me but I don't use grease and don't have corrosion either.
Didn't believe int he battery washers til I bought a car that had them and the battery was 13 years old...

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm

Oh, why should you do maintenance on those sealed new batteries???

This is why:

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!

Attachments:
Photo_071408_001.jpg    24.7 KB
Photo_071408_001.jpg

Photo_071408_002.jpg    32.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Photo_071408_003.jpg    45.1 KB
Photo_071408_004.jpg    55.2 KB
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
He pulled into the parking lot and went into the doctor's office and came out 20 minutes later to a firetruck.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
That would NOT have happened if he had used those battery washers!!!! LOL....

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
I clean my battery terminals at least once a year. I wouldn't say grease or vaseline or washers help but they probably don't hurt...

I think this is just one of those habits many mechanics pick up over time.

In the days of non-sealed batteries corrosion was a lot bigger problem.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
35 posts to debate whether Vaseline works or not... Too funny! The answer is Y E S. A dab on your posts and it will last the lifetime of the battery with zero corrosion... Don't knock it if you haven't even tried it.

No wonder politics is banned here. LMAO

rsvmgb1974 Avatar
rsvmgb1974 Silver Member Robert Vining
Capon Bridge, Capon Bridge, USA   USA
Not just battery posts.

Years ago I had a 1967 Buick that would stall out every time it rained. One memorable time was when we were coming out of Disney World in a rainstorm and it stalled holding up traffic. I was not popular. I coated the distributor with vaseline and never had a problem again.

Bob

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
And never get Vaseline mixed up with Vicks Vapour Rub.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Dandare Avatar
Dandare Danny H
Sydney, Australia   AUS
That smarts!

Danny

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
OK, some reality here:

Modern batteries do not out-gas as much as older ones. The terminal seals are far better.
Sealed batteries are not actually sealed. If they were , they would explode.
Felt buffers were to counteract the out-gassing of acidic fumes.
Grease is to prevent moisture/oxygen from getting to the terminal.
A battery will last 5 to maybe 7 years in normal use. Outside of that is something not normal.
Modern car batteries as supplied in new cars are not greased. At least not the last few I bought.
Battery terminals, either the old lead kind, modern strap, or side ring all are designed to have a high pressure connection with no fretting.
So, if starting fresh, the probability of terminal corrosion is minimal these days.

Now, grease is a simple extra safeguard, especially when we rarely see our battery being in the back.
I have never heard of a fault caused by grease on a terminal
Buffer washers are cheap, can do no harm and make it super clear which terminal is which. Maybe worthwhile on cars converted from positive ground whose cables are the wrong color. Yes, in my MG I have the buffer rings and grease the terminals. Old habits probably. My cables are correct because I changed them.

Where we really really need grease in all the other connections, bullet, fastons etc. This is the biggest cause for failures in older cars, not just British.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
pelham, shelby county, USA   USA
I’ve read through these almost four pages of comments, and I’ve decided that I will use grease from now on.
What brand would be best, and should I use synthetic or Dino?

Deo Volente

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   USA
Whatever you have on hand. I'd bet that even Crisco would work. It's all about forming a coating to prevent exposure to air.

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
pelham, shelby county, USA   USA
I would prefer to use something healthier than Crisco. Coconut oil would be my first choice, but virgin coconut oil melts at 76F. Maybe I could find some hydrogenated coconut oil, which would have a higher melting point.

Deo Volente

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3641986 by mgbgt111 I’ve read through these almost four pages of comments, and I’ve decided that I will use grease from now on.
What brand would be best, and should I use synthetic or Dino?

Anything you choose will be fine, though you should decant through a Fram filter for maximum oxygen exclusion.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster