MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Vaseline on Battery Terminals - yea or nay?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sharkee Avatar
Sharkee John Sachs
Moriches, NY, USA   USA
Does it prevent corrosion? Cause problems? Whats the verdict?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
It prevents corrosion by keeping oxygen from away from the metals. RAY

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Applied to clean terminals it does seem to stave off corrosion.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
thumbs upand makes it easier to remove

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Fred Winterburn Avatar
Ripley, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I prefer to use a good quality lithium grease, but vaseline will work. Once the lead is good and shiny, slather it inside and outside of the connection. "Petroleum jelly, it's ten cents a jar, if you don't like it, use it in the car! " Fred

In reply to # 3637518 by Sharkee Does it prevent corrosion? Cause problems? Whats the verdict?

'Anyone who likes liver, can't taste it'
'If you want to repair car electrical systems successfully, learn Ohm's Law'.

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
It's melting point is only 100° What happens when your engine heats up and it melts away???

Just use some grease designed for auto applications.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 09:39 PM by HiPowerShooter.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
James,

I have only used it for 35 years on battery posts so not much experience to speak of... One little dab will last for the life of the battery. Nothing works better for the price. And you don't have to go to Autozone or Pep Boys or whatever automotive store you frequent to buy some "specialty" product that costs three times as much.... I would go out on a limb and say that 95% of all homes in the USA have a jar somewhere in the house.

It is great on the B when you consider the battery (ies) are hidden where most folks forget about them until they turn the key and get nothing but a click!

In reply to # 3637563 by HiPowerShooter It's melting point is only 100° What happens when your engine heats up and it melts away???

Just use some grease designed for auto applications.

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
Hmmmmm...this could be a good one , right up there with synthetic oils ...lololol....you may have no idea what you have started on here Sharkee ...lololol..
No doubt someone will come up with a break down of the properties etc ....devil smiley

As said...it is a grease itself ...it will surley work fine ....I use it on most bolts I re-new ( not on the engine ) ...window winder connections in the doors etc .
Yeh sure it might melt ...eye rolling smiley.but it will leave a film on there anyway....battery terminals are a periodical maintenance thing anyway and usually should be a part of a minor service item ...so Vaseline will work fine .
Having said that ...the suggestion of lithium grease is better if you have it ...

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Never bought grease for a battery terminal...never had my wife use Red-N-Tacky to remove make-up either...just used whatever's in the closest grease gun. But whatever works...thumbs up

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Rufus Avatar
Rufus Gold Member Harry Singleton
Garland, Texas, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT Special "Rusty"
1974 MG MGB GT "Krusty"
I've had a jar of Vaseline in the top of my tool box for decades. I used it on all of my electrical connections because that was what was available when I was learning my way around a car. About 20 years ago while I was still spending a lot of time on sailboats, a buddy of mine down in the Keys sent me a tube of dialectric grease, and now I still have a jar of Vaseline in the tool box but I use the dielectric grease for 12v electrics.
I was recently servicing the batteries on my RV, and all I had was wheel bearing grease, works just as well as dielectric grease or Vaseline.

Have fun

If ignorance is bliss, I must be the happiest man alive!
Signed

RUFUS
67 Roadster

Member Services:
Restoration Services. Complete SU carburetor rebuilding services. Complete SU carburetor sets available for RB retro-fit. SU's bought, any condition. MGB's bought and sold. Performance consultation. Rufus-h@hotmail.com 214-686-8692
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Always used vaseline on terminals of my traditional 6 Volts batteries, that always leaked acid (the last ones even in abundance). Must admit protection was so-so, white deposits continued coming. confused smiley
Now with a maintenance free, closed single 12Volts type I no longer see the need, so at present the (previously cleaned) battery terminals are no longer covered with vaseline eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 03:06 AM by Donthuis.

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   USA
"What happens when the engine bay gets hot?" The Vaseline melts and flows down in the crevasses of the battery connector and prevents corrosion there as well. It also works great on your bulb bases to prevent corrosion from building up and causing resistance.

joron Avatar
joron Silver Member Michel Joron
Roxboro, Quebec, Canada   CAN
1977 MG MGB "Victoria"
I used it since 1980ish each spring when I put back the battery in a car.

1977 MGB Red 'Victoria'
All Classics:
Married, 2 children, 2 dogs, MG MGB May to December.

Chriswatts Avatar
Chriswatts Silver Member Chris Watts
WISBECH, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1975 MG MGB "JMMY"
I work in a Hospital where Vaseline is banned on the wards as its Flammable being an oil derivative. Never heard anyone getting hurt by it, but I suppose if it melts at 100 degrees in an engine bay it could feasibly happen.

Chris

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
hogwash......they probably banned it in the hospital due to pure oxygen begin around.

Listen to those that have used it for years, and move on. Basically the same as dielectric grease.

Now WD40 on a battery terminal IS a no-no.....made that dumb mistake back in high school on my pickup. Wouldn't crank after that, had to clean it all off.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster