Picking up my first MGB today!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Aetticus Bradley Doern
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Oh, pic under the hood after a little pressure washing!

Ask James about the straps n string hehe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 08:20 PM by Aetticus.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170912_130147.jpg    45.2 KB
20170912_130147.jpg

OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, California, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"
Oh my! Car looks to have potential and buying one from James is a plus, but that SU carb set won't pass California's smog certification!

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

Mark NC Gold Member Mark Woolf
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3590990 by Aetticus Oh, pic under the hood after a little pressure washing!

Ask James about the straps n string hehe.

Southern engineering at its finest?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HoosierMGB Avatar
HoosierMGB Gold Member Steve Koller
South Bend, Indiana, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Congrats! Sweet ride!

Although I don't live in CA, I'm guessing the lack of factory smog equipment might be an issue in terms of getting it to pass and be plated in CA. (Also should have single ZS carb, not twin SUs?)

Anyway, I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time!

Welcome!

Steve

In reply to # 3591006 by OldBloke Oh my! Car looks to have potential and buying one from James is a plus, but that SU carb set won't pass California's smog certification!

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
Daniel H. Burnham, Architect

1976 MGB - pretty much stock but with a few sundry deviations

lbcnut Avatar
lbcnut James Woolf
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
In reply to # 3591006 by OldBloke Oh my! Car looks to have potential and buying one from James is a plus, but that SU carb set won't pass California's smog certification!

And thats why its been sitting since the North Carolina registration ran out and I officially moved out here... Luckily Brad is from Oregon...

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
Welcome Bradley

Having just spent 12 months getting a 79 spitfire ready for CA smog test, I can tell you, you have a lot of stuff you will need to change to get this registered in CA. Also, if you drive it on the road with out of state plates, you will get a letter from the DMV in about 70 days. (CA requires you register your car within 60 days if you meet their resident requirement.

Here is what CA DMV uses for residency

Am I a California Resident?

You are considered a California resident if you are present in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis for 6 months or more in a 12-month period (CVC §516) and/or California is the state where:

You are registered to vote.
You are gainfully employed. Military personnel are not considered gainfully employed in California, even if they also hold a civilian job.
Your place of business is located.
Resident tuition is paid at a public institution of higher education.
Dependents attend a primary or secondary school.
Homeowner's property tax exemption is declared.
Property is leased for use as a residence.
Residence is declared to obtain a license, privilege, or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
Your current driver license was issued.
You are determined to be a resident as evidenced by acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

(The last line is the catch all. Hard to get around)

They monitor license plates via a camera system that is installed around the state. The CHP also enter any out of state plate into their cruiser computer that they come across, so don't be surprised when you get the letter. If you ignore the letter, your car gets flagged and next time it is spotted, there is a good likelihood you will get pulled over.

You will need. Single Zenith Stromberg carb and intake manifold, Original air cleaner, Smog pump, EGR (going for $350 rebuilt).

As for brake fluid, A lot of different opinions on that topic. I run DOT 5 silicon in my 67, but it has a different braking system. I have not had any issues and it saves the paint on the shelf under the hood and also on the backing plates and rims.

There is a great MG car club in Sacramento. Good people and good events. www.svmgcc.org. I belong to this club.

'

Bruce E. Cunha

angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Eureka, California, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
Bruce,

But doesn't your GT have Wisconsin plates?

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
It does. According to the DMV, I am not a resident. Retired. Don't own a home or rent one (living in my fathers house while we take care of him). Own a house in Wisconsin, pay Wisconsin taxes, Vote in Wisconsin, Wisconsin Drivers lic. No CA. professional licenses, not a student or have kids in school.

We did get that letter on our primary car. Bought a new car and had to register it in CA. They cared less that I have a WI. drivers lic.

I also have 67 CA black plates for the MG should the DMV change its mind.

Bruce E. Cunha

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
If it's overdrive it would have a switch on the shifter knob on an Rbb.
Join your local MG clubthumbs up

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Aetticus Bradley Doern
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Luckily I dont meet any of the requirements for residency. I've been here a couple weeks, and I'm not working or voting. But I am spending money down here, and paying CA state tax, so youre welcome California.

I've gotta make the decision to move here or not. I got the MG with no intention of daily driving it, just something to put my idle hands to work, and to zip up to Portland and back. My Aunt is the last of my family, and I've grown kinda close to her. I feel like we need eachother, so crazy conspiracy cameras or not, I'm going to spend time down here.

As far as my "acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state," my presence here is temporary. Im helping my Aunt with her house, and not gaining much beyond room and board. And MG parts hehe. Sometimes people do things to help other people, without gaining from it.

Also we're getting WAY off topic. Lets got back to talking about MG's! I'm going to do some research and open a thread on the PCV system.

Cruisedon66 Avatar
Cruisedon66 Pete W
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
In this video John Twist shows what is involved in a carb / engine/emission tune. But with engine off so you can hear him.

The following is a video with engine running.
HIF carbs. Basically the same as SU's

John Twist video Rear Brakes.

Overview of SU HS Carbs (Only 4 moving parts)

SU Carbs

Centering the carb jet.

John Twist Complete Lube

barrybarnes Avatar
barrybarnes Silver Member Barry Barnes
Reno, Nevada, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "ZoooomB"
Sometimes, the DMV guys on a case-by-case and location-by-location basis, are not as strict.

My 78 had been converted to a Weber 32/36 DGAV downdraft carb and they passed it, no problem. I did take it to a British car garage beforehand to have it pre smogged. Also, it still had the catalytic converter on it at that time.

When I brought it to Nevada, I had the same good fortune. I registered it as a classic car which limited me to 2500 miles per year of driving (which I've never exceed exceeded).

After that, all I have to do is certify my odometer each year and was able to make all sorts of changes to the engine. The first things that went where the catalytic converter, air compressor, gulp valve, etc etc etc.

Then I started making heavy modifications to the engine. I don't have to get it reinspected each year and I'm fine with DMV. The car is also a lot more fun to drive.

I do know of people who have saved their smog equipment so that they can reinstall it once a year for smog - but that would be time-consuming and a lot of extra work.

Good luck and have fun!

CARS: Restored highly-modified 78 MGB, 70 MGB, three 50 Fords, and 68 Mustang; just starting a 73 MGB. COLLECTOR: Antique carpentry tools, auto & woodworking tools, automobilia, license plates, birdhouses; books; pictures (barns, cars, planes); miniature carved animals, small lamps; Indian items; 1890s-1960s cameras, 1930s-50s radios, 50’s & 60’s memorabilia, more. SCALE MODELS: Cars, pickups, trucks, buildings, airplanes, ships, trains. CRAFTSMAN: Creative fabricator, woodworking. DO-IT-YOURSELFER: Current major home remodel; doubled size of another; added rooms to several houses; built home; 4 large irrigation systems, 3 huge landscaping projects. ENERGY: Built off-grid solar & wind system for small farm; currently have on-grid photovoltaic system (100% of electrical needs); built energy-efficient pool system; installed solar pool heating system. READING: Historical fiction, mysteries. WRITING: Essays, blogs, social networking. LEARNING: Alternative energy, anthropology, archeology, autos, behavioral typology, climatology, comparative religion, economics, history, human migrations, geology, linguistics, politics, psychology, sociology, systemics, values analysis, world-view thinking. KNOWLEDGE: Respect facts, logic, thinking; research, devalue opinions. GROWTH: Value self-monitoring, setting limits, self-discipline, accountability, philosophical thinking.

Attachments:
Eng Carbs & Stax 700.JPG    66.6 KB
Eng Carbs & Stax 700.JPG

barrybarnes Avatar
barrybarnes Silver Member Barry Barnes
Reno, Nevada, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "ZoooomB"
Pictures of overdrive transmissions.

Attachments:
Back of OD-2667.JPG    63.9 KB
Back of OD-2667.JPG

LH Overdrive Unit - Black label.jpg    21.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
LH Black label - Transmission.jpg    30.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Cruisedon66 Avatar
Cruisedon66 Pete W
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
A lot of MG's came from the factory with the overdrive switch & not the overdrive transmission.

oshawaMGguy Avatar
oshawaMGguy Greg Wright
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Congrats on joining the MGB club! They are super fun to drive, and California sure has the weather for it. It sounds like you've got some solid mechanical background, between that and forums like this one you should be just fine. The folks here are super helpful.

Before I bought mine a year ago I had never so much as changed the oil on a car, but with the valuable info and help in this forum and John Twist on YouTube (University Motors) I've done more to my car than I ever thought I could do.

1974 1/2 Blaze Red MGB, member of the British Saloon Car Club of Canada (EastEnders Chapter)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster