MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Give me your Opinion-Off topic=See photos-So I bough a Reatta one owner for $3k=Not selling my MGB

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
Your opinion=Off topic=
Rare to see Reatta 2seater Black Coupe,
So I bough this 1988 Reatta Coupe- one owner, runs great, no rust, cold A/C for $3k

=Opinions?
Just another TOY & I'm Not selling my MGB!!![/[/u]b]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 03:51 PM by ski.dive.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1988 black reatta.jpg    54.1 KB
1988 black reatta.jpg

1988 blk reatta 2.jpg    26.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
I have a friend who drives one as his daily driver.

He loves it, but admits that the amount of computer control and automation in a late '80s can make it quite a baffling nightmare at times.

Still, he's going to keep driving it as long as it's realistically possible.

Admittedly it's a very interesting car, and very much ahead of its time. Most mid to high end cars made in the last few years have a big LCD in the center console that serves as the control center for pretty much all the radio and climate control functions as well as whatever other information you want. It's fascinating to me that the Reatta had that now nearly 30 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 03:55 PM by benhutcherson.

lawmann Avatar
lawmann Gold Member Shaun Johnson
Kathleen, GA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "Old Blue"
I noticed!

;-)

Shaun Johnson
1972 MGB Tourer, Second Owner

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rustbelt Silver Member Len Norris
Flushing, Michigan, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Speckled Hen"
Hi Fred, Congrats on the Reatta purchase. I just sold my 1990 Reatta and bought my 77B last week.
The Reatta was a fine car, road great and really was a joy to drive. It was the first car I bought that really didn't require anything to be fixed or repaired, which I think is why I sold it - I like to putz around fixing and changing things on my 'toy' cars. I changed out the wheels, tinted the side and back windows and put a 'lip' on the trunk lid. That's about all I could do without hurting the resale value by doing something drastic to make it mine. After awhile I got the itch and went for the B, which of course will always provide me with plenty to do. Unfortunately, I only have space/funds/permission, for one toy or I would have liked to have kept the Reatta.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions, happy to help in any way.
Have fun with the car, it looks great and for $3K you go a great deal.
Len

Attachments:
IMG_1094.JPG    36.4 KB
IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG    42.4 KB
IMG_1098.JPG    45.6 KB
redbob59 Avatar
redbob59 Bob Brownlow
Chicago, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB MkI "Bug"
1969 MG MGB GT "Traveller"
1977 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Hunter"
Hell of alot of car for the price.

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
In reply to # 3591396 by redbob59 Hell of a lot of car for the price.

Yes, the REATTA is a hidden gem & very rare car, for very little $$$!!

=Look at them on Ebay.

I heard this yesterday as I pulled into a restaurant in the Reatta=
''What kind of car is that guy driving'''..LOLsmileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 06:33 PM by ski.dive.

Fred,

All my cars are "hot rodded" to a fair degree. The roads around here scare some folks as they are twisty and oftimes on the side of a mountain where an error could be a loong way down, and i tend to drive those roads rather quickly. One day a blue-haired senior citizen in a red reatta followed me over the mountain. The few times i was able to check my mirrors (quick = busy on the pass), there she was on my tail. Never did get away from her! Always been in awe of either Reattas or little olde ladies ever since <g>.

Bill in NorCal

Home of the wayward cars...feel free to drop one off anytime.

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
My daughter refused to drive the hand me down 90 Reatta from her mother any longer as the computer screen had seizures, and when it had seizures, everything important like heat, wipers,and gauges went away. I had to agree that car could act as if it was having a major medical emergency. (That was computer screen replacement # 6).
It also had tubes in all of the tires as the aluminum wheels had become porous, all of the interior plastic trim cracked, it was almost as bad electrically as a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, and don't even ask about the rear air suspension system and its sensors.

At 300000 miles the 3800 motor was still as sweet as silk: everything else had gone the way of all loaded GM products of that vintage... nightmare.

After 7 Rivieras, 2 Reattas, 3 Roadmaster wagons, 2 Auroras and 2 STSs between 1980 and 2010, I look back on them fondly, but I don't miss the BS.

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
In reply to # 3591500 by mgbanthony

At 300,000 miles the 3800 motor was still as sweet as silk: everything else had gone the way of all loaded GM products of that vintage... nightmare.

You got 300,000 miles from that Reatta and it was still running, very few cars ever make it to 300k miles...

This one owner Reatta only has 60k miles, always garaged and everything works, a great car for $3k
and it is definitely a true conversation piece everywhere it goes.cool smiley

But, I still love my MGB

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
In reply to # 3591526 by ski.dive
In reply to # 3591500 by mgbanthony

At 300,000 miles the 3800 motor was still as sweet as silk: everything else had gone the way of all loaded GM products of that vintage... nightmare.

You got 300,000 miles from that Reatta and it was still running, very few cars ever make it to 300k miles...

This one owner Reatta only has 60k miles, always garaged and everything works, a great car for $3k
and it is definitely a true conversation piece everywhere it goes.cool smiley

But, I still love my MGB

Every 3800 I owned was the best part of the car it was in. They're a sweet motor-too bad the rest of the packages didn't have their longevity. The supercharged 3800 95-98 Rivieras were amazing.

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
Reatta is a nice niche car. Smaller engine (3.1) than other Buicks, and style is quite nice.

In the car of that era I've owned, Olds 88, the mechanical stuff keeps working while the electrical dies and the cost to replace an engine loom is astronomical. A stretch of wire that disappeared into a loom was somehow insulation-failed and was generating sensor errors all over the place. Car ran and drove well. But with the sensor errors, it couldn't pass smog. we got a 1 year exemption and gave it to a grand kid, who promptly ran out of gas because he didn't know what a gas gauge was. (yes! No Drivers ed in schools any more). A few weeks later all the gauges failed and the car was mussel even though it ran just fine.

I'd like to sentence the head GM cost accountant to random errors in his spreadsheets and calculator (if he/she uses one) and and let him sink or float on the results. Another dollar spent on improved insulation for the wiring would have kept the car usable.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

EmgesMG Avatar
EmgesMG Robert Emge
Red Bluff Ca., USA   USA
Looks like a great buy, I look at them frequently on line longingly but I've run out of room and can't part with my MG's. Good luck with it and have fun.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
Good cars, can have a few problems crop up. Local friend has one, and has a running blog of upgrades that he has done you can see here:

http://www.caroholic.com/89_reatta.htm

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
The 3800 and 3800 series II have to be among the most bullet proof engines in history-right up there with the small block Chevy. Wiki says that the block is a derivative of the Buick/Rover V8, so I guess that as MG guys we're allowed to like it smiling smiley

My parents had several 3800 equipped cars between them-a Pontiac 6000, Olds '88, Pontiac Bonneville, and two Lumina minivans. As said, the engine was still going strong when the rest of the car had serious issues(even when relatively new). The 6000 in particular was a nightmare. It was a '91, and my dad bought it in '97 with 12,000 on it from the little lady across the street. At the time, he probably put ~30,000 miles a year on a car(work travel) and it seemed like the car was in the shop every other week.

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   USA
Why didn't it last more than 4 years in production?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links