AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jeff in Iowa Avatar
Jeff in Iowa Jeffrey J
Iowa City, Iowa, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
Going with 1/2” OSB on the walls. Plan to install an electric shop heater and an A/C unit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
55B9B984-65EF-4B28-BAE3-CE47946123AA.jpeg    31 KB
55B9B984-65EF-4B28-BAE3-CE47946123AA.jpeg

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
I would recommend the spray foam insulation. Does an amazing job of sealing the shop and keeps the noise from the neighbors.

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, North Carolina, USA   USA
'bout time. Having a comfortable shop changes your whole attitude toward the hobby.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
46er Avatar
46er Silver Member Ralph K
Coastal, NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 3627071 by Jeff in Iowa Going with 1/2” OSB on the walls. Plan to install an electric shop heater and an A/C unit.

OSB as insulation? Or did I misread something? I used 2 inch Pink Panther R10 foam boards between the studs, glued in place. Nice and cozy with a Heater Buddy. One cutting and gluing, one putting in place, took one day.

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TEXAS, USA   USA
Having grown up in northern Minnesota, my advice would be to install a drop ceiling. Otherwise it will be 80F up there and 40F down by the floor.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

Jeff in Iowa Avatar
Jeff in Iowa Jeffrey J
Iowa City, Iowa, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
OSB over 3.5” batts on walls and 1” foil board over the batts in the ceiling. I know spray on is great but trying to keep costs down. I like the open rafters and will put an old ceiling fan up in the peak.

Defender405 Avatar
Defender405 Silver Member Chris B.
Des Moines, Iowa, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
Wish I had done the AC in mine. Having a toasty warm garage sure makes things nicer in the winter.

Chris AKA "Defender405"
1975 MGB
1979 Porsche 924
1999 Porsche 996
1987 Nissan 300ZX

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, Washington, USA   USA
When I built my shop I used r 19 bats in the walls, I think r 23 in the ceiling. The shop now stays comfortable in the winter and cool in the summer here in the NW.

Attachments:
IMG_1123.JPG    49.3 KB
IMG_1123.JPG

BusyB Platinum Member Sherman Bird
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB MkIV "Jerzy"
Living in the subtropic climes of Houston, I planned my shop for very good insulation, a dehumidifier, and an A/C unit. The metal building is 45 feet by 25 feet with a 14 foot floor to center roof beam. My A/C unit is a 25000 BTU window unit that, combined with a couple of fans, does a great job of cooling me and my cars in the heat of the day! Dealing with cold here is not much of a problem. The heat, with 90+ % humidity and 110 degree heat indices, can and will KILL, especially a guy like me with CHF (congestive heart failure). Good for you climate controlling your garage!

dcasko1950 Gold Member Dana Casko
Deerfield, NH, USA   USA
Give some thought to a mini-split that will cool and heat.

1980 MGB LE, 1976 MGB Roadster, 1980 TR7

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Yep...

If not, at least install a couple of ceiling fans to keep that air moving and not rising and staying up high.

I just moved to a new house and one of the first things I did was to get a used furnace for the garage. A friend of mine owns an HVAC business and will keep the good units he tears out of homes to sell/give away to people to use as either garage units or for cabins etc...

I wouldn't go electric....heating a garage will break the bank.

If you don't already have a unit, look on CL. You can pick them up pretty cheap many times. If not, call around to some of your local HVAC contractors and see if they've got any older working units in their "scrap" pile. Mine will heat up a 3 car garage 20 deg in about 20 min. It's about 25 years old so although "old" it's still more efficient than most portable heaters.

Just plumb in the gas/propane, cut two holes in the wall and off you go.

In reply to # 3627107 by balloonfoot Having grown up in northern Minnesota, my advice would be to install a drop ceiling. Otherwise it will be 80F up there and 40F down by the floor.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 08:17 PM by HiPowerShooter.

Attachments:
20171113_200454[1].jpg    31.8 KB
20171113_200454[1].jpg

rntanner Avatar
rntanner Silver Member Roger N. Tanner
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB
Install the same insulation on the walls and ceiling that your house has.

My house has 5-1/2 inch fiberglass on the ceiling and 3-1/2 inch fiberglass on the walls in California and the previous house in Texas.

Roger N. Tanner, Professional Engineer, Retired

Roger N. Tanner
Professional Engineer, Retired

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Remember the vapor barrier on interior of walls and ceilings

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

74GTBob Avatar
74GTBob Bob Riebli
Ephrata, Washington, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB GT
Looking at your picture, can not tell if you already have your batt insulation installed. If you do not and have 6" walls, R-19 does a much better job for not much more money. Also if you use foam board and faced batt insulation you may have a condensation problem. There are at least 3 different types of foam boards. Also in my area 7/16" OSB is cheaper and does the same job.. We do not sell 1/2" in our area. I am semi retired and work in a lumber-plumbing-hardware store. I sell lots of insulation and OSB every day. We also sell and install shops. If you have any questions about insulation, PM me, and I will ask my insulation salesman and get back to you.

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Hey Welcome Back Roger, good to see you posting again.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster