AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Flash Badger Garry Paterson
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB MkII "Maggie B"
Hi all,

Drove my B 900km over the weekend and all was dandy except for snapping the rear most hanger off the exhaust. I be the feeling it's been on it's way out for a while as it's torn the hinge off the car rather than a bracket snapping or bolts giving way.

My question is, I have an 1970 Australian B which means it's made up of a variety of parts not potentially meant for that year of car. Do all hangers have the same fitting to the car or do they differ. If so, how do I work it out?

Regards

Garry

1970 Australian Mk2 MGB Roadster

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Gary,
IF yours is similar to the NA cars, you should have a support at the bellhousing, a center hanger just forward of the back wheel and the rear hanger. If the front two hangers are missing or miss-adjusted, it puts extra stress on the rear hanger, this will break the two rubber isolation donuts.

The two isolation donuts at the rear should have some phenolic (or some such) insulators to protect the rubber, if these are missing the rubber will melt fairly quickly.

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, New Jersey, USA   USA
Is the hanger that broke stock or a generic hanger?

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
You can see all the parts here (unless your B has had local alterations by an exhaust shop)

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Thanks for the responses. This is what came off the car. It looks a bit iffy to me and is possibly a patch it job. I had a look under the car and the hanger at the bel housing is welded in but attached to a vulcanised strap to the car. There are no hangers forward of this.

Attachments:
IMG_0129.JPG    28.5 KB
IMG_0129.JPG

MGB567 Avatar
Yep that's an Aussie solution! If you want to replicate that then any autoshop will have but if you want to do it "correctly" then you have the part numbers so it just depends where you want to shop.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Thanks Barry, proper way is the only way I think. Don't want to be a DPO in the future. The type of hanger I use is probably academic as I'm going to have fashion a bracket to attach it to the car anyway.

Regards

Garry

MGB567 Avatar
You said rearmost hanger so that's the one above the tailpipe - yeah? So look at #48 in my link - that attaches to the inside of the rear valance with two 1/4" bolts but only if the welded bracket is still attached to the inside of your valance. If that plate's gone then you'll have to make one or cobble an alternative together. On the off chance you're referring to the mid hanger #41 it to attaches to the body by two 1/4" bolts up near the LHS of the LHS battery box. Finally just to finish it off #25 is a metal strap that runs from the bracket #24 bottom of the bellhouse to the exhaust with #23

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Early B's had the weaker hanger at the back, the same as in the middle, your 1970 will be quite similar to my 1972 in this respect and the makeshift solution in your picture mimicks this configuration
After having the rubber time and time again torn off the steel strips I went to the later configuration which is available in both CBB and RBB version (RBB strip is longer). Still the rest is the same.

As long as the captive nuts in the carbody on which either hanger connects are still OK, the only challenge is how to assemble this overly complex arrangement of rubbers and strips.
To help, I include a picture from an earlier thread on exhaust hangers showing an assembled one.

Attachments:
Exhaust hanger.JPG    20.9 KB
Exhaust hanger.JPG

MGB567 Avatar
Yeah Don - pissing around with the cotton reels (the rubber mounts) is a task in itself. With a TT exhaust I had to cobble together as best I could especially given the OD of the tail pipe. Fortunately the bracket on my valance was OK.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
The bracket on the valence is prone to breaking as well. Was on my '76 driver. I chose to avoid re-fitting the same thin sheet metal part and have it break in the future. So I made my own L shaped bracket out of some heave gauge stuff and just bolted it to the floor by the rear valence. Not original, but hardly anybody would know....and it will last a LONG time. The above bracket Don shows just bolts to my L bracket.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
I just confronted that rear exhaust hanger, intuitive it isn't. Fortunately John Twist to the rescue though I think there are three errors in his method.

He doesn't use the four flat washers that come with the kit.....they are plainly visible in the picture at #9

He puts the insulating washers at either end of the bobbin rather than both at the top of the bobbin on opposite sides of the bracket. Kelvin mentions this in another post, I'm no where near that smart.

He assembles both sides of the collar on the bottom of the bracket, I could be very wrong, but logically I'd think the collar would go both sides of the hanging bracket.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
I just checked mine: I also put both sides of the collar on the bottom of the bracket, or fitment around the exhaust pipe would be the wrong size. So my logic is different from yours eye rolling smiley
Did not find these extra large, spare washers on the collar either, so I guess I followed JT on this unknowingly (my bracket dates back to 1986, long before his YouTube video was made)

BTW whether the other large ones sit higher up I can not say, without lying under my B. Not something I cherish in these colder months grinning smiley

PS The picture of my earlier post also does NOT show these extra four large washers in place; just the bolts, spring washers and nuts on the collar just as on mine....

In reply to # 3627801 by melbaver I just confronted that rear exhaust hanger, intuitive it isn't. Fortunately John Twist to the rescue though I think there are three errors in his method.

He doesn't use the four flat washers that come with the kit.....they are plainly visible in the picture at #9

He puts the insulating washers at either end of the bobbin rather than both at the top of the bobbin on opposite sides of the bracket. Kelvin mentions this in another post, I'm no where near that smart.

He assembles both sides of the collar on the bottom of the bracket, I could be very wrong, but logically I'd think the collar would go both sides of the hanging bracket.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 06:31 AM by Donthuis.

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3627837 by Donthuis

PS The picture of my earlier post also does NOT show these extra four large washers in place; just the bolts, spring washers and nuts on the collar just as on mine....

I can see large washers on the uppermost insulating washers, and at the bottom of the cotton reels.and what appears to be a brassish colour spring washer on each.............or is my mind getting fanciful at this time of night.

I suspect you are correct about introducing the extra width of the hanger bracket into the collar, would be impractical.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

GlennMGB Avatar
GlennMGB Glenn G
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"
I think the old style flat rubber block hangers fail because the exhaust pipe expands and pulls the metal off of each side of the rubber block. Normally the center hanger should not succumb to this force because it doesn't clamp the pipe. I found the stock arrangement too rattly and started using a universal hanger strap with a clamp both in the center and rear positions. The disadvantage to this is that the straps transmit more noise to the cabin, so now I'm considering using the later stock bracket on the rear of the '67. Anyone tried fitting the later stock bracket in the center position as well?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster