AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

limey222 Avatar
limey222 Silver Member Michael Cubbon
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Looking at a really nice 1979 MG Midget for my wife. The problem is that the seller is outside the DEQ's Portland boundary so it has never had to be tested. All of the emission junk was removed years ago. I've been told that sometimes you can get a car through the test by just installing a good catalytic converter and tuning the carb etc. I also know that in this area there are different standard for cars 1975 - 80 with and without Cats.
Has anyone had any experiences they can relay to me

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Why not make the purchase contingent on passing an emissions test?

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
That wouldn't be acceptable to the seller because he knows that in its present state that it won't pass, so its on me to ensure that it does by adding components etc if I want to bring it into my area. He's not going to loan me the car and let me modify things and I wouldn't be comfortable buying it without knowing in advance that it won't be a problem. A friend who owns a shop that specializes in British car care has put me in touch with another shop that specializes in getting cars through the test. Fitting just a new cat and tweaking the carb and timing may well work, I'm waiting for their "guru" on this to call me back.

In reply to # 3627449 by dickmoritz Why not make the purchase contingent on passing an emissions test?

Dick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Why not get a pre 1975?
No smog gear, more power,better engine,nicer looking. Not rbb.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Attachments:
00S0S_dUNwAWrkTjM_600x450.jpg    23.2 KB
00S0S_dUNwAWrkTjM_600x450.jpg

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Been looking for a pre 75 for some time.

In reply to # 3627466 by ohlord Why not get a pre 1975?
No smog gear, more power,better engine,nicer looking. Not rbb.

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
x2 what Dick said.

Do you know what your states emission requirements are? In Ca, many years ago, they made cars '75 and earlier exempt from emissions testing. At that time, I assumed (yeah, I know what assuming does!) that the exempted years would be increased as time went by, but, that was not the case.

Also, in CA, you must pass visual inspections to ensure that all emissions equipment is present and operational. All they really look for is that the equipment is present and that the EGR valve moves when the throttle is blipped.

If Oregon has similar visual inspection, then, I'd seriously consider looking for an older MG (if older ones are exempted from testing).

The reasons I say this are:
1) The emissions equipment on a late model MG is fairly extensive (air pump, air rail, check valve, gulp valve, EGR valve, charcoal cannisters, AntiRun-On Valve, Catalytic Converter, and numerous hoses, fittings, gaskets, and clamps. All of that equipment is expensive, it's getting harder to find replacement parts, it adds a lot to your vehicle maintenance, adds weight to the car, and, the equipment often has to be removed to perform other engine maintenance.
2) In addition, the earlier chrome bumber cars are more desireable and have more horsepower, and, with the lower ride height, they handle better.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster