AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, Tennessee, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
I've been looking online for a reasonably priced ballpoint pen with an MG logo but haven't had any luck. I found one possible source, but didn't like the look of the pen. I found one on ebay - but it was in the UK and shipping would be as much or more than the cost of the pen - and I don't know how good the quality is. None of the usual sources for MG paraphernalia (Moss, Triple C, etc.) have anything like that.

I *always* have a pen in my pocket....it's a leftover habit from prior to retirement when it was a necessity. I'm tired of using cheap pens from Wally World. Anyone know of a source for a decent pen with an MG logo in the $15-$20 price range (or maybe a little more)?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Mine all have the MB logo......................Mont Blanc........great pens.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

JoeReed Avatar
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
Yeah....but I'm not looking for one THAT nice. I'm pretty sure I'd lose it in the first week...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
fordgt Avatar
fordgt Gold Member Gary Ford
Gainesville, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Classic-MG-logo-HIGH-QUALITY-ballpoint-pen-MGB-BGT-MGA-MGC-MG-RV8-TC-/401237439374?hash=item5d6b9d738e

looks like 20 euros including shipping? maybe get a couple and combined shipping?

I aspire to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Gary
1974 DeTomaso Pantera (done!!)
1969 MGB (almost finished!!)
1973 Cougar XR7 Ragtop (next project in line)

JoeReed Avatar
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
I saw that one but, to me, the logo looks like a sticker stuck on the pen. Same seller has several like that with other car logos.

I wonder if spikemichael could arrange for a group buy like he did for the watches? Of course, that would require interest from more people than just me!

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, Washington, USA   USA
Have them made at VistaPrint

JoeReed Avatar
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
In reply to # 3617642 by bleteaches6 Have them made at VistaPrint

Those look cheaper than what I had in mind. They look more like freebies you get at the bank...

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
If someone here wanted to take on a project to make one, sign me up as long as its decent quality and preferably available as a fountain pen.

Admittedly, offhand I don't know if there's any company that offers a service like that. The MG logo would, IMO, look great set into the cap of a Pelikan pen but that's beyond what most folks probably would want to pay(admittedly I also like having a Pelikan or a white star poking out of my pocket).

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
Thanks Lee...
Vista print. pfft.

You know Joe, this is something I can do maybe by Thanksgiving. I have friends in writing places...

I remember 'back in the day' dealerships gave away nice pens. There was this one that had a logo in the dome of the cap.
I know they are still made and though I will put a photo up here, I would have to make some calls on Monday to get details.

Your description sounds like a brass pen, maybe a twist action pen?
We could take it one step further and laser engrave the Safety MG Fast logo on the "cap" of the pen with the MG logo in the dome.
I suspect it could be made and shipped for less than that used pen in the ebay ad Gary Ford linked.
By my calculations that pen at 8 Euros and 12 euros for shipping comes out to about $24 USD.

The pen I am thinking of weighs in at roughly 1.6 ounces, I think it uses a Cross type refill, comes with a lifetime guarantee and an extra ink cartridge.
It is matte black with silver (nickel plated Brass) trim and laser etches silver (shiny mirror finish). It is a very nice pen and a pleasure to write with.
I have used this pen in promotions in the past.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-30 04:06 PM by spikemichael.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!

Attachments:
VirtualSample.jpg    5.8 KB
VirtualSample.jpg

dome top.jpg    19.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
I distribute Mont Blanc and also carry Visconti, Waterman, Cross (gold), Parker Premium, Senator President, Christian LaCroix, Montegrappa, and Aurora Ipsilon for those wanting a pen in the 250-600 range... but you might have to buy a dozen or two...

@ Ben,
Fountain pens are wonderful but not universally appreciated. Some days i miss writing with a good reservoir pen.
If you really want a nice fountain pen, the President Fountain Pen w/ Gilt Iridium Nib is a piston fill and merely $2480, individually made, and you only have to order one!

Actually I could likely get you a half dozen for that price because they really do not want to tool up for one pen. Whatabargain!

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Well the right person is now in charge of the task, which reminds me I'd better order my calendar.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

OzDave Avatar
OzDave Dave Barton
London, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3617725 by spikemichael Fountain pens are wonderful but not universally appreciated. Some days i miss writing with a good reservoir pen.

Spot on Michael smileys with beer I thoroughly enjoy writing with my fountain pen; helps maintain my joined-up writing that the keyboard is trying to destroy. Mind you, I recently lost several weeks dealing with a Government agency. I had signed a form with it in black ink and a Snivel Servant Junior Process Monkey insisted that it was a photocopy and not an original signature.

Attachments:
pen-8332.jpg    9.1 KB
pen-8332.jpg

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
Michael,

I know we're venturing off topic, but do you by chance have any old stock of Mont Blanc Midnight Blue ink? I don't have the p/n handy.

Mont Blanc changed the formula 2-3 years ago and removed iron gall(and also changed the color of the ink). This is absolutely one of my favorite inks, but I've been rationing my last bottle of it since I'm having a hard time finding a replacement(I'm mostly using Pelikan blue-black now, but I don't like it as much and I also have to order it from overseas).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 08:59 AM by benhutcherson.

JoeReed Avatar
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
Micheal....that sample you pictured above is exactly what I envisioned! If you can get enough people to order them please put me down for two!!

While fountain pens are wonderful, I haven't used one for years. At work (both before I retired and now that I'm working part time delivering parts) I needed ink to dry instantly, and had to sign too many multipart forms...so a fountain pen wasn't a viable option. I did keep one in my desk (not an expensive one) to use when I had to sign letters, etc., when those things weren't an issue.

mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
Michael,

I like the pen you posted. I would also take two (2) of those pens in ballpoint or rollerball.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster