AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Notice, not a sales pitch, but more along the lines of big change for my shop. Bottom line I sold my shop near the city, as property values have risen greatly in a short period of time. You gotta love the movers and shaker of the word providing new opportunities for small guys like me, and so here I am. For anyone that wants to know more http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?41,3604878 you can check this thread out. Part of the talk is about building my new shop in the linked thread, so I welcome folks who have traveled this path before and have advice on building a new shop building.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 05:55 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
I've built a new shop, it was a pita but rewarding. It's nice to lay it out like you want but it's also easy to let the cost get away from you if your wish list is too long.

In reply to # 3607919 by Speedracer Notice, not a sales pitch, but more along the lines of big change for my shop. Bottom line I sold my shop near the city, as property values have risen greatly in a short period of time. You gotta love the movers and shaker of the word providing new opportunities for small guys like me, and so here I am. For anyone that wants to know morhttp://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?41,3604878e you can check this thread out. Part of the talk is about building my new shop in the linked thread, so I welcome folks who have traveled this path before and have advice on building a new shop building.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
termglr Avatar
termglr Terry Allen
Lexington, Georgia, USA   USA
1949 MG TC "Devlin"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Alison"
1967 MG MGB GT "Bridgget"
1968 Land Rover Series IIA "Monty"    & more
Hi Hap,

If you are looking for a builder I used National Barn Builders. They built my home shop a 30 by 60 14 ft high with a 15 by 60 shed roof on one side for under 25 thou. And in about three days. They can build anything you need. Check out their web site. Note i am not associated in any way with the company except a very satisfied customer.

Terry

CederholmC Avatar
CederholmC Gold Member Carl E. Cederholm
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air "The Sled"
1969 MG MGB GT "Supercharged"
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
Cool! I have to go read that thread.

~ Carl

1972 MGB roadster - 30 over, fast road cam, full peco exhaust, Jeff S. rebuilt 45D Eurospec, Jimmy H. rebuilt HIF4s prestige interior, hood and tonneau cover, Dayton 72 spoke chrome wires, custom center console

1969 MGB GT - Eaton M-45 supercharger, TT stainless exhaust, Jeff S re-curved 25D

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, Colorado, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
I don't have anything specific Hap. Only you know what you need to make things work for you. Whether it's 3 phase power or a shower and toilet. The only suggestion I would have is to give some thought about down the road when the time comes that you no longer will be in the business. There will come a day when the property changes hands, whether to a new owner or one of the kids. Having a building built specifically as a machine shop is unlikely to be of value to a potential next owner. If on the other hand it could easily be converted garage space.... as in having garage doors already in place and large enough floor space to park that long bed p/u or the class a motor home, then you have something a lot more buyers will flock to. Even if you have zero need for it yourself it could prove to be a good value in the future with not much additional cost at build time. Just my two cents.

Best of luck!

MG Cruiser Avatar
MG Cruiser Gold Member Keith Delta4
Rockingham, WA, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB "Moneypit"
Good luck with the change and the new project! Keith

tomkatb Avatar
tomkatb Larry Baygents
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
From being connected to the building community for, forever. Get help.

Assuming you are building, being a general contractor is a painful and often expensive proposition.

Pre engineered buildings are fairly easy. Very flexible and can be made pretty.

L.W.(Larry)Baygents
63B
77 Spit

lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
Ridge, New York, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
As a builder for over 35 years my one piece of advise is to add an" unexpected" column to your budget and don't use it on wants use it for unexpected needs. (Big difference) I would suggest at least 10% of total budget.

"He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got "Bound for Glory" in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy the Saint".."And I said, "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil, that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm, or was he just lost in the flood?"

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Well, when I was contractor for my wife's carriage house seven years ago, it ended up costing about twice what the framer who helped me frame it thought it would cost. It did cost that
amount to frame it, roof it, and install windows and the man doors! Adding in the garage door and opener, electrical, plumbing, flooring, gutters, plumbing fixtures, lights, heat, decking, stairs, sheetrock, and paint doubled it.

OTOH, now that it's done most people think it cost about twice what it did, and one person thought the cost was triple!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Sounds like a great opportunity to be even better than before!

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Sorry was in hurry, and had the link jumbled up. I have hit my first stumbling block road ride-away on the side where I wanted to put the building, long story, still do-able just a big old square building will not have to be more unique to mange the useable space. We thought about attaching it to the house but that opens up a new can of worms. Needless to say it just became a bit more difficult, but I will figure it.

As for help, I am lucky I got a good friend who was a project manager for a large construction company, he's built some large buildings, the biggest being the new Crock Center (Crock as in the McDonald's Crocks) here in Greenville. and now he got away from al that due to the stress and now has residential rental, he is helping me, and he will be my builder .

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
TG2 Avatar
TG2 Tom Franco
Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA   USA
Good Luck Hap!

As you can tell from the gist of all the posts, your budget is just the starting point.

lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
Ridge, New York, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
In reply to # 3608600 by Speedracer Sorry was in hurry, and had the link jumbled up. I have hit my first stumbling block road ride-away on the side where I wanted to put the building, long story, still do-able just a big old square building will not have to be more unique to mange the useable space. We thought about attaching it to the house but that opens up a new can of worms. Needless to say it just became a bit more difficult, but I will figure it.

As for help, I am lucky I got a good friend who was a project manager for a large construction company, he's built some large buildings, the biggest being the new Crock Center (Crock as in the McDonald's Crocks) here in Greenville. and now he got away from al that due to the stress and now has residential rental, he is helping me, and he will be my builder .

That is an excellent leg up. If he can also estimate all the better but if he is used to working with an estimator (most commercial PM's work with an estimator) then see if he can get a hold of one to help. It may not seem like money well spent at first but not only will it keep your budget on track, if you are using subs the estimator should be able to hold them to their price and verify and get the correct cost of change orders.

Good luck have fun.

"He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got "Bound for Glory" in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy the Saint".."And I said, "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil, that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm, or was he just lost in the flood?"

OldDuffer Avatar
OldDuffer Silver Member John S
Eugene, Oregon, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB "Ella B"
1979 MG MGB "Mae B *SOLD*"
No advice but best wishes for your move Hap.
Cheers!
John

I was addicted to the hokey pokey but I turned myself around.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Post lots of photos of the construction phase!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster