Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dpcardoza David Cardoza
Acushnet, MA, USA   USA
Just got back from a 2 week tour of Scotland and London, but I'm sad to report
that in all my travels I only noticed 3 MG's... 2 of them new (see attached photos.
(the third was a nicely restored white MGA entering the roundabout at near-full speed
ahead of our bus.

I guess these cars are definitely getting more rare everywhere, not just the States!

Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3731.JPG    58.3 KB
IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG    47.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CederholmC Avatar
CederholmC Gold Member Carl E. Cederholm
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air "The Sled"
1969 MG MGB GT "Supercharged"
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
I saw a nice red MGB GT on the streets of Glasgow a few months ago.

~ Carl

1972 MGB roadster - 30 over, fast road cam, full peco exhaust, Jeff S. rebuilt 45D Eurospec, Jimmy H. rebuilt HIF4s prestige interior, hood and tonneau cover, Dayton 72 spoke chrome wires, custom center console

1969 MGB GT - Eaton M-45 supercharger, TT stainless exhaust, Jeff S re-curved 25D

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Might as well be a Lada with an MG emblem on the front... Those things are just NOT MGs!

Marketing ploys.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PeoriaMac Avatar
PeoriaMac Gold Member Tom McIntyre
Washington, Illinois, USA   USA
Well, a lot of the MGB's and MGA's went to the U.S. to help with the British balance of payments post-war. I've got the exact figures around somewhere in a reference book....but it seemed like 4/5ths of the MGB's went the North America or to Europe and Japan. Australia got some CKD (completely knocked down) cars for reassembly there. So, maybe it's not so odd you didn't see an MG. OTOH, there is a thriving MG Owners club in the UK...
Peoria Mac

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Tom,

I was lucky enough to spend almost five years in Suffolk, England. That is where I purchased my MG back in 1982... I know things must change, but honestly, none of these modern vehicles will ever substitute for the real thing made at Abingdon back in the day. Kind of like the modern "Corvette". I would much rather have a 65!! Someone was talking the other day about what cars manufactured now might be resurrected or restored 30 years from now. Hmmmm I think music has evolved in the much same way... What "computer enhanced modern musical legend" could ever replace those who actually used their own physical/mental talents during the same period of time???

The nostalgia is just not there in my humble but unashamed opinion!

Just some food for thought...

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
pelham, shelby county, USA   USA
Tom,
Even though most of them came to the US, I can't tell you the last time I saw an MGB going down the road that wasn't involved with a show.

In reply to # 3608435 by PeoriaMac Well, a lot of the MGB's and MGA's went to the U.S. to help with the British balance of payments post-war. I've got the exact figures around somewhere in a reference book....but it seemed like 4/5ths of the MGB's went the North America or to Europe and Japan. Australia got some CKD (completely knocked down) cars for reassembly there. So, maybe it's not so odd you didn't see an MG. OTOH, there is a thriving MG Owners club in the UK...
Peoria Mac

Deo Volente

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
Quote: 2 of them new (see attached photos...
Made in China - The Chinese call it the "Modern Gentleman"
Yuck,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
EAST GRINSTEAD, West Sussex, UK   GBR
There are more MG’s in the countryside than the city’s although you’re right in that seem to be getting rare everywhere.

Mick from Scotland Avatar
East Lothian, Scotland, UK   GBR
I'm still flying the flag...well, for another month or so until the salt hits the roads, then its oilyspannercursinghammer time! But you are correct - a decade or so ago, I would pass another classic on my daily drive almost every day, but now, maybe once a month. Seems that mostly they are weekend cars for warm days - we have the same number of weekends as everyone else, if not the warm days.

For anyone in the central Scotland area, I recommend a very unique and rather quirky visit - Myreton motor museum. And if you find it, let me know as you are in my vicinity, and will be rewarded with a pint if I am around................

dpcardoza David Cardoza
Acushnet, MA, USA   USA
Thanks Mick,

Wish I'd known about you (and the Museum) before I took the trip... next time.
The white MGA I saw was indeed in the Scottish countryside, and those roads
and views were stunning... I will certainly be back.

As for the increasing rarity of the LBC's (happening everywhere it seems), let's
be sure to enjoy our rides just that much more. Mine's a daily driver, because
I've come to the conclusion that these cars are to be enjoyed, not saved for later.
Life is short.

Here's my current, bought from Chris Longo's MGBClassics.com in Verona, PA,
(just outside of Pittsburgh) and driven back home all the way to Cape Cod, Mass,

Dave

Attachments:
front, top down.jpg    41.6 KB
front, top down.jpg

engine bay 1.jpg    66.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
KPK Avatar
KPK Silver Member Kevin K
Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Emma"
This was my first summer with my 77 B and I went to a lot of car shows. While there were plenty of classic cars, both foreign and domestic, the average age of the owners was in the retirement range. Eventually, these cars are going into barns and garages.

It's not surprising that young people 18-24 are not buying as many new cars as they did before and that young people are not getting into the classic car world.

That's why I enjoy going to shows like the one at Faneuil Hall in August. I had a blast. It was so great to let the kids sit in the car and experience what it was like. Both girls and boys clamored into the car. I went to the Ronald McDonald House Fundraiser in Providence as well and the kids were in the car again.

Instead of sitting around debating the merits of a Weber or SU carb, which I know nothing about, I would rather let the next generation in and see their first vinyl seats, roll down windows, side windows and ashtrays.

These MGs are affordable, simple, and fun. I really enjoy educating people about them. In the high school where I teach I bring in all of my classic car magazines for the kids to look at. We need to show these things off.

That's the only way these cars will stay on the road.

boggsy64 Avatar
boggsy64 Ken Boggs
Brooksville, Kentucky, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Dad's Hand Me Down"
David,
I am redoing my 77 and hope it will look like yours except I will have rosta's. I have the paint done and I cant wait. I will show your car pic to my wife as "proof of concept"!

JVL Avatar
JVL Jim Lecesse
Raynham, Massachusetts, USA   USA
1969 Hillman Imp "Amy H"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rose"
1970 MG Midget "Jen's MG"
1980 Caterham Seven Seven
In reply to # 3608554 by Mick from Scotland I'm still flying the flag...well, for another month or so until the salt hits the roads, then its oilyspannercursinghammer time! But you are correct - a decade or so ago, I would pass another classic on my daily drive almost every day, but now, maybe once a month. Seems that mostly they are weekend cars for warm days - we have the same number of weekends as everyone else, if not the warm days.

For anyone in the central Scotland area, I recommend a very unique and rather quirky visit - Myreton motor museum. And if you find it, let me know as you are in my vicinity, and will be rewarded with a pint if I am around................

I have a pretty Impfamous Scottish car in my fleet!

Attachments:
20106323_10213514606680118_8355548761642921959_n.jpg    68.3 KB
20106323_10213514606680118_8355548761642921959_n.jpg

EAST GRINSTEAD, West Sussex, UK   GBR
Shiny car. Very nice!

Mick from Scotland Avatar
East Lothian, Scotland, UK   GBR
Linwood's finest!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster