Oil cooler bypass
  This topic is about my 1972 MG MGB
Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
For a car without an oil cooler, what is needed to bypass it?
I read in some other post that I will need just one of the standard rubber oil cooler hoses and route it back to the oil filter directly. I suppose this will work. But which rubber hose you recommend getting? There are several listed for different model years. My engine is 1972 by the way.

I also saw some photos with a metal pipe instead. Like the one below. Any idea if Moss carries this? and if it will work on a 1972 engine?

Thanks

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 11:01 PM by Ahmed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
2011-12-18 14.24.05.jpg    54.4 KB
2011-12-18 14.24.05.jpg

lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada   CAN
There is a part number in Moss 435-585 for the correct hose. The metal pipe is not available unless you come upon one used.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
$22 englishparts.com
HOSE, RUBBER, OIL FILTER BYPASS HOSE

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ldivi2 louis d
long island, ny, USA   USA
I probably missed something here. Why bypass an oil cooler that is not there ? Also, if there is an oiler cooler you do not want to use, why ? I installed one a few years ago and dropped water temp 10*.

lewk Avatar
Oil coolers were not always fitted as standard equipment therefore the bypass line. There is an ongoing debate as to the necessity of oil coolers, especially in cooler climates. It has been said that too cool oil is probably as bad as too hot oil. My understanding is that most oils are made to run in the 190 to 200 degree F. range, synthetics up to 300.

In reply to # 3627378 by ldivi2 I probably missed something here. Why bypass an oil cooler that is not there ? Also, if there is an oiler cooler you do not want to use, why ? I installed one a few years ago and dropped water temp 10*.

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, Delaware, USA   USA
For over 35 years now I have run my B 4 cyl. engines with no oil cooler! Would do 30k a year & ran one engine 200,000 miles. Made real good powey,9-1 compression ratio, Balanced, MG 1/2 race 714 cam, mild port work on the head, lighten flywheel. Would say it was a true 95 H.P. engine. I would pull a trailer or other small british car with my GT, pulled a Sunbeam Alpine from Longview Tx. back to De. WE built a lot of B engines & told the new owners not to use the oil cooler. Only time I would say to use the oil cooler was in very hot states, S. Cal., Tx.,Az.

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
The steel pipe might be for a Marina.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
I have 3 hard pipes. Three different shapes. It depends on which oil filter base you have. 1 looks like the one you have pictured. One is similar but is for the hanging filter. One is for the inverted filter but goes underneath the distributor.

I just found I have a leaking oil cooler hose so I'm going to put one in until I replace the hose. I could be convinced to part with one I'm not using. PM me if you're interested.

I ran the engine (18GK) currently in my 64B in another car for years (in Florida) with no noticeable cooling issues. The only reason I have an oil cooler now is it came with the car.

P.S. It's my understanding that the Mk. IV cars didn't come with an oil cooler standard. It was an optional item.

geezer Avatar
1974 MG MGB GT
I have considered bypassing the cooler on mine. I would be interested in a pipe for the inverted filter along with the Banjo bolt.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

adobejoe Andy Rose
Powell, wyoming, USA   USA
I removed my oil cooler because the hoses cluttered up the engine bay and make it hard to access the distributer. Not to mention It is in front of the radiator so is blocking air and adversely impacting the radiator function. Anyone want to buy it...$20 and postage and it is yours!

Andy

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Makes warmup quicker too.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

geezer Avatar
1974 MG MGB GT
Found this image of a 79 RBB engine. It has the same pipe as shown in post #1. Looks like the pipe was used on the late MGB. My 77 RBB had a hose that I thought was an abomination of desolation.

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
For many of the metal bypass pipes the old ones tend to seize at the rear block fitting and when you attempt to loosen the fitting it twist the hard line. I suspect that's what perished a lot of the old stock ones.

lewk Avatar
Note my bypass hose is braided (cover). I think it looks better than just the rubber one hanging there.

Attachments:
IMG_3479.JPG    59.1 KB
IMG_3479.JPG

33EJB Avatar
33EJB Tim C
LS, Eastern Ontario, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGB
In reply to # 3627519 by Noble66 P.S. It's my understanding that the Mk. IV cars didn't come with an oil cooler standard. It was an optional item.

The oil cooler was likely omitted in the later MGBs by the British Leyland bean counters merely as a cost cutting measure rather than as a functional improvement.

BL was bleeding cash by then and was pinching pennies anywhere they could in an effort to stave off the inevitable financial reckoning.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster