SU AZX 1307 or 1331

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

OldEvo Silver Member Jeff Clark
Weems, Virginia, USA   USA
I want to put a points SU fuel pump back in my 64 B. It's a November 1964 car and it appears that the pump changed sometime earlier in that model year. I see references to "up to #44438" and "from #44439". Is that a body number or something else?

The NAPA pump that was in it runs constantly and annoys me. Yes, I am easily annoyed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jjonns74 Avatar
jjonns74 Gold Member John Dailey
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Athena"
1974 MG MGB "Apollo"
Those #s refer to the VIN

My Apollo's VIN = GHN5UE346515G

Application would show ......346515

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 09:39 PM by jjonns74.

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
A 1964 and before fuel pump has male fittings sticking out from it. The 5 main pump has female fittings for banjo bolts. Which does yours have? Let me know if I can help. Thanks. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
If you don't know to what Basil's referring look at #6 and #33 below - #6 is 1331 pump

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Attachments:
fuel pump 1.jpg    30.7 KB
fuel pump 1.jpg

When I got the car the original pump was gone, replaced with a NAPA pump and regulator. Of course all the fuel lines have been hacked off so I will need to adapt anything I get. This is a late 64 model with a 5 main engine.

Are the different pump models just a matter of different hose fittings? I can probably find compression fittings at the local hardware store. Banjo bolts, not likely.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Jeff,

Local hardware fitting will not fit the BSP threads of the SU pump body.

Put a request on the BST forum for a previously loved SU pump. Then send it to Dave Dubois for a refresh.
Doing this you will be guaranteed to get a fit on the car that works without modifications, funky hoses, superfluous clamps etc.

Enjoy trouble free and quiet drives! grinning smiley

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Bruce, just found a used 1307 on eBay and ordered it. I also ordered a couple banjo bolts and hose barbs from englishparts.com. I post the results.

Jeff

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
Good on ya Jeff. smileys with beer

Install this correctly, both bracket/grommet and orientation, (bowler hat shaped chamber pointing north) loose the pressure regulator, install new correct size fuel hoses, and a filter just before the carburetors under the bonnet, and you will be good to go.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
BH_bracket-SU.JPG    16.7 KB
BH_bracket-SU.JPG

BH_SU orientation - 2.jpg    47.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Jeff,

FWIW worth I rescued my SU pump, when the threads stripped in the body, as in the attached article.

Herb

I actually wound up doing both ports.

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 02:30 PM by ozieagle.

Attachments:
Saga 31 pump fittings.pdf    295 KB

astbury Avatar
astbury Gold Member Mark Astbury
Rye, NY, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Megan B"
Jeff - some info toward the end of the following thread about trouble I had with the new banjo bolts and the hole being too close to the bolt head. You may not have this problem, but I couldn't get them to seal. Be interested to see a photo of the bolts you receive.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2948306

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 05:00 PM by astbury.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"and a filter just before the carburetors under the bonnet"

Mmm given the Factory didn't think it necessary why do you - unless it's to do with crap in the fuel including breakdown of the fuel line (by using "rubber" ) caused by today's fuel recipes?

PS I had an inline filter but removed it as I couldn't get a decent seal with my Speedflow100 line.

Edit - bloody smileys!

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 07:03 PM by MGB567.

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3591490 by MGB567 "and a filter just before the carburetors under the bonnet"

Mmm given the Factory didn't think it necessary why do you - unless it's to do with crap in the fuel including breakdown of the fuel line (by using "rubber" ) caused by today's fuel recipes?
PS I had an inline filter but removed it as I couldn't get a decent seal with my Speedflow100 line.

Barrie
A rather odd query, and I guess to me?

The factory did install a fuel filter just before the carburetors, why do you think, "the Factory didn't think it necessary" ? confused smiley
Factory parts list call up a BMC/BL fuel filter part number.
Factory publications, workshop manual & driver handbook show this filter in place.
Many cars fitted with the predecessor to the HS type carburetor were fitted with H type carburetors that had a 'designed' filter at each float chamber inlet.

As well considering most of these cars have suspect fuel tanks and sit around more than they are driven an in line fuel filter installed just before the carburetors is common sense.

Carry on

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Herb, nice fix. I think that may be better than banjo fittings. If I can't find decent washers I may go that route.

Herb, I just received the used SU pump I bought on eBay. Sure enough, a 3/8 NPT pipe plug fits perfectly. Your solution is going to save me a lot of time and trouble.smileys with beer

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Glad to be of help.

If you wind up using two 90 deg hose tails, you will need to trim one back, so it can rotate past the other one.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster