AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jeff in Iowa Avatar
Jeff in Iowa Jeffrey J
Iowa City, Iowa, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
My hood vent is impossible to open or close while seated. I rigged up a handle that hangs down so now I can manage to open and close it while driving without opening the door and reaching up there on my knees. Did MGBs originally have a handle of some sort that my ‘70 was missing?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
focodave Avatar
focodave Dave Baker
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT "Gidget"
Jeff,

I'm not sure if this will make you feel any better, but my '70 is exactly the same as yours.
I have to get on my knees to be able to see and grasp the handle to operate the vent.
If I tried to operate it from the driver's seat, I would need to have 2 wrists on one arm in order to get my hand at the proper angle.confused smiley

Dave

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Yes - most often the question here is "what's this white knob do?" and the answer is "opens the fresh air vent".

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
Well if you think you need two wrists spare a thought for us with the steering wheel on the correct side tongue sticking out smiley

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Attachments:
vent7.jpg    6 KB
vent7.jpg

Jeff in Iowa Avatar
Jeff in Iowa Jeffrey J
1970 MG MGB
Then it was rinky dink from the factory. Not as greivous as the heater control valve I suppose.

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Use the one from a RB car that has the longer arm. Check the buy, sell, trade forum if you want the one that will work for you.

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
The knob on the 70 is black....

Try lubricating the hinges and the spring loaded roller. Mine works ok.

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Thye spring loaded roller needs to be well lubricated and not binding anywhere. Then you simply pull backwards on the lever which is on the left side of the vent. Should be a doddle for LHD cars.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 05:07 AM by melbaver.

MGB567 Avatar
"Then you simply pull backwards on the lever which is on the right side of the vent"

You mean:

"Then you simply pull backwards on the lever which is on the left side of the vent"

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3626629 by MGB567 "Then you simply pull backwards on the lever which is on the right side of the vent"

You mean:

"Then you simply pull backwards on the lever which is on the left side of the vent"

Fixed

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Jeff in Iowa Avatar
Jeff in Iowa Jeffrey J
1970 MG MGB
My custom high tech hardware store vent control.

Attachments:
B4B8B3E6-F6D4-4B87-B8DE-A037E4700578.jpeg    38.1 KB
B4B8B3E6-F6D4-4B87-B8DE-A037E4700578.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster