1979 mgb ignition

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jaydeemgb Jim D
Weirton, West Virginia, USA   USA
1979 mgb after setting in garage for 10yrs. Should I try use the original electronic ignition, newer electronic ignition with new coil in original distributed or new distributed with new electronic unit and new coil? Thoughts ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
If oyu have the CEI with a metal trigger wheel, use that. Otherwise I'd expect the Opus with a white plastic trigger wheel would have been replaced years earlier. If not, go to a points distributor with a 3 Ohm coil. .

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
Welcome:

For time being, if working, stick with what you have; you'll have many other issues and costs with a car sitting for 10 years.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
D. None of the above...

Get a proper original (non-repro...) 25D points distributor. You'll thank me later... cool smiley

Dick

In reply to # 3627345 by jaydeemgb 1979 mgb after setting in garage for 10yrs. Should I try use the original electronic ignition, newer electronic ignition with new coil in original distributed or new distributed with new electronic unit and new coil? Thoughts ?

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Dick - I seem to get the impression that you have a very strong preference for original points ignition. How come you are not seduced by all the lengthy discussions about the unrivaled benefits of the many discussions on this forum about the benefits of the latest and greatest electronic alternatives, the more complicated the better?

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
Actually, for a daily driver, the CEI works very consistently. The curve may not be great, but that can be corrected. Its extremely durable, albeit not the best performance option on the planet, but better than most if not all aftermarket offerings.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Probably has something to do with the "more complicated" part...

'course it could also be related to the fact that the electronic conversions are expensive, can fail without warning, provide no viable diagnostic procedure in the event of an engine performance problem, and don't perform any better than a properly prepared points setup.

Other than that, they're great... grinning smiley

Dick

In reply to # 3627427 by barry s Dick - I seem to get the impression that you have a very strong preference for original points ignition. How come you are not seduced by all the lengthy discussions about the unrivaled benefits of the many discussions on this forum about the benefits of the latest and greatest electronic alternatives, the more complicated the better?

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
In #3 I didn't mention, that after having my car for 20 years with a fine running points 45D, I bought a refurbished points 25D and very happy with it.

Had to pipe in again after Dick's #4 comment.

Re points: When BOTH Dick & Jeff recommend points over electronic, guess where my money is, (or was, before I bought MG:-)

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
If, as already mentioned, if it's the CEI ignition system, keep it. A very reliable system requiring very little maintenance. RAY

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster