AutoShrine Sponsor

sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Don't forget M. L. Re: Cords and Hoses.

In reply to # 3626575 by Bruce Cunha I seem to remember Murphys corollaries. #5 under Assembly appears to fit.

Mechanical

1. Interchangeable parts won't.
2. The probability of a diagram or a specification being omitted from a shop manual is directly proportional to its importance.
3 .A dropped tool will land where it will cause the most damage; also known as the Law of Selective Gravity.
4. The availability of a part is inversely proportional to the need for the part.

Assembly

1. Disassembly of a major component will invariably include a seized bolt.
2. Tolerances will accumulate unidirectionally towards maximum difficulty of assembly.
3. The necessity for correcting mistakes in assembly increases as the assembly approaches completion.
4. After assembly, it will always be observed that the gasket is on the bench.
5. A dropped nut will seek the least level of accessibility.
6. A screwdriver will always slip when in the proximity of painted surfaces--Law of Centrifugal Malfeasance.

Dimensions

1. Any line, wire, or cloth cut to length will be too short.
2. Any rigid material cut to fit will be too long. When corrected, it will be too short.

Operation

1 .Probability of failure of a component is inversely proportional to the ease of repair or replacement.
2. An electrical component protected by a fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
red49ner Roy M
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
1972 MG MGB GT "The "B"
I found myriads of bits n pieces during my current tear down including spare fuses, nuts, bolts, washers, about $20 worth of change, a quality flat screw driver, half inch Sidchrome spanner, couple of old lighters and even a spare round gear stick knob that literally rolled out from under the drivers seat. So keep digging mate - if you don't find the copper washer you may yet find something equally as good.smiling smiley cheers Roy

red49ner Roy M
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
1972 MG MGB GT "The "B"
I was told once that washing machines when spinning create a worm hole in the time/space continuum. That's why you can put in a pair of sox and only have one sock come out. Apparently on the other side of the universe some guy is pulling out his washing and saying to his wife ... "look dear we got three sox again"... Same sort of principle may exist with the workshop mobile black hole theory? I wonder ... winking smiley Cheers Roy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
I just had my MGCGT totally apart for a respray. The painter returned a small ziplock bag of about a dozen small parts and one stubby 1/2 wrench that I "lost" over the last 15 years..

Taddeo Avatar
Taddeo Todd V
Batesville, Georgia, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
Here's a newbie lesson learned. HIF carbs have a gasket between the carb and the air filter mounting plate. Removing the air filter bolts will cause these gaskets to drop, likely catching on the inner fender. I have scientific evidence that the gasket can and sometimes will lounge in this position even during a brief road test up to 60 mph. If the dummy who didn't know such gaskets existed continues to ignore their presence, one will jump off the fender and land on the driveway/garage floor, virtually shouting out their existence until noticed, identified, and returned to their natural habitat.

The same does not fully hold true for the filter mounting bolts which, if dropped during removal, will hide somewhere out of sight (and mind) until later bailing out during said test drive. I strongly encourage all roadster owners to conduct all test drives with the top down as this may allow you to hear the bolt hitting the pavement thereby providing at least a general stretch of highway on which to focus the Search and Rescue mission that will inevitably ensue.

No original work of art was ever created by carefully coloring inside the lines.
1974 MGB No a/c, o/d, pw, pdl, ps, tilt, cruise, zoned heating, collision avoidance, backup cameras, or radio. Hey, that sounds like my Harleys!

Midgnuts Avatar
Midgnuts Silver Member Dean Webb
Medford,, OR, USA   USA
As my last resort I break out the air hose and blow in all the nooks & crannies I can't see in or get to otherwise.
I've spent hours looking just as a matter of principal and probably have a 95 % or more find rate.
Amazing what I find sometimes that I didn't know was lost. Some from the previous owner I suppose.
To much time on my hands I guess. I like to win. Makes me feel like I accomplished something of importance for a short time.

Finally a fresh engine and rebuilt tranny and the TR 6 is running very well.

Next project is the BGT.

DW

Attachments:
IMG_0415.JPG    51.3 KB
IMG_0415.JPG

Eng.jpg    44.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
My GT 6.jpg    25 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
jmot Avatar
jmot Gold Member john motycka
coventry, ct, USA   USA
Thank you all for the interesting replies. I still have not found it, but when trying to bleed the clutch, as I felt I just about had it, i suddenly had no pedal. Seems the banjo tubing joint at the rear of the cylinder started leaking. So,,, I have ordered a new tubing as well as new washers, complete with a spare of each., Will this project ever be over. I have switched to silicone fluid, which I already had in the brakes, but my nice painted engine bay now has blistered paint from my first attempt to bleed the clutch a couple weeks ago - thus the change to silicone after the horse had left the barn, so to speak.

John

willis84 Silver Member james fitzpatrick
Charleston, South Carolina, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Great stuff Bruce and ridiculously true!
Jim

Steve S. Stephen Strange
Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkII "The Mouse Trap"
I firmly believe that dropped parts disappear through a space-time warp and end up in the parallel dimension of lost parts. It's right next to the parallel dimension of lost socks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 08:58 PM by Steve S..

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Found It!
There it was on the floor of the garage. Just where the black hole deposited it.
winking smiley

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

Attachments:
991BE467-CD62-42CD-867D-F4B3609064B8.jpeg    72.1 KB
991BE467-CD62-42CD-867D-F4B3609064B8.jpeg

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Your welcome. I saw it on my garage floor, recognized that it was the part you were looking for, so I just left it there instead of picking it up, like I'd usually do.

When I went into the garage today it was gone so I knew it was back on your garage floor.

In reply to # 3627175 by rocannon Found It!
There it was on the floor of the garage. Just where the black hole deposited it.
winking smiley

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
This is starting to get weird... John lost it, was looking for it, and now we find it went thru your garage on the way to here! devil smiley

Startin’ to think a wormhole is involved.

In reply to # 3627180 by Wray Your welcome. I saw it on my garage floor, recognized that it was the part you were looking for, so I just left it there instead of picking it up, like I'd usually do.

When I went into the garage today it was gone so I knew it was back on your garage floor.

In reply to # 3627175 by rocannon Found It!
winking smiley

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

Steve S. Stephen Strange
Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkII "The Mouse Trap"
Evidently it is possible for a wormhole to connect to the parallel dimension of lost parts. Now, where is that sock?

TD10971 Avatar
TD10971 Nelson K
long island, NY, USA   USA
I'm always finding nuts,bolts and washers........never ever locate the one I lost

jmot Avatar
jmot Gold Member john motycka
coventry, ct, USA   USA
Frank:

No wonder I could not find it, it's in your garage. Don't bother to mail it to me, I will soon have another.
John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster