MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

1970 MGB GT interior light above tailgate area.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

prharris25 Paul Harris
Hampshire, UK   GBR
Would be grateful for any advice re the route that the power cable to the interior (tailgate) light takes.

Mine clearly has a fault in the cable as by running a temporary 12v cable from the battery to the light, it all works as intended via the door couretsy switches.

I am assuming it passes above the headlining, but I can see anything from the A post at the front and I don't want to start ripping things out if it takes another route !

Cheers,

Paul.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
In reply to # 3591215 by prharris25 Would be grateful for any advice re the route that the power cable to the interior (tailgate) light takes.

Mine clearly has a fault in the cable as by running a temporary 12v cable from the battery to the light, it all works as intended via the door couretsy switches.

I am assuming it passes above the headlining, but I can see anything from the A post at the front and I don't want to start ripping things out if it takes another route !

Cheers,

Paul.

On my 1974-1/2 GT....the wiring ran up the right hand D-post from the rear of the car.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 11:16 AM by mowog1.

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Same on my 71.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Doesn't the tailgate/package light only operate with the tailgate switch, not the door switch? Both lights on my GT are disconnected so I can't speak from current knowledge, just recollection.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pippatch Avatar
pippatch John Sugden
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGB GT
1976 MG MGB "Baby Boo"
2016 Honda Fit
Where is this 'tailgate switch'?

Mine operates from the door courtesy switches , or it can be manually switched at the fixture.

John & Marge Sugden
1976 MGB Roadster
1969 MGB GT

Markp61 Avatar
Markp61 Silver Member Mark Pasquill
MARION, MA, USA   USA
See attached from my 71. Switch on RH side of rear hatch. Wires run down the RH side C pillar.
Looking at the wiring diagrams I don't think it should operate from the doors. Just the rear hatch.

Attachments:
IMG_1661.JPG    60.7 KB
IMG_1661.JPG

prharris25 Paul Harris
Hampshire, UK   GBR
Mine is the same as John & Marje's car. Just operated from the door switches and the master switch on the light itself. NO switch on tailgate, nor has there ever been.
Nasty cheap thing but I'm determined to get it to work.
Thanks for all your replies.
Paul.

mowog1 Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
In reply to # 3591252 by pippatch Where is this 'tailgate switch'?

Upper right hand corner of the hatch opening.

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com

Attachments:
20170913_133458[1].jpg    31.5 KB
20170913_133458[1].jpg

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
You need to figure out what diagram you are working from. My 68/69 has no tailgate switch. Door switches operate map light only.

Tailgate light is on a switch incorporated in the fixture and the power runs up the right D pillar.

In at least one version of the 70 (advanced sheet 9 - 69/71) it's the same.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

prharris25 Paul Harris
Hampshire, UK   GBR
I'm starting to think they made up the wiring as they went along !

My car has the map light on the dash controlled by a pull switch but only when the sidelights are on. Nothing happens by opening doors, with or without sidelights on.

Like Dan, no tailgate switch...just operated either by door courtesy switches or the switch on the light itself. Both pretty dumb ideas as you want the wretched light to come on as soon as you open the tailgate as in later cars without having to either open car doors or fiddle around trying to find the light switch in the dark !

However, it is what it is and that's fine. I do need to find this power wire though......Dan and Rick both mention that it runs UP the D pillar so presumably this purple wire is contained in the main rear light wiring loom rather than coming across the headlining as I first imagined ?

If so, music to my ears. Can't check car till weekend, but thanks again all.

Paul,.

mowog1 Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
In reply to # 3591314 by prharris25 Dan and Rick both mention that it runs UP the D pillar so presumably this purple wire is contained in the main rear light wiring loom rather than coming across the headlining as I first imagined ?

This is correct.

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
prharris25 Paul Harris
Hampshire, UK   GBR
Great news ! Many thanks.

Paul.

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Yes - There is no separate wire running under thee hadlining.

It's in the loom that goes to the rear and the first stop is some bullets at the right rear.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
D Pillar (post)...? My GT only has three; A (windshield), B (door posts) and C (rear hatch). How did we get to D? I am curious... Someone please enlighten me!

mowog1 Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
In reply to # 3591519 by tahoe36c D Pillar (post)...? My GT only has three; A (windshield), B (door posts) and C (rear hatch). How did we get to D? I am curious... Someone please enlighten me!

Don't be an arse.

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster