AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Taddeo Avatar
Taddeo Todd V
Batesville, Georgia, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
Didn't see a forum for this so I hope this is okay here. PO had the B repainted and passed along the remnants of painting supplies. There are a couple of scratches and chips in the paint I'd like to try to address but I know little about paints. Can I use these? Do I need to mix some/all together? If so, how do I determine correct ratios? Thanks for any assistance.

No original work of art was ever created by carefully coloring inside the lines.
1974 MGB No a/c, o/d, pw, pdl, ps, tilt, cruise, zoned heating, collision avoidance, backup cameras, or radio. Hey, that sounds like my Harleys!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
thumbnail_image2.jpg    22.3 KB
thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg    18.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
dawvid Avatar
dawvid David B
Sharon, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Yes, I believe you have to mix the 2 together and possible thin the paint as well.

They have a certain "pot life" before they harden. It varies, but might be around an hour or so.

Use Google to search for the exact details about ratios, pot life, temperature, thinning, etc. Maybe something like "Nason paint mixing"

David

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

Steve Lyle Avatar
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1972 Lotus Elan
1972 MG MGB
Every paint manufacturer has tech data sheets available for their various paints, that contain info about usage, including mixing ratios. I'd start at the manufacturer's web site. Of course, the info might be on the can, as well.

Generally you're going to have to mix the color with reducer (aka thinner) and a hardener. There may, and probably are, multiple reducers for various application temperatures.

Documenting my project in my journal at http://www.mgexperience.net/journal/index/Steve+Lyle

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Taddeo Avatar
Taddeo Todd V
1974 MG MGB
Thanks guys. I should have been more clear in my question. I’ve read the cans and the mfg info on line. It all relates to spraying. Can I mix some up and brush it on to repair scratches and dings? Would the mix ratios be the same as spraying?

No original work of art was ever created by carefully coloring inside the lines.
1974 MGB No a/c, o/d, pw, pdl, ps, tilt, cruise, zoned heating, collision avoidance, backup cameras, or radio. Hey, that sounds like my Harleys!

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
Yes, should be the same mix ratio. You could experiment with a small batch by leaving out the reducer, but it may not matter.

I have used the same basic brand on my '76 to repaint trunk lid. When I was done spraying, I touched up some areas after good prep with a paint brush of the mix. It was a little thin, but worked well for a light coat.

What you are missing is a silicone wax/grease remover solution to wipe down the area you want to touch up. The one I used was only in a gallon size, and it wasn't cheap.

Call a real auto paint store and see what else can be used. If you get no where, using a the reducer on a q-tip would probably be a decent option.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Good info, yes, you can mix up a small batch to touch up paint. Make sure you use something like a pot pie tin or similar, don't mix it in a plastic cup. If you mix 4 to 1, paint to hardener, you should be good to go. For touch up you probably won't need the reducer.

As William noted, use some wax and grease remover to clean the area to be touched up before painting. I use the small Testor model brushes for touch up.

saanich2006 Avatar
saanich2006 Robert Browning
Atlanta, Georgia, USA   USA
I used this exact paint on my engine compartment.

It is a 8:1:2 ratio paint-hardner- reducer

Yes you can mix the paint and use it for touch up, but it has a pot life of only a short while (something like 4 hours), so do not mix up more than you need.

You do not have to thin it for what you are doing. However, you can thin it and it works well with a Preval sprayer

http://www.axaltacs.com/content/dam/NA/HQ/Public/Nason/Documents/TDS/NSN-TDS-Ful-Thane-IB-Quality-Eng.pdf

"He had delusions of adequacy."

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

Taddeo Avatar
Taddeo Todd V
1974 MG MGB
Thanks William, Wray and Robert. That's exactly the info I needed. Paint's not my thing at all so this is very helpful. I've got a long list of basic maintenance stuff to do to my NTM (New To Me) B this weekend and it's going to be too cool for paint I expect so the touch up work will likely wait a few weeks but I appreciate having the facts I need to tackle that when the time comes. I'm planning on a driver for now so perfect isn't the goal - just want to cover up the breeches.

Moutard Avatar
Moutard Silver Member Frank French
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1966 MG MGB GT "Ugly Betty"
Wear a mask with organic filters.. even when mixing , 3M 6001 Organic Vapors cartridges or similar will get most vapours but that stuff contains isocyanates and even mixing it is not good to breath.. might not kill you now but there are a many painters who did not get old. Just saying... super glue in the lungs ain't healthy..

From the bottom of the painting link:
http://www.axaltacs.com/content/dam/NA/HQ/Public/Nason/Documents/TDS/NSN-TDS-Ful-Thane-IB-Quality-Eng.pdf

"SAFETY AND HANDLING
For industrial use only by professional, trained painters. Not for sale to or use by the general public. Before using, read and follow all label and SDS/MSDS precautions. If mixed with other components, mixture will have hazards of all components.
Ready to use paint materials containing isocyanates can cause irritation of the respiratory organs and hypersensitive reactions. Asthma sufferers, those with allergies and anyone with a history of respiratory complaints must not be asked to work with products containing isocyanates."

You can get external air kits on the auction sites. I've painted a few cars as a hobby and enamel, no iso I'll use a mask but other than that even mixing it I suit up and use external air.

Sort of like using jack stands.. eye protection all that other safety stuff that's out there for a reason. IMHO

Frank

Taddeo Avatar
Taddeo Todd V
1974 MG MGB
Thanks Frank. Good reminders.

Sinewave Avatar
Sinewave T. Keith Vezina
Kenner, LA, USA   USA
I use eye droppers and NyQuil cups to mix up minute batches for touch-ups. Counting drops from an eye dropper is a surprisingly accurate way to measure.

T. Keith Vezina
British Motoring Club New Orleans
1976 MGB, 1976 MGB Trailer & 1967 MGB MK. I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 03:44 PM by Sinewave.

Taddeo Avatar
Taddeo Todd V
1974 MG MGB
In reply to # 3626976 by Sinewave I use eye droppers and NyQuil cups to mix up minute batches for touch-ups. Counting drops from an eye dropper is a surprisingly accurate way to measure.

That’s a great idea! Thanks!

MRoadster Avatar
MRoadster Gold Member Jim Wulf
Doylestown, PA, USA   USA
1938 MG TA Tickford "The TA"
1963 Ford Thunderbird "The M Car"
1967 MG MGB MkI "The B"
In reply to # 3624936 by saanich2006 I used this exact paint on my engine compartment.

It is a 8:1:2 ratio paint-hardner- reducer

Yes you can mix the paint and use it for touch up, but it has a pot life of only a short while (something like 4 hours), so do not mix up more than you need.

You do not have to thin it for what you are doing. However, you can thin it and it works well with a Preval sprayer

I use that same Nason paint for both touchups and small spray jobs, mixed exactly as Robert and Keith have described. When applying with a brush to small nicks or scratches, use several thin coats applied over several days to build the paint up. Don't try to apply a thick coat all at once as it will run on vertical surfaces and take forever to harden on horizontal surfaces. Once the new paint is built up slightly higher than the existing paint, and has dried good and hard for several days, you can block it down to the surrounding surface with progressively finer grades of wet/dry paper and finish with a good rubbing compound. If done correctly, no one will be able to detect the repair. Patience is the key.

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
If you are going to touch up with a brush, Go to your auto paint store and get these. They are great for small nicks and scratches. Clean the area with a product such as Prepsol to remove any wax or silicon that may have been applied. Fill the scratch/nick with just enough paint to fill the scratch/nick. Let it dry. Come back the next day and fill it again. You can get pretty close to level this way. If it runs out of the scratch/nick, just wipe it off the paint prior to it drying and try again.

http://www.eastwood.com/touch-up-applicators-pack-40.html

Bruce E. Cunha

Taddeo Avatar
Taddeo Todd V
1974 MG MGB
Thanks Jim and Bruce!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster