AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sun visors?
  This topic is about my 1979 MG MGB
lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
Ridge, New York, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
So my car does not have sun visors. At 6'2" the seats are perfectly broken in so my field of view is within the windscreen. I am wondering if the sun visor has any effect (don't drive with top up) or if it would block any of the field of vision. Currently I just throw on sunglasses when needed.

On another note I would like to change seat covers but as the drivers seat is perfectly situated for me I am thinking about keeping the bottom foams and webbing for a recover while replacing the seatback foam. Has anybody been successful with such a proposal?

"He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got "Bound for Glory" in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy the Saint".."And I said, "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil, that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm, or was he just lost in the flood?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, nj, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Ed: I am 6'3". I use my visors fully up when driving. A noticeable less turbulence in the seat. Be careful installing the screws you can strain the windshield glass which can leed to a crack. Check the length vs. depth. It's wonderful of all the legroom inside MGB's for us tall guys. Happy Trails..........

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
If the seat bottom foam is still structurally sound, I think you should be able to reuse it as I don't recall the vinyl being glued to the foam. If you have plenty of time for the project, you could disassemble to inspect the condition of the foam before deciding whether to order it.

Likewise, the seat bottom straps can be reused if they're in good shape, but, it is not uncommon for one or more of the metal hooks on the webs to have ripped through the loop on the end of the web. You can easily inspect for this just by looking under the seat for any webbing strap ends that are hanging down.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
I think you'll have to try the visors to decide. I found mine annoying, and I'm 6'2".....currently not in the car.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Just shy of 6'2" here. My visors were removed in 1988 due to obstructing my vision. A ball cap works much better. thumbs up.

I also ditched the stock mirror & put an early mirror down low on the dash.

qwerty Avatar
qwerty Bernie D
Burlington, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
I'm 6'1" and, like Bob, I keep the visors up. But for me the visors, like the luggage rack, serve a cosmetic effect. The car looks better with them.

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
Ed.

If you can see through the windscreen ok, then the visors would not be a problem. With the top down, folding them upwards does cut down a bit on wind buffeting and I've been on a number of long, freeway drives into the sun where they were very helpful.
If you have a significant other, you might check with them too as my wife gets all squinty at me about my '65 not having visors.

Tech note. The 1970-76 visors used the same pivot mounts and visor arm as the Midget, which has a flatter windshield assembly. In 1977 both the pivots and the visor arms were changed to give more clearance to the top catches.

Kelvin.

lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
1979 MG MGB
Thanks for all the input. I think for now I will forego the visors as wind buffering does not bother me (never really drive that fast) and I can see them being an annoyance.

Will do the seats over the winter so I will dis-assemble and inspect.

"He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got "Bound for Glory" in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy the Saint".."And I said, "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil, that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm, or was he just lost in the flood?"

Jwpotts Avatar
Jwpotts James Potts
Lexington, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
Replaced my seat covers last winter. Tried to save the foam with new strapping underneath and replace only the vinyl covers. Put it all back together, even bolted onto the floor. Decided to take all apart again and replace the foam. Doing it the second time in about 1/3 of time. Painted the frame before reassembly. Suggest watching several U-tube videos to see how its all done. Highly recommend using the plastic bag over the foam to make it easier to slide the vinyl cover over the foam. Happy now. Still sits low to floor and real pain getting into or out of these cars. I have gotten used to big SUV's where you just slide out of them and your standing up.

Personally I do not like the sun visors on a convertible. Its hard enough to see below or above the top bar anyway.
Jim

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
I got tired of the damn things flopping down--virtually blinding me--at the wrong time and I ripped the driver's one off and threw it into a field years ago. Later I broke off and tossed the passenger one as well.

For me, at 6'2", they were useless anyway. Folded down they blocked enough of the windscreen that I was unable to see to drive.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

mgmark Avatar
mgmark Mark Ratcliff
Bergen, Hordaland, Norway   NOR
I'm 6'2" (189cm). I took the sun visors out of my 1979 mgb roadster, they were in the way. I left them in and use them in the GT, taller windscreen.

Marc2 Avatar
Marc2 Gold Member Mark Hoefle
Richardson, TX, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Green Machine"
Mine were always in the way, blocking stop lights - swapped them out for smoked plexi ones, which work great. Got them from a member here, PinkyPonk, who was selling them in the Vendors Market. Unfortunately, seem his source for the Plexiglas went out of business, and so he may no longer be making them..

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2949879

Simon Avatar
Simon Simon Clowes
Toledo, Washington, USA   USA
Here in the Pacific Northwest, there major use is as rain deflectors, but even at 5ft6 I found them annoyingly in my way.

1979 Roadster (Big Red) daily driver.
unknown GT somewhere in the future.
09 Accent

Don't got to bed made - stay up all night plotting revenge

lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
1979 MG MGB
My biggest fear with new foam and webbing is that I will sit to high. I have seen that the new foam can be cut about 1.5" but the current seat is just about perfect with the exception of a small tear and the color which I hate.

In reply to # 3608814 by Jwpotts Replaced my seat covers last winter. Tried to save the foam with new strapping underneath and replace only the vinyl covers. Put it all back together, even bolted onto the floor. Decided to take all apart again and replace the foam. Doing it the second time in about 1/3 of time. Painted the frame before reassembly. Suggest watching several U-tube videos to see how its all done. Highly recommend using the plastic bag over the foam to make it easier to slide the vinyl cover over the foam. Happy now. Still sits low to floor and real pain getting into or out of these cars. I have gotten used to big SUV's where you just slide out of them and your standing up.

Personally I do not like the sun visors on a convertible. Its hard enough to see below or above the top bar anyway.
Jim

ReggieB Avatar
ReggieB Gold Member Reg Beckett
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB "GGB"
In reply to # 3608836 by Marc2 Mine were always in the way, blocking stop lights - swapped them out for smoked plexi ones, which work great. Got them from a member here, PinkyPonk, who was selling them in the Vendors Market. Unfortunately, seem his source for the Plexiglas went out of business, and so he may no longer be making them..

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2949879

I to bought the plexi-glass units from Pinky Ponk. They are the greatest solution to wind blocking and being able to see lights at intersections. Hope he has found another supplier. Money well spent.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster