Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, co, USA   USA
What do you think ?. Ugly, yes but cheap. 300+ for a new one, not in today's budget.
Filled holes first with Rtv ultra black, 24 hr cure, then in and another 24 hrs. Hopefully it will last long enough to get a new one in the budget

72 engine, hif carbs, black od, rest of car stock

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170912_172234.jpg    35.8 KB
20170912_172234.jpg

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Photo??

JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, Tennessee, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
I wonder if RTV will blow out under pressure? JB Weld might have been a better option...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
I really think once that gets hot it will melt the rtv then the pressure will blow it off. JB weld should work better. Good luck.

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
The pressure will blow it off. Drive with the radiator pressure cap loose.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
You can get a new aluminum radiator that takes 30 minutes of fitting for under $120 delivered.
Is that in the budget?
Be a sad drive when the rtv lets go under pressure

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
PERZAKLEY

trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, co, USA   USA
Yes the Rtv is underneath the jb . The jb is much larger then the hole. The jb has contact with the cleaned metal of the radiator

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
WOW: Second thought. Actually had the computer off. Turned it back on. If this is your "DAILY" Driver, fix it right so it will be dependable. If it is a weekend car, park it for now. If it blows while out on the road, a TOW home will cost 2/3 the cost of a radiator. It looks like the neck is coming loose. A good radiator shop can Rod it out, solder it up for like about 80-90 $$$$$$ Seems like there is always time to do it over, but never enough time to do it right. ???? Just Saying

trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, co, USA   USA
In reply to # 3591032 by oleanderjoe WOW: Second thought. Actually had the computer off. Turned it back on. If this is your "DAILY" Driver, fix it right so it will be dependable. If it is a weekend car, park it for now. If it blows while out on the road, a TOW home will cost 2/3 the cost of a radiator. It looks like the neck is coming loose. A good radiator shop can Rod it out, solder it up for like about 80-90 $$$$$$ Seems like there is always time to do it over, but never enough time to do it right. ???? Just Saying

A new one is the right way to fix this . Only one shop left that will braze,$$$, at least that is what I was told by other rad shops. I have a work truck, but it's my B , it gets driven 7 days a week, the truck only 5. I have been "cheating"this problem for a while but not this "technic". I did this to a hole in an oil pan years ago. Worked well, no leak, never failed. Granted, no pressure on the oil pan so this will be an interesting test for my rtvjb procedure
It passed first 12 mile test

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 12:43 AM by trmgb.

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
I Know, tough one. some of the products I fabricate have to be BRAZED< not many people still do it. Find an OLD GUY like me, No Hair, No Teeth. He can do it . Cheers

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
If it is a small hole why not just solder it. Small butane torch and metal mending solder and it will last.

Gary

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
"I need approval from the expert (x- Harv)"

Now that's gotta be THE BEST title EVER on MGE

From the previous 11 posts, I see I've taught my students well.

My JB is still holding, but I would NEVER try a home made fix on coolant under pressure (or not). Not only can it leave you stranded, the volume of coolant spewed from car, even the minute amount becomes a lethal danger to any cat that licks it. It take only a minor amount that leads to painful death; so NO approval.

Free advice though. Contact Rob and ask his $120 source. If needs be take out a bank loan or more cheaply a "line of credit". My Bank of Montreal, on a couple of occasions I borrowed over $200 (LOC) for a few days and wasn't even charged a penny of interest!

Also (for future), make a habit of putting spare change or a few dollars aside every few days for an emergency fund. You won't miss if, but it will save you the next time.

kuz1 Avatar
kuz1 Keith Kuzma
Prattville, Alabama, USA   USA
"My JB is still holding, but I would NEVER try a home made fix on coolant under pressure (or not)." what is your jb weld holding bach harv?

woodenickel Silver Member Steve Young
Fallon, Nevada, USA   USA
I tried that, It did not hold. Ended up replacing the radiator

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 MG MGB GT Special

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links