AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Vapor lock was the SUPPLY to old mechanical pumps getting hot so the pump could not prime. We don't have that problem. With an electric pump in the rear, no one should be getting vapor lock. Within a few seconds, it will fill the bowl. Heat soak will boil the gas out of the bowl and the first few ounces of gas may just boil off. The water pot on the Cannon manifold will pretty much prevent that. A lot of "vapor lock" problems are hot coils, bad igniters, condensers, and other electrical issues. So, what you are saying is you have starting problems after heat soak.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dryflycaster Avatar
Dryflycaster Bill K
Caroga Lake, New York, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
I did not say that at all. I said I diagnose it as a vapor lock problem, because it has all the symptoms of such.. I never said it was a vapor lock problem. I never provided the complete scenario of what takes place or what I have done to try to figure out the problem.. And I do not plan to at this point, mainly to to ward off all of the uneducated guesses such as yours.

In reply to # 3624844 by tvrgeek Vapor lock was the SUPPLY to old mechanical pumps getting hot so the pump could not prime. We don't have that problem. With an electric pump in the rear, no one should be getting vapor lock. Within a few seconds, it will fill the bowl. Heat soak will boil the gas out of the bowl and the first few ounces of gas may just boil off. The water pot on the Cannon manifold will pretty much prevent that. A lot of "vapor lock" problems are hot coils, bad igniters, condensers, and other electrical issues. So, what you are saying is you have starting problems after heat soak.

Ever Wonder ?

_bill

Currently Running: 78 B Roadster

Needs Help: 54 Healey100-4

PatrickLewis.net Avatar
PatrickLewis.net Patrick Lewis
Brandon, Florida, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Green Monster"
1977 MG MGB
Thanks for noticing the canteen. That is my radiator overflow canister. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I was looking for a british one (or something with the union jack on it), but could not find a good one. Picked the one I have up at the local army-navy store.

Brandon MG Club
www.PickNHLGames.com
www.PickNFLGames.com
www.PatrickLewis.net

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Wow, some people don't seem to want to understand how things work and just throw solutions at unknown problems and hope one of them fixed their problem. To each their own.

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Patrick,
Give the guys at Engine Armor Coatings a call. Only a few miles from Brandon.

I have not used them myself, but I others I know said they are pretty good.

Engine Armor Coatings
1529 Hobbs St, Tampa
(813) 685-8333

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
Dryflycaster Avatar
Dryflycaster Bill K
Caroga Lake, New York, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
And some people are Pompous AHs who feel they need to stick their nose into places, with insulting remarks, where they were not asked to be, in order, I assume, to boost their own subpar alter ego. I'm not impressed, one bit, with what you THINK you know !

If I was looking for help with my hot stalling and restarting problem I would have posted a new DETAILED thread of my own. People who cared to respond would then have all or at least most of the facts before spouting off and trying to impress everyone with what they THINK they know.

I intentionally provided some very limited information, to the original poster, so that they would have an idea of why I was asking for further information on the modifications that what they had performed and how I might be able utilize them if they felt free to share it with me.

At this stage of my life, having worked on and driven almost every conceivable vehicle from road cars, trucks, tractors and 1,000 plus HP NASCAR Modifieds, I generally could care less about how most of the antiquated systems of a MGB work. The B is nothing more than what I consider to be a toy and my main interest is how to keep it running, basically trouble free.

I have probably forgotten more about automobiles than you THINK you know. If at a later date, I do start a thread/post concerning the Hot Stalling and Starting problems I am experiencing with my B, please feel free to step in and once again let me know just how ignorant and bullheaded I am. And do have a great day !

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In reply to # 3625079 by tvrgeek Wow, some people don't seem to want to understand how things work and just throw solutions at unknown problems and hope one of them fixed their problem. To each their own.

Ever Wonder ?

_bill

Currently Running: 78 B Roadster

Needs Help: 54 Healey100-4

CRH Charley H
Prospect, Kentucky, USA   USA
Well, Bill, in post 32 you said. “I never said it was a vapor lock problem.” Then you go off on your bragging tirade.

In post 26 I count three times that you said you have a vapor lock problem:

1) I've been having, what I've diagnosed as vapor lock problems with our B
2) but even with all that extra heat I never had a vapor lock issue
3) and Bingo, the vapor lock problem rears it's ugly head

WTF?

PatrickLewis.net Avatar
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3625175 by Mustangsix Patrick,
Give the guys at Engine Armor Coatings a call. Only a few miles from Brandon.

I have not used them myself, but I others I know said they are pretty good.

Engine Armor Coatings
1529 Hobbs St, Tampa
(813) 685-8333

I did give them a call and it was very reasonable, $80. I removed the manifold and have before pictures. It came off really easy, not a lot of force needed for any of the 6 bolts and no broken ones like we had on the 77 roadster.

Oh and here is a pic of the heat shield showing the cut outs.

Brandon MG Club
www.PickNHLGames.com
www.PickNFLGames.com
www.PatrickLewis.net

Attachments:
Exhaust before (1).jpg    59.6 KB
Exhaust before (1).jpg

Exhaust before.jpg    65.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Heat Shield.jpg    41.7 KB
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Scott,

The intake manifold can be ceramic coated externally (nothing on the inside) to act as a radiant barrier. I recommend this along with the interior/exterior of the exhaust...

In reply to # 3623696 by tvrgeek On the rare occasions Rob and I agree, I will give him a ++

A word of warning. The coating reduces radiation so well, you may find yourself working around the engine and forget the manifold is hot until you bump it. Then of course the result is obvious. This comes as direct second hand information. (Thank you Marc, may you RIP my friend)

At one time ( I am out of date on this) there were coatings for the intake that would reduce their radiant gain. Polishing it may do about the same.

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, Washington, USA   USA
x2 on Rob's comments.

In reply to # 3623514 by ohlord performancecoatings.com
Brad
He's done many of ours

PatrickLewis.net Avatar
1977 MG MGB
I bought the Fel Pro 3009 gasket sheet and it looks to be a good insulation option. One question on mounting orientation, it has a metal side and a insulator side. I am thinking the insulator should be on the inside when I attach it to the metal heat shield rather than on the outside (facing down). Does that sound correct, or should it be the other way around?

Brandon MG Club
www.PickNHLGames.com
www.PickNFLGames.com
www.PatrickLewis.net

Flint Avatar
Flint Richard Conroy
Tucson, Arizona, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Maggie" ~ For Sale ! ~
1978 MG MGB MkIV
I agree with the others, wrap cracked mine...

Attachments:
cracked.JPG    35.1 KB
cracked.JPG

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Yes, outside only. Note the DGV manifold NEEDS some heat to deal with the long tubes that cause cold wall dropout, a major issue with cold start and warmup. This is why I suggest putting on the water pot or tube depending on brand. Get it some heat and help prevent it from getting too hot. Coating it does look good though.

In reply to # 3627139 by tahoe36c Scott,

The intake manifold can be ceramic coated externally (nothing on the inside) to act as a radiant barrier. I recommend this along with the interior/exterior of the exhaust...

In reply to # 3623696 by tvrgeek On the rare occasions Rob and I agree, I will give him a ++

A word of warning. The coating reduces radiation so well, you may find yourself working around the engine and forget the manifold is hot until you bump it. Then of course the result is obvious. This comes as direct second hand information. (Thank you Marc, may you RIP my friend)

At one time ( I am out of date on this) there were coatings for the intake that would reduce their radiant gain. Polishing it may do about the same.

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
I’d install it with the insulator inside. Protected from mechanical damage, and the perforations in the metal facing will prevent trapping of water.

In reply to # 3627384 by PatrickLewis.net I bought the Fel Pro 3009 gasket sheet and it looks to be a good insulation option. One question on mounting orientation, it has a metal side and a insulator side. I am thinking the insulator should be on the inside when I attach it to the metal heat shield rather than on the outside (facing down). Does that sound correct, or should it be the other way around?

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 10:34 AM by rocannon.

PatrickLewis.net Avatar
1977 MG MGB
Here are the after pictures of the manifold after coating.

Brandon MG Club
www.PickNHLGames.com
www.PickNFLGames.com
www.PatrickLewis.net

Attachments:
Exhaust after.jpg    57.3 KB
Exhaust after.jpg

Exhaust after (1).jpg    52.3 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster