Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
In Hartford WI there have to be a LOT or radiator shops or custom car shops that can do the job. Too bad you are not closer, I would do it for like $200.00 including the Radiator.. Just Saying ????? I am going to look it up ???

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
CRAP: Wrong search. OK, I give up on this stuff. DONE< DONE< DONE.

trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, co, USA   USA
Well that was fun. Oh and it is still holding. I do think keeping the liquid away from the jb is key.
Gary/ Harv i do belive most people will play devils advocate, but easy goes it, stop drinking it. As far as me , I don't recall ever being too harsh towards you. If I was ,oh so f36king what ,i am not in charge of your feelings, grow a pair. And just for the he'll of it, Harv if my technique works ,wouldn't it strengthen your position?

This is just an experiment, why? To play a little,
To see if it will work, to learn more, EVEN if it's trivial.

"Lighten up Francis "

72 engine, hif carbs, black od, rest of car stock

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, co, USA   USA
In reply to # 3591239 by CederholmC X3 solder! Fix it right the first time.

~ Carl

In reply to # 3591218 by pinkyponk X2 for solder it. Or contact your local MG club for a cheap used rad.

Adrian
Please be specific what kind of solder a and where would I find it
I have used solder, a few times . The solder you would use on copper pipe for plumbing , eventually blows out. It's a tough solder job because of , lack of surface area for the tube to attach to on the rad side

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 07:36 PM by trmgb.

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
I'd really rather not be posting any more personal stuff on this thread, but,
Todd:

"As far as me, I don't recall ever being too harsh towards you."

Neither do I; why even write that? You were never mentioned by me in this thread, and I don't ever recall referencing you in past.

29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
1979 MG MGB "Kermit"    & more
(yawn) Can we get back to sex, politics, and weather now?

My eyes grow dim, my chin nears my shoulder, and my head grows heavy (Carol says it's full of rocks) sleepy

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, co, USA   USA
In reply to # 3591530 by Nicecar I'd really rather not be posting any more personal stuff on this thread, but,
Todd:

"As far as me, I don't recall ever being too harsh towards you."

Neither do I; why even write that? You were never mentioned by me in this thread, and I don't ever recall referencing you in past.

I was trying to make a point.
It's the internet , it's not personal until " you" (anyone)make it that way.
Anyway Gary I would buy you a beer if our paths crossed

trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, co, USA   USA
Test 2- 20 miles all is well.
Tomorrow highway test

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
"I would buy you a beer if our paths crossed"

That might happen but hopefully not an American beer.

Oh Oh, has this been my biggest faux pas to date?

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Not for nuthin' but then don't...

You don't have to respond to every perceived sleight.

Ignoring a jibe is the easiest way to take the power away from the person doing the jibbing...

TBH no one cares what Kuz or anyone else says about you.

I'd say about 1/3 of this thread is about you and not the OPs radiator - I hope you understand why that is not a good thing. You are at least 50% to blame for that.

In reply to # 3591530 by Nicecar I'd really rather not be posting any more personal stuff on this thread, but,

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Pressure will not necessarily blow it off, we're only about 20+ psi under extreme pressure, in stock MG with stock poundage cap, we're not even talking about 10 psi. JB weld wil do things most of you never realized it might do for example, they ported the living crap out 948 heads for SCCA racing, and these guys would race off the same head for couple of decades, it was not uncommon for one these head to develop a pin hole in a port over time, now if it was in exhaust port, all bets off, but in intake ports I have seen people use JBweld to repair the pin hole and raced on the head for another decade. about 4 years ago, something came up off the track and hit my core veins in my very expensive Ron Davis radiator, causing two little pin holes. Needless to say this was gong to put me out of the race the next day, a race I was on the outside pole for no less. My helper, and good friend Fred Thomas, who now works with me full time, and has been a European auto mechanic all his life, said, "got any JBweld" which I did. From there we removed the radiator, we cleaned and prepped the area of the repair, used JBweld (the regular , not JBweld quick, which has a lower temp rating, so I never buy that stuff) we put in in and around the pin holes, and let it cure overnight. Needless to say I won that race the next day without issue and that has been over 4 year now and still is holding up fine, and this is with a Stant 21 psi cap. The only downside I see to your above repair is your hose neck I assuming cracked away the tank on the radiator, so that more than non strength leak repair I used it for, just installing , or removing the hose could cause the epoxy to crack and the repair fail, because epoxy does have that much structural strength so not the best application for this. With that said epoxy and JBweld (regular) is a good epoxy has been use for many thing you would not think, for example NASCAR cup head porter used epoxy for years to raise the intake port floor in the port runner of these heads, it worked , fine and still does, they even make expensive epoxy these days that withstand temp hot enough to use in an exhaust port. Epoxy is often used inside race carbs, and yes it will even hold up to fuel and even solvents.

So in the case of water temps, and pressure of a radiator, while this may not be a good, long term repair because of the strength needed in this area, an epoxy like JBweld (regular) will both stand of to the pressure and heat in a cooling system with no worries. So Todd if your repair fails it will be caused by installing, or removing a hose, or vibration that could cause a crack, but it will NOT fail due to pressure, or temps we see in these systems.

We have a sector of our membership here that seems to have a hard-on for not using RTVs and epoxy, probably because they, or have seen others use them properly. So while I don't claim to be the gospel, it is simply fubar to say an epoxy like JBweld (regular) cannot stand up to these mentioned pressures, or temp, because it is indeed designed for that, don't take my word for it, simply just read the instructions.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 02:27 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
jimmydee Avatar
jimmydee James Schoedel
Newport, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
1975 MG MGB
I had a crack in a radiator, used jb on it. worked fine until I shutoff the engine and the pressure went up.
Then I had a bigger crack. Replaced the radiator.

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
In reply to # 3591661 by Speedracer (the regular , not JBweld quick, which has a lower temp rating, so I never buy that stuff)

My first JB Weld experience was with JB Quik, and I was sorely disappointed. Using the regular stuff changed my opinion.

I've found that as a general rule, fast-curing epoxies are not as strong as a 24-hour curing epoxy from the same maker. I've run into that also with Loctite brand and even the generic hardware store branded stuff.

With that said, I think you alluded to this without saying it-with any epoxy surface prep is the key. I always clean the area thoroughly with acetone, or if not acetone some other compatible solvent and then let it dry before applying the epoxy.

coffeemung9920 Avatar
coffeemung9920 Gold Member James C
Inman, SC, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Miss Take"
1972 MG MGB "Bee 44"
1999 Ford F-150 Pickup 4WD
2010 Mini Cooper    & more
Fire up a torch, get a brazing rod and have at it. Might not look pretty, but won't leak, will hold rad pressure if not excessive. Broke many rads back in the day racing on dirt. Fixable ones got brazed. Never mind the others.

The problem with political jokes is that they too often get elected.

Jeff in Iowa Avatar
Jeff in Iowa Jeffrey J
Iowa City, Iowa, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
It isn't hard to solder on a patch cut from a thin brass sheet. Your fix will sort of work but it will leak.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster