AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Anyone make a clutch stop?
  This topic is about my 1970 MG MGB GT
nzimmers Avatar
nzimmers Gold Member Neal Z
Renton, WA, USA   USA
Hi all,

my clutch pedal fully engages about 1/3 of the way in - I'd like to make a clutch pedal stop at 1/2 - anyone do this before? any pictures?

thanks in advance!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
The clutch is self adjusting
Don't defeat it with a stop
Or at the very least adjust it at the pushrod.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
You should be able to adjust the clutch so it disengages lower so the floor itself will be the stop. don't put a stop you will lose your adjustment.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"Or at the very least adjust it at the pushrod."

Curious how you do that with the B's stock M/C? I understand when the pushrod is threaded and there's a nut to adjust.

I thought there was a self imposed stop provided by the pedal box itself. FWIW when we built my triple M/C pedal box we couldn't get full travel on the Wilwood threaded pushrod before hitting the pedal box frame. We achieved it by placing a spacer between the M/C and the pedal box face.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 01:34 AM by MGB567.

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
The only reason for changing the clutch self-adjusting feature is when you do NOT use a carbon TO bearing, but a roller bearing. It prevents constant engagement of the roller bearing which in some, rare? cases is damaged by this. However lots of people just let their roller bearing be engaged permanently and do not seem the worse for it. Adrian and I are in the adjustment group BTW smileys with beer

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
MG or after market transmission, clutch master, and slave? Mix and match parts with different sizes and it'll work differently. For example, I run a Datsun slave, MGB hose, and Wilwood master but they're sized to operate like original with a factory OD trans. A smaller master or a larger slave will give you more pedal travel with less clutch travel, if you go aftermarket.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
but they're sized to operate like original with a factory OD trans.

Jeff,

Can you explain how an overdrive gearbox fits into the mix?

Dick

In reply to # 3591131 by B-racer MG or after market transmission, clutch master, and slave? Mix and match parts with different sizes and it'll work differently. For example, I run a Datsun slave, MGB hose, and Wilwood master but they're sized to operate like original with a factory OD trans. A smaller master or a larger slave will give you more pedal travel with less clutch travel, if you go aftermarket.

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 01:42 PM by dickmoritz.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
I've installed just such a system on my '67 B. This allows me to set the clutch pedal wherever I like. The kit was designed by Doug Jackson at MGBMGA.com. It mounts to the transmission underneath the slave cylinder and is adjustable. RAY

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster