MY OWN OD PROBLEMS FREE WHEELING IN OD

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mster50 Silver Member Mike Sterling/A
Zanesville, Ohio, USA   USA
Thanks everyone, you guys really come to a persons rescue. From reading all the comments, it sounds like one or two times in reverse with OD and your done. I have done that. The one time I forgot it was in OD and tried reverse I tried it several times wondering why it would not move the car very well until I noticed it was in OD. Oh well.
Every gasket on the engine, trans and rear end leaks. The engine is coming out this winter to fix the leaks. I might send the unit away to be looked at. I might get a real 5spd.

Thanks again everyone.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
I might be talking out of turn, I don't think that reversing with the OD engaged will cause any major issues as the speeds you are reversing in aren't enough to build up the appropriate pressure to do any damage. I agree it's best practise not to do that, but should cause a major issue unless you get up to speed.

It also sounds like you have the opposite problem to what you are saying.

You say the RPM jump 600 or so? Wouldn't that indicate that the OD disengaging when you hit the gas, and slipping in when you let off?

mster50 Silver Member Mike Sterling/A
Zanesville, Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 3608774 by Kurt Breitsprecher I might be talking out of turn, I don't think that reversing with the OD engaged will cause any major issues as the speeds you are reversing in aren't enough to build up the appropriate pressure to do any damage. I agree it's best practise not to do that, but should cause a major issue unless you get up to speed.

It also sounds like you have the opposite problem to what you are saying.

You say the RPM jump 600 or so? Wouldn't that indicate that the OD disengaging when you hit the gas, and slipping in when you let off?

I am not going to definitively say no to anything, but I want to say no.

Here is a more precise description of what is happening. While driving along at say 70mph. That is about 4,000 rpms (just guessing don't hold me to these numbers). Click it into OD, rpms drop to about 3,200 or 3,300 or so. Continue driving knowing you are in OD and no slippage or free wheeling. Up comes a corner you need to slow down for. Let off the gas to use engine braking instead of the brakes. Instead of the rpms starting at 3,300 and dropping as the speed drops, it will instantly drop to 2,500 or 2,600 with no braking effect at all. You can rev the engine a little and let back off and it will go back to the 2,500 or 2,600 rpm. Something has to be dragging the engine up to this lower rpm, but I don't know what that would be. Finally rev it back up to the 3,300 rpm you will feel it catch something it fell out of, it feels like the OD unit not 4th gear. It is now back in 4th and OD. You do not have to use the shifter to get it to catch. Before everything warms up and starts slipping or free wheeling there is plenty of engine braking. Then as it warms you loose engine braking in 1st and 2nd first, then 3rd and then finally 4th and all gears.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster