AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Leaky Fuel Filter
  This topic is about my 1970 MG MGB
benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
Since my bad tank of gas a few months back, I've been replacing the fuel filter with some regularity. It seems to be about every other tank. I've gone back to using the plastic filters, and visually monitor them for brown sludge build up(I've run into one getting completely clogged, so when I see them start to get grungy I change pre-emptively). In any case, I'm hoping tho get enough gas through the car that it will no longer be necessary. For the time being, I'm using Carquest branded filters as I found them on sale at Advance Auto for $1.50 and bought a handful, but it looks the same and is packaged the same(two short pieces of hose, 4 spring clips) as STP and NAPA Gold filters I've bought. I suspect all are the same.

In any case, just today I noticed that there seems to be a small leak on the inlet side of the filter. I suspect it goes away at cruising, but is there if the engine is idling or if the pump is on without the engine running.

I replaced the hose from the hard line to the filter(along with the filter to carb hose and crossover hose) with ethanol rated ones a while back. Just to be sure, though, I cut back 1" or so of the hardline to filter hose as I know this sometimes gets stretched and gives a less than perfect seal.

The hose is a TIGHT fit on the barb, and although I use a spring clip there's no getting the filter off unless I put the clip out of the way.

BTW, I'm also running an SU electronic fuel pump, and it's feeding into dual HS4s.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Molding flash on the barb?

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Ben,
You are aware that the hard fuel line on the body is 5/16" diameter whilst the carburetor inlet is 1/4" diameter? Ensure you are using the correct size hoses, clamps & filter to match inlet/outlet sizes.
Not all filters come with different inlet/outlet size

B

Check your ego Amigo!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Ben,
Why not just replace the tank and be done with it? Had a fellow owner a couple of months ago that removed his tank after many fuel supply and carb problems, he found about one cup of finely ground rust in the tank, no way you're ever going to get it reliably clear just changing filters.

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
In reply to # 3627458 by ClayJ Ben,
Why not just replace the tank and be done with it? Had a fellow owner a couple of months ago that removed his tank after many fuel supply and carb problems, he found about one cup of finely ground rust in the tank, no way you're ever going to get it reliably clear just changing filters.

Yes, I've conceded to doing this...it's just a matter now of having a free day to get the old tank loose and a new one on.

BTW, I do have the correct lines hardline-filter and filter-carb

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
Don't know the history of the crap tank of gas you got, but if you keep dragging this much out of the tank it probably needs to be dropped and cleaned or replaced? I would get real tired of changing filters this much.

I like the type of hose clamps you cinch down by screws.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster