This topic is about my 1969 MG MGB
Dburdick Avatar
Dburdick Silver Member Douglas Burdick
Winnsboro, SOUTH CAROLINA, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA "Mary"
1969 MG MGB "Doubtfire"
1969 MG MGB "Mrs Doubtfire"
1978 MG MGB    & more
So I'm trying to install the rebound straps and rear shocks. I have the axle sitting on jack stands. the rebound strap Moss sold me, 267-565, for a 69 mgb, wont quite reach. also, do i tighten the link bolts to the freshly rebuilt rear shock, or leave them loose and tighten them after the wheels are on with the car on the ground?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Have you recently replaced the springs also? New springs often need extra weight, in the trunk, to fasten the straps. You can tighten the shock bolts now, however. RAY

Defender405 Avatar
Defender405 Silver Member Chris B.
Des Moines, Iowa, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
Also depends on how you have it jacked up. If you have the suspension hanging with jack stands under the body then no straps will be long enough, put a jack under the diff and load the suspension some and the straps should fit. With the Moss straps you cannot hang the suspension from them though, they won't take the weight and will snap.

Chris AKA "Defender405"
1975 MGB
1979 Porsche 924
1999 Porsche 996
1987 Nissan 300ZX

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dburdick Avatar
1957 MG MGA "Mary"
1969 MG MGB "Doubtfire"
1978 MG MGB    & more
In reply to # 3608419 by RAY 67 TOURER Have you recently replaced the springs also? New springs often need extra weight, in the trunk, to fasten the straps. You can tighten the shock bolts now, however. RAY

Nope. all the springs are original. for now.

Dburdick Avatar
1957 MG MGA "Mary"
1969 MG MGB "Doubtfire"
1978 MG MGB    & more
In reply to # 3608492 by Defender405 Also depends on how you have it jacked up. If you have the suspension hanging with jack stands under the body then no straps will be long enough, put a jack under the diff and load the suspension some and the straps should fit. With the Moss straps you cannot hang the suspension from them though, they won't take the weight and will snap.

no, the rear axle is sitting on the jack stands. the weight of the body isn't enough, especially with the shocks hooked up. Guess I'll unhook the shocks, put weight in the body,then hopefully attach the straps, followed by the shocks.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
" the rebound strap Moss sold me, 267-565, for a 69 mgb, wont quite reach. "

Too late now but should you break them next time get Strapping Lads' - I thought everyone (other than those being an absolute purist) got those rather than the rubber rubbish.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
There is no need to disconnect the shocks because they are just dampers and do not "push" the axle downward. I'd suggest you either throw some weight into the truck (sand bags, tool boxes, or whatever) and/or jack up one side of the axle to get more weight on that side (and, of course raise the jack stand on that side for safety).

I did see a post within the last week where the author said the straps they got from Moss were shorter than some others that they subsequently purchased elsewhere (try a search). As I recall, the poster said that with the axle hanging by the shocks, the distance between the centers of the strap mounting points was 10.5", his Moss straps were 8.0" and were expected to stretch 0.5" under the weight of the axle. So, by his reconing, their was 2" of unuseable shock travel. So he got some 9" straps to reduce this to only 1" of unused travel (you do need some in order for the straps to protect the shocks from bottoming out).

Dburdick Avatar
1957 MG MGA "Mary"
1969 MG MGB "Doubtfire"
1978 MG MGB    & more
In reply to # 3608748 by course2kid There is no need to disconnect the shocks because they are just dampers and do not "push" the axle downward. I'd suggest you either throw some weight into the truck (sand bags, tool boxes, or whatever) and/or jack up one side of the axle to get more weight on that side (and, of course raise the jack stand on that side for safety).

I did see a post within the last week where the author said the straps they got from Moss were shorter than some others that they subsequently purchased elsewhere (try a search). As I recall, the poster said that with the axle hanging by the shocks, the distance between the centers of the strap mounting points was 10.5", his Moss straps were 8.0" and were expected to stretch 0.5" under the weight of the axle. So, by his reconing, their was 2" of unuseable shock travel. So he got some 9" straps to reduce this to only 1" of unused travel (you do need some in order for the straps to protect the shocks from bottoming out).

Well, I managed to get them installed by doing as suggested and using weight to bring them to their mounting point, but they feel a bit taunt. I thought there should be more play?

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Seems to me that having the rebound straps in tension when the car is sitting on the ground is just wrong. If nothing else, the life of the straps will be diminished.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Tell destroy themselves in short order anyway.sad smiley
Order some from the Lad thumbs up

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster