MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Why you shouldn't split your calipers(and why I do anyways)

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3626439 by Gerry Just wondering-has ANYONE ever seen a documented case of the caliper bolts failing after being removed and replaced? Not talking about what your brother in laws neighbor heard someone saying down at the barbershop. Talking about facts that were documented and verified. Anyone?

Only thing like this I recall is an experience Wayne had a while back.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2458263,2458263#msg-2458263

Now, who knows what bolts were used and how tight, but something just dawned on me that didn't when Wayne posted about the incident. I took the car for a test drive about a year before the caliper failure!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 06:38 PM by Rod H..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fred Winterburn Avatar
Ripley, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Can't speak for Lockheeds, but there has been a lot written about not splitting Girling calipers like the ones on my 66 Volvo. Everything I needed for the rebuild (18 years ago) came with the new kit except the square cut o-rings to seal the caliper halves. I tore them apart anyway and the amount of junk left inside made me glad I did so. The old o-rings were like new. Brake fluid is the ultimate preservative for rubber and that is probably why the rubber bits that are never subjected to abrasive wear or the elements weren't included with the kit. The bolts stretching? On a Girling caliper, no way. I'd use them over and over again. And now after 18 years with silicone brake fluid, with a total of 51 years with the original caliper half sealing o-rings intact with two kinds of brake fluid, the calipers still don't leak. Fred
In reply to # 3626482 by Rod H.
In reply to # 3626439 by Gerry Just wondering-has ANYONE ever seen a documented case of the caliper bolts failing after being removed and replaced? Not talking about what your brother in laws neighbor heard someone saying down at the barbershop. Talking about facts that were documented and verified. Anyone?

Only thing like this I recall is an experience Wayne had a while back.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2458263,2458263#msg-2458263

Now, who knows what bolts were used and how tight, but something just dawned on me that didn't when Wayne posted about the incident. I took the car for a test drive about a year before the caliper failure!

'Anyone who likes liver, can't taste it'
'If you want to repair car electrical systems successfully, learn Ohm's Law'.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
Was that ME Joe or different Joe ??? No dispute. If that is Joe ME that we are talking too, just saying if unknown, look it up ??? That is what I, Me would do. Does that make sense to you or just ME ??

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
I never noticed the little splotch on the new bolts - but it makes sense. I always use new bolts if and when I split my calipers - but I'm pretty sure a new category 8 bolt with blue threadlocker would do as well.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

tjt77 timothy Trevithick
Grass Valley, California, USA   USA
I believe I still have a couple of NOS lockheed 'caliper rebuild kits' stored among my parts inventory .. the packages contain:- 2 new bolts and the rubber ring that fits in the recess where the 2 halves join.. as well as a small tube of rubber grease..
I've split many calipers over the years.. and put them back together re-using the old hardware.. I do put a dab of locktite on the bolt threads though.. never had any issues when doing this to date..

mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
J R's Garage (Joel is a member on the MGC forum) shot a very informative Youtube video showing the rebuild of MGC brake calipers.

David8831 Avatar
David8831 David Halliday
Thame, Oxfordshire, UK   GBR
You can't buy new V8 callipers, so you have to rebuild those. In fact, if you want to make some you can use Triumph 2000 inner halves and MGB outer halves. That gives you the wider opening for the thicker V8 disc. I have made a few sets with new bolts and o-rings. No issues at all.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
There is one issue in the US; sourcing the Triumph 2000 half of the caliper. RAY

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster