AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
I get the monthly mailout from SC Parts in the UK. They do have some parts for the MGB, but mostly for higher end stuff like Jaguar. Apparently the HD8 SU carbs used on some Jags are back in production. The price? A mere 4500 pounds! Ouch.

Another interesting announcement I saw recently said that now was the time to pick up a spare bodyshell for a Jaguar XK8. If I read the announcement correctly, they were genuine factory bodies, left over from production. No idea what they might have cost, but if a set of carbs is 4500 pounds . . . .

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 05:14 PM by ingoldsb.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1970RedMGB Avatar
1970RedMGB Silver Member Thomas P
Lombard, IL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB GT
1970 MG MGB
I have both - a 1970 MGB and a 1996 XJS 4.0 convertible.

They are different beasts: the MGB feels more connected to road and is far more nimble while the Jag is far more luxurious and "relaxed". The A/C on the Jag means I have a longer driving calendar.

I have done brakes and some other smaller jobs on the Jag and didn't feel the prices were outrageous.

One thing I notice - the drop-top Jag gets more looks than the MGB. When I'm in the Jag school kids wave and you can see other driver's looking at the Jag. The MGB doesn't get near the reaction.

lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
Ridge, New York, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
I owned an 03 XK8. Great car which was basically a Ford. If you could turn a wrench it wasn't any worse than other cars cost wise. Many Ford parts could be used which saved money.

"He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got "Bound for Glory" in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy the Saint".."And I said, "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil, that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm, or was he just lost in the flood?"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
pelham, shelby county, USA   USA
Prices are different, for sure.
Back in the late 70s a customer had a cracked distributor cap on a 2 year old xjs. The part was $65. I think an MG cap was about $5 back then.
A factory wheel was something like $475 for one xjs wheel.

Deo Volente

CederholmC Avatar
CederholmC Gold Member Carl E. Cederholm
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air "The Sled"
1969 MG MGB GT "Supercharged"
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
I'd give both my MG for a old E type. ...and I'm sure I'd regret it fast. smoking smiley

~ Carl

1972 MGB roadster - 30 over, fast road cam, full peco exhaust, Jeff S. rebuilt 45D Eurospec, Jimmy H. rebuilt HIF4s prestige interior, hood and tonneau cover, Dayton 72 spoke chrome wires, custom center console

1969 MGB GT - Eaton M-45 supercharger, TT stainless exhaust, Jeff S re-curved 25D

29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
1979 MG MGB "Kermit"    & more
Having owned an XJS I can tell you prices are higher than MG parts.

But did you ever look at the 12 cylinder distributor cap next to an MGB cap? It's quite the piece of work.

And the "Jaguar" thing is real. Try to walk away without looking back............smoking smiley

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

Attachments:
jag1.jpg    61.4 KB
jag1.jpg

Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Late last year I came close to trading my 69C/GT for a mechanically sorted Jag Mk. 2 from another MGE member.

I don't know why I got cold feet but I backed out of the deal. It got in my head though. I'm still looking at Mk. 2s.

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
Before I bought my B, I was looking at an '01 XK8 Convertible locally.

I felt reasonably comfortable in the sense that it shared the basic engine(AJ-V8), albeit with slightly more displacement, as my then daily driver, a Lincoln LS.

I have to admit that the car was very nice driving, spacious, and just had the nice smooth power output that I expect from that engine.

Still, though, I'm not sorry I bought a B instead-not only was it less expensive but parts are less expensive and I can actually fix almost everything myself.

A local lot has an '06 S-type R. It's attractively priced, and of course I'm drawn to it due to it being on the same platform as my much-beloved LS. I have to admit that the thought of a 140,000 mile forced induction British car gives me nightmares, though.

arnolda Avatar
arnolda Arnold Adams
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
http://sucarb.co.uk/conversion-replacement-sets/jaguar/e-type/jaguar-v12-su-carburettor-conversion-kit.html

For a more reasonable price go directly to Burlen Fuel system (see above link).

I used Burlen when I sourced an HIF44 for my MG. I did have to wait 3 plus months for delivery as the HIF44 was on in production when I ordered it.

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
So glad I own a MGB. And a Jaguar E-Type. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

---
GEO

11400 jeff p
Rockville, maryland, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Winston"
Own both a B and an E. Llike George I enjoy both. Have had the E since 1979 and the B since 2011. Both restored and the B engine has been bored .060 over and equipped with fast street engine upgrades sourced through Hap.

You would have to pry either one out of my cold dead hands...and I drive them like I stole them.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    46.7 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    55.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
winstrol Avatar
winstrol John Elwood
Jaffrey, NH, USA   USA
1959 MG Magnette MkIII
1962 Jaguar Mark X
1963 MG 1100 "Jenna Jameson"
1972 MG MGB    & more
I have a couple of XJSs and an XJ12. They get more miles than the MGs, because they get parked outside. Been daily driving a '95 XJS convertible for months to keep the miles off the pickup truck. I owe $11k on that truck and don't want to have a zillion miles on it before it's paid off, so I drive the XJS. The XJS was only $3500... 80,000 mile ago. It's now at 182,000 miles. An XJS is a dirt cheap car. Parts really aren't bad at all, but so damn many parts! MGs have way less things to break. Last thing the XJS needed was 8 rear suspension inner fulcrum bearings, $70 a side. The rear suspension and differential etc has something like 28 bearings all together. What an MGB got back there, five? I get most Jag parts at rockauto or AutoZone. They're still "used cars" in the USA. In UK and Germany they're considered full on classic cars with prices to match.

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
I've had a number of Jags from an XK150 to an X300 XJ6. All of them were delightful cars.

They are an order of magnitude more complex than an MGB but when everything is sorted they are magnificent vehicles.

BTW, that XK8 or XK body shell is about $20k. I wonder what a factory E-type shell is worth now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 05:59 PM by Mustangsix.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
lorwood Avatar
lorwood Ed S
Ridge, New York, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
If you ever get back in the market for an XK8 you want to look at the 4.2 engine (2003 or later.) The first and second gen xk8 used plastic timing chain guides and tensioner which would fail with little notice. The 4.0 could be upgraded to the metal parts so you would want to verify that it was done . It can be a diy job.
The other major fault with that car was failure of the hydraulic fitting at the convertible top latch resulting in the infamous green shower.
In reply to # 3591291 by benhutcherson Before I bought my B, I was looking at an '01 XK8 Convertible locally.

I felt reasonably comfortable in the sense that it shared the basic engine(AJ-V8), albeit with slightly more displacement, as my then daily driver, a Lincoln LS.

I have to admit that the car was very nice driving, spacious, and just had the nice smooth power output that I expect from that engine.

Still, though, I'm not sorry I bought a B instead-not only was it less expensive but parts are less expensive and I can actually fix almost everything myself.

A local lot has an '06 S-type R. It's attractively priced, and of course I'm drawn to it due to it being on the same platform as my much-beloved LS. I have to admit that the thought of a 140,000 mile forced induction British car gives me nightmares, though.

"He rides 'er low on the hip, on the side he's got "Bound for Glory" in red, white and blue flash paint
He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy the Saint".."And I said, "Hey kid, you think that's oil? Man, that ain't oil, that's blood"
I wonder what he was thinking when he hit that storm, or was he just lost in the flood?"

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
The Jaguar E Type has been described as THE most beautiful automotive body ever manufactured... I am not biased; I agree completely! It is very hard to make a choice like this considering all the wonderful cars made over the years, but each time you think there is one better, just look at an E Type again... It is as close to perfection as humanly possible.

The MGB/GT is second... LOL

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster