AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Hi,

I have used blue crimp connectors to mate with our bullets, quite successfully. However, the last batch of blue crimps I bought don't match. They are the same size as the lighter red ones.

I don't know if this is just different manufacturers or a change in specs.

I'm not trying to start a war about crimp vs solder, just a heads up about the difference in blue connectors.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Blue connectors.jpg    24.8 KB
Blue connectors.jpg

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Herb, duly noted. RAY

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
Why not get the real things - they are available at: http://www.britishwiring.com/
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
I don't think you're ever supposed to use those connectors. There are bullet connectors made to fit British wiring harnesses. Those are not. These are:
http://www.triple-c.com/Products/LUCAS_STYLE_BULLET_CONNECTORS_(10)/LUCAS01

You will need the appropriate crimper.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Herb, those bullets are produced in two different sizes, .180" and .156". You got the smaller size somehow.

As the others above, I don't use them on my cars, only the Lucas bullets. They are a better connection. They are used in the commercial side of the business.

Gokart Avatar
Gokart Rob Illingworth
Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
Generally those connectors are colour coded for size of wire.

Red being the smallest, then blue and up to yellow.

The connection fitting should not be too different other than between manufacturers and production line variances.

Here is an explanation for the colours;

All terminals will be sold with a defined wire size range- this should be listed on the packet, but if not and you are using pre-insulated parts you can tell by the colour of the sleeve. The generally adopted standard is:

Red Insulation 0.5-1.5mm2 / 22-16 AWG

Blue Insulation 1.5-2.5mm2 / 16-14 AWG

Yellow Insulation 4.0-6.0mm2 / 12-10 AWG

From http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-A-Quality-Crimped-Joint/

Cheers Rob

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
Herb...the below is correct ...though our sizing over here is different ( metric )...one of my flat packs has both sizes in it ...3mm and 4mm...I have been caught out myself in the past by not reading the guide on the lid ....lolol so I am guessing you bought an individual pack ?....and yes , the common belief is that blue represents neutral and red for active but as said previously , the colour coding is for wire size....

I have no issues using them in the existing connectors for they still make an appropriate connection ( with a professional crimper and shrink wrap )..and see no reason to send overseas for originals ....but that is just me .
Thanks for the heads up for those who would be un-initiated

In reply to # 3608728 by Wray Herb, those bullets are produced in two different sizes, .180" and .156". You got the smaller size somehow.

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
I believe Wray is correct - there are two sizes of American bullet connectors. One is close to the size of the British bullets, the other is not. The colour does refer to the size of the wire that can be used, not the size of the bullet.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster