MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

How much does the front suspension assembly weigh?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

PARISH-63MGB Thomas Parish
Westford, massachusetts, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
I am planning to remove the front suspension from my 63 MGB and rebuild it over the winter. I would like to do it in my basement where there is actual heat - as opposed to the garage which is freezing. My question is how heavy is the assembly? My basement access is through a bulkhead with 5 steps. With two people, will I be able to reasonably get it down those steps to get it into the basement? Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CMCon98 Colin C
Dedham, Massachusetts, USA   USA
I've been wondering about this too. It seems like in a worst-case, you could strap the assembly to a two-wheeled handcart like they use to move refrigerators and take it down a plywood ramp into your basement.

converse212 Avatar
converse212 Eric Morgan
Tucker, Georgia, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB "Daily Driver"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rusty"
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
In reply to # 3627532 by PARISH-63MGB I am planning to remove the front suspension from my 63 MGB and rebuild it over the winter. I would like to do it in my basement where there is actual heat - as opposed to the garage which is freezing. My question is how heavy is the assembly? My basement access is through a bulkhead with 5 steps. With two people, will I be able to reasonably get it down those steps to get it into the basement? Thanks.

Two reasonably fit/sized people can move the front suspension. I’ve moved them by myself before, not for the faint of heart...suggest a moving buddy.

Alternatively, if you remove the four bolts holding the shocks on and the four bolts moving the inner pivot for the lower control arms, the weight is split almost into thirds and very easy for one person to move in three trips

Daily driving a '71 MGB

Resurrecting a '58 MGA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
okephoto Avatar
okephoto Kevin Oke
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I'm not sure of the weight but I moved mine by myself. I would guess 75 lbs.

Mgb1967.com A restoration & historical journal
Mgb1967.com/mg-resource-directory/ MG Resource Directory

In the family for 50 years, and presently in what is becoming an expensive overhaul!

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
I removed mine by myself and used a jack to get it out from under the car, but put it on saw horses by myself...should be easy for two people to carry.
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

PARISH-63MGB Thomas Parish
Westford, massachusetts, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
Thanks to all -- I think I will go the route of breaking it down at least a bit before moving to the basement. Appreciate the help.

okephoto Avatar
okephoto Kevin Oke
Have fun, it's well worth the effort. My suspension is in my office this winter!

In the family for 50 years, and presently in what is becoming an expensive overhaul!

Attachments:
Filthy MGB GT suspension.JPG    56.8 KB
Filthy MGB GT suspension.JPG

Painted MGB front suspension parts.JPG    47.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
The crossmember that I removed from my 1974-1/2 MGB/GT...with all ancillaries attached....weighed in at #180.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com

Attachments:
Stock crossmember_1.jpg    63.5 KB
Stock crossmember_1.jpg

Stock crossmemember_2.jpg    70.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bill Hibberd Avatar
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Looking pretty sweet there Kevin. Good to see that you are getting good use out of your new blaster. Are those new coils? If so, which ones did you go for?

Member Services:
COMING SOON. COMING SOON. COMING SOON. COMING SOON. COMING SOON. COMING SOON. The first in a series of limited edition fine art paintings featuring our favorite LBC, the MG. Combining my love of painting with my growing interest in all things MG.
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Remove steering rack first. Then the suspension corners. Then the X-member. Assemble to the car in reverse order. Bare X-member is easier to bolt up to the car without all the other stuff. Adding the corners is not difficult.

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
In reply to # 3627628 by fast-MG.com Remove steering rack first. Then the suspension corners. Then the X-member. Assemble to the car in reverse order. Bare X-member is easier to bolt up to the car without all the other stuff. Adding the corners is not difficult.

I concur.....

But.....

When I removed this rack, it was to replace it with a FastCars unit....hence I did not disassemble it. Note that the steering rack is lying on top of the crossmember in the picture that I posted.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
okephoto Avatar
okephoto Kevin Oke
And I wonder why my back hurts!

In reply to # 3627589 by mowog1 The crossmember that I removed from my 1974-1/2 MGB/GT...with all ancillaries attached....weighed in at #180.

okephoto Avatar
okephoto Kevin Oke
Hi Bill,
Yeah, the blaster is great. I'm blasting everything in sight. What a weird addiction! Cherie's gardening tools, benches, whatever. I measured the coils and they're within spec so just repainted them, time will tell I guess.

In reply to # 3627610 by Bill Hibberd Looking pretty sweet there Kevin. Good to see that you are getting good use out of your new blaster. Are those new coils? If so, which ones did you go for?

jewar Avatar
jewar Silver Member John Warlimont
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
I carried one the other day without the spindles or rotors and had no problem by myself. Leave the sway bar attached it makes it a lot easier to pickup.
John

dickstag Avatar
dickstag Silver Member Richard Stagnone
Holbrook, MA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Unknown MGB"
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB "Mellow Yellow"
1974 MG MGB MkII "Ms Violet"
I like the red springs with the black front end components. Did you paint them red or did they come in red new ?

Is that the stock engine paint red ?

My new springs are black. Got me thinking about applying a coat of red (the Rustolium red). Further down the rabbit hole I go.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster