Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

wicklowwanderer Avatar
wicklowwanderer Silver Member David Steverson
Marietta, Georgia, USA   USA
I have sent responses to 2 local craigslist ads, one for an MGB, one on a Spitfire and never got a reply from either. One ad was email only. I don't get it, why would someone bother to create a car for sale ad and not be willing to answer a question? I could sort of understand it on some cars, but you would think a British car owner would be a real person/ad not some scam.

Just felt like venting....
David

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
How long have you waited?

People are dodgy - you never know what you are gonna get...

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

danc Avatar
danc Dan Cramp
Menifee, Ca., USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
I don't call it Craigslist, I call it Flakeslist.

1971 MGB
1967 MGB GT

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Maybe already sold.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
I wheel and deal on CL quite often.

If I post an ad I'm pretty fastidious to what I've posted(same goes for Flea Bay) but I often share your frustration with others. I usually leave an email and text number so there's really no excuse for me not to answer in a reasonable amount of time. What is reasonable??? Usually the first day it's up, within an hour or two(depending on weekday/weekend) and time of day it's sent.

IF I send a question and don't get an answer or response even acknowledging it after a day(two if it's more than a couple of days old), I just assume it's gone or the seller is such a flake I probably don't trust what he's going to tell me.

Any more than 3 days under any circumstance and there's gotta be something fishy in Denmark...

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Imperial Beach, California, USA   USA
In reply to # 3591322 by danc I don't call it Craigslist, I call it Flakeslist.

I agree.

The real problem with Craigslist is that it is free.

Charge someone a minimal fee to post a listing and you will have a better chance of having a responsible person to communicate with.

Vic92 Avatar
Vic92 Silver Member Timothy Cook A
Trenton, New Jersey, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
I have dealt with craigslist on many transactions good and bad.Usually what I have found is if it to good to be true ,price usual tempting vs to lure you in.They are collecting e-mails and other info to sell.Back when I was laid off,lots of work at home on your computer adds were to collect info,e-mails and such,you would get paid so much per contact you submitted.After you send contact info lots more spam and sales E- mails will show up on phone,and outer.It's sad but there will always be user's and scammers,Just be aware when using media.

GlennMGB Avatar
GlennMGB Glenn G
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"
Quote: have sent responses to 2 local craigslist ads, one for an MGB, one on a Spitfire and never got a reply from either.

Look at it this way. Nine out of ten ads on craigslist are invalid because of many reasons: listed in error, scam, lister's computer down, garage flooded, wife in car wreck, lister is irresponsible, hung over, lost email password, forgot he placed ad, didn't know for sure if he wanted to sell, gauging the market, found out the car doesn't run after all, wife already sold it, etc., etc. Lucky for you, about one in ten ads on craigslist are legitimate and the seller is responsible and motivated to sell. So you only have to make seven more inquiries and you should get a live one.

If you think the sellers are bad, you should try listing something on craigslist. The buyers are just as bad!

But I still find craigslist very useful. Once you learn how to weed out the bad sellers/buyers, it's fairly easy to find the right ones.

tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
I bought a TR6 on CL, ad had a phone # so called the guy, easy to tell if you want to try and deal with someone using verbal conversation, not so much with text or email. I've sold some stuff on CL, always have my cell and email in the ad. Always hope people will call, but a lot of younger people prefer to text or email. If the text or email is off, i.e. grammer, spelling, or just plain rude, I just ignore them. Don't want to deal with them anyway. I do however, remove the ad once the item is no longer for sale, which apparently in my experience, many don't. Tim

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Also many listers dont realize that an email response may look like spam to their mail program and your response ends up in the trash.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
wicklowwanderer Avatar
wicklowwanderer Silver Member David Steverson
Marietta, Georgia, USA   USA
Some great responses, Glenn I like your list of 'reasons'. In the case of these 2 cars, they both keep renewing the ads every so often and they don't look like fakes, but who knows, I'll keep poking around something good will turn up.

1970RedMGB Avatar
1970RedMGB Silver Member Thomas P
Lombard, IL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB GT
1970 MG MGB
I buy and sell about 2-3 cars a year. I have learned that not every email is deserving of a response. Here are the triggers I use:

- If I provide detailed information about the car and you send me an email asking a question that is already covered - the email is getting deleted. The most common is 'How many miles'? That was in the first paragraph!
- If I get an email asking 'Is it still available?' - those go directly to the waste bin. I want to reply 'No, I sold it a month ago but wanted to see if anyone else wanted it.'
- Emails with a $ offer before someone has even seen the car get deleted too. These are usually ridiculous low-ball offers but even the ones that aren't obnoxiously low are highly suspect.

I accept the fact that I might be loosing a valid potential customer but the cost is worth it to not have to deal with the flakes,

coffeemung9920 Avatar
coffeemung9920 Gold Member James C
Inman, SC, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Miss Take"
1972 MG MGB "Bee 44"
1999 Ford F-150 Pickup 4WD
2010 Mini Cooper    & more
Never had much luck on CL, either.. Until recently. Always watch MG stuff, and one day, bing..there was a very local really nice resto for a really good price. Bought it the same day after going to look at it. Once sold a Ford diesel pickup on CL, but it was posted for at least 2 weeks. Otherwise, blah.

The problem with political jokes is that they too often get elected.

Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
When dealing with CL I have a couple of safety protocols.

1) Get a burner phone number. There are tons of free apps out there that will give you a temporary phone number. It rings and texts to your phone just the same as your actual number.

2) Have a similar burner email. I have a yahoo email that I only use when strangers ask for an email contact.

3) Only meet at their or my house if it's physically impossible to move the item (i.e. Parts car). If I meet at my house I wear a sidearm (not kidding). For public meetings or if I go to someone's home to look at an item I have a concealed carry permit (still not kidding).

4) Cash is king, checks have to clear before you get the item. PayPal lists your actual email/phone number so I only use it if I know you.

lorwood Ed S
Ridge, New York, USA   USA
To call Craigslist sketchy is an insult to all things sketchy. On the few transactions I have completed via Craigslist I always asked the other party to meet me in the parking lot of the local police station.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster