MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Can Anyone Identify This MGB Sun Block Top?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sama Avatar
sama Sam A
Hartford, WI, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB ~ For Sale ! ~
I was going thru the fantastic photos posted recently from the Toronto show and came across this sun blocker on a B. Saw it again later
in another photo. Does anyone know anything about it? It looks like it might be home made. Wonder if you can travel with it up or is it just
for when you're parked.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0848-XL.jpg    88.7 KB
IMG_0848-XL.jpg

vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1924 Other Not Listed "1924 Cat 2-ton"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
Looks homemade to me. Nice idea. The trailer doesn't catch my fancy much, tho.

Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Imperial Beach, California, USA   USA
In reply to # 3608950 by sama Wonder if you can travel with it up

Don't see why not. Speed boats have these Bimini tops.

BTW here's one from the San Diego show from last week.

There are no bad days at the beach.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0217.JPG    67.4 KB
IMG_0217.JPG

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
The passenger needn't worry about getting sunburnt

There is someone on here who has produced similar for their car ..to me they look like a boat bimimi and I couldn't stand the flapping if there is any ?....but I can also some merit in them at certain times .
That one doesn't seem to extend the full width of the screen ?

The one on the trailer will be for the kids !!

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Here ya go...

In reply to # 3608950 by sama I was going thru the fantastic photos posted recently from the Toronto show and came across this sun blocker on a B. Saw it again later
in another photo. Does anyone know anything about it? It looks like it might be home made. Wonder if you can travel with it up or is it just
for when you're parked.

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

Attachments:
95B5C89A-1AE3-406B-AD2D-1B56A32731E8.jpeg    17.9 KB
95B5C89A-1AE3-406B-AD2D-1B56A32731E8.jpeg

andy1965MGB Avatar
andy1965MGB Silver Member Andy Lincoln
San Diego, California, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB "Blue Jay"
1967 MG MGB GT "Cardinal"
re post #2, I believe that the red MGB with trailer is Elvin Davis',, a pretty active member of NAMGBR. He's done a lot of custom cosmetic changes to the interior, etc. that bring the exterior color into the interior. He drives the car A LOT and drove it from Michigan to MG2017 in San Diego (and back) this summer. The trailer is really interesting: when he takes the canvas off, swivel seats allow folks to sit inside. I understand what #2 is saying, but each to his own, right? I wish I had time / energy to drive my MGB cross country.

Folks who have them really love the Bimini tops. The car in #3 is Lou Galper's, he got it at MG2017 and has said a lot of good things about it. Most all the breeze of a convertible but it keeps the sun off your head.

Andy

oshawaMGguy Avatar
oshawaMGguy Greg Wright
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Not to steal the thread but I was at the show, this MGB parked beside mine. Below are pics of the trailer after he opened it up. It's a pretty cool setup. I don't know about the sun block top.

1974 1/2 Blaze Red MGB, member of the British Saloon Car Club of Canada (EastEnders Chapter)

Attachments:
IMG_20170917_103655.jpg    66.8 KB
IMG_20170917_103655.jpg

IMG_20170917_103706.jpg    76.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1924 Other Not Listed "1924 Cat 2-ton"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
Represent a LOT of work for sure! I wonder where the mini-bar is?

jramstad Avatar
jramstad Silver Member Jeff Ramstad
North Vancouver, B.C., Canada   CAN
Here's my home made bimini Sam, it's a cut down hood fitted on a pack away frame.

Works great and doesn't flap at speed.

I'm on vacation, but PM me if you're interested and I'll dredge up more details.

Salud,

Jeff

1974 MGB CB Tourer, 18V+.040, County NS head, OD, HIF4's, Advance 25D w/points, TR7 5-speed disc/AP plate/roller TO, 185/70 Altimax RT-43's.

Some days I wish I could go back in life. Not to change anything, just to feel a few things twice.

Attachments:
IMG_20160713_141751.jpg    62.9 KB
IMG_20160713_141751.jpg

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
A top with a zip-out rear window with the side windows rolled down isn't so very different from either of these bimini tops. The rear quarter windows on convertible tops are the main difference. Not everyone likes a lot of air flow on the highway, though. I've given up driving with my top down on freeways. Too much wind and sun and skin cancer for me. I like these, though, especially the look of Jeff's.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

arkyrover Avatar
arkyrover Clay L
Conway, AR, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Ed Kirkland in Florida makes the bimini top in the very first post. I purchased an identical one from him 2 months ago. Awesome.

78mgb White Wonder 78mgb
apple valley, Minnesota, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
In reply to # 3609954 by DrewM A top with a zip-out rear window with the side windows rolled down isn't so very different from either of these bimini tops. The rear quarter windows on convertible tops are the main difference. Not everyone likes a lot of air flow on the highway, though. I've given up driving with my top down on freeways. Too much wind and sun and skin cancer for me. I like these, though, especially the look of Jeff's.

I have a top with a zip down window and just leave the window down all of the time (no driving in the rain for me). It works nicely to shade me. With the window zipped down, it is cooler on sunny days.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster