Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ex-egll Barry Winch
Nepean, ON, Canada   CAN
1977 MG MGB "The B"
As a new owner I am looking for any manuals relevant to MGB care and repair. I hear a lot about the Bentley manual, but I am not sure of it's contents / audience.

Reading some of the descriptions from vendors they give the appearance that the manual is just a reprint of the workshop manual and the owners manual under one cover. Is this correct or is there wealth of information in there over and above the owners / workshop manuals?

Barry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Hi Barry,

The Bentley manual is a reprint of the workshop manual, and is available for download here

http://www.geomatique-liege.be/MGJP/DocumentsPDF/MGB_Workshop_Manual.pdf

You will also find the wiring diagrams, in a more readable form, here

http://www.advanceautowire.com/mgb.pdf.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
At one time the old Bentley manual had different insights than the factory manual. Same with the old Haynes manuals. Reprints from the factory manuals will serve most if not all of your needs.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Barry - The Bentley manuals contain "only" what you state. Under one cover most of what you need plus the Advance Auto wiring diagrams (which happen to be more user friendly than those in Bentley). I highly recommend it even though I have others plus specialty manuals like SU carbs and MGB electrics. BTW you need the Red manual.

ex-egll Barry Winch
Nepean, ON, Canada   CAN
1977 MG MGB "The B"
Thanks for the responses, glad I asked the question. I have the workshop manual, the owners manual and the wiring diagrams already so looks like Bentleys is not needed. Time to figure out what to spend the saved money on. I think I see a pair of hood struts in my future!

Barry

mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
In reply to # 3591393 by ex-egll Thanks for the responses, glad I asked the question. I have the workshop manual, the owners manual and the wiring diagrams already so looks like Bentleys is not needed. Time to figure out what to spend the saved money on. I think I see a pair of hood struts in my future!

Barry

I can help you out there.....as well as bootlid struts.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Those download sites, for the Bentley manual and the wiring diagrams, are free.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Jim Gevay Avatar
Circle Pines, MN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
I have both the Bentley and the Haynes manuals and I prefer the Bentley because of the additional info.
Yes, the wiring diagrams at Advance Auto Wiring are easier to read than what's in any of the other manuals.

Early 1974 MGB with OD, SU HIF's, 72 spoke chrome WW's, Schlemmer distributor, DuBois fuel pump, Limey's relays, Gerry's column kit.

ex-egll Barry Winch
Nepean, ON, Canada   CAN
1977 MG MGB "The B"
Exactly!!!!!

In reply to # 3591445 by ozieagle Those download sites, for the Bentley manual and the wiring diagrams, are free.

Herb

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Maybe it simply depends on your age. While I have a laptop in the garage, I much prefer to have a hard copy manual open before me.

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TEXAS, USA   USA
As far as the wiring diagrams go, you need both the Bentley and the AAW diagrams. The AAW diagrams are not helpful for the ground circuits.....which are often were the fault lies. That stuff, along with some advice from the guys here will be all you need.

" Rules are for the obedience of fools and interpretations of smart men."
Colin Chapman

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

RestorerMG Avatar
RestorerMG Silver Member Bill Schultz
SOUTH HADLEY, MA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB
I just purchased the Bentley, up to "74 edition. I did so because of the frequent references folk on this site mention. Actually, I was a little disapointed with the lack of info within it. Always good to have as much reference material as possible but IMHO, this site had more detaied info than any of the manuals. I can find almost ever answer to the questions I have on my partial rebuild of car and engine,
So many with GREAT reference photos. I was thinking a very detailed photo essay and step by step guide on each and every part replacement, etc...whould be invaluable! maybe when I retire, I'll buy a basket case (another one) and start one. The Bently does have much technical info, which is way over my head but on many simple projects (relativity) it is lacking...
(of course the engine I am replacing in my '74 is a '75, so I will eventually get the next volume with the '75 info...)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster