LITTLE GREEN WIRE
  This topic is about my 1979 MG MGB MkIV
peter8004 Avatar
peter8004 Peter Dhama
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "4th Time"
1973 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB MkIV
Gents, i just picked up this LE... Gorgeous all original 79. Number 244 of 250. Anyway, I had one of these brand new and sold it years ago. Since, I have had my 73 which I sold after 20 odd years. Now the question. I dont ever recall a wire like this on my previous car. It attached to the back of the carb... any thoughts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCN0437.JPG    80.2 KB
DSCN0437.JPG

DSCN0436.JPG    64.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCN0438.JPG    70.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
Induction heater wire.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
mgbmac Avatar
mgbmac Silver Member James Patrick
Darien, CT, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
Peter,
That green wire attaches to a square block heater that is supposed to work in cold weather. I believe John Twist has a video regarding it's use and usefulness. It tends to crack and can be a source of vacuum leaks. I replaced mine with a solid piece from VB. Have fun, Jim

peter8004 Avatar
peter8004 Peter Dhama
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "4th Time"
1973 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB MkIV
i followed the wire to a box just under the fuse box... looks like a relay of some kind with two prongs. one of which the green wire is attached to.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
You have some tracing to do. See attached.

In reply to # 3626716 by peter8004 i followed the wire to a box just under the fuse box... looks like a relay of some kind with two prongs. one of which the green wire is attached to.

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

Attachments:
0178B539-2C43-4E3D-87F8-DCF97D71E49A.jpeg    66.7 KB
0178B539-2C43-4E3D-87F8-DCF97D71E49A.jpeg

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
As others noted, it goes to the induction heater. The cylindrical part with a domed end is a thermal switch that closes below a certain temperature (I don't recall what temperature, but, IIRC, it's a ways below freezing. When it closes, current flows through a heater coil that warms the intake air/fuel mixture entering the intake manifold.

It sounds like the PO of your car added a relay in series with the heater.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 07:05 PM by course2kid.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
wow....looks like you bought a time capsule!

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster