Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bill MacTavish Avatar
Clayton, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1970 MG MGB "Monty"
I just purchased one of the Raceland windblockers. I picked it up on the way down to Watkins Glen for the Vintage weekend.

I had planned to install it there for the 5 hour drive home but the weather was a little chilly (we were camping) to be fiddling
around with it without instructions

As per this post: http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1395685,1395685#msg-1395685 in 2010, would anyone have the pictures
that were posted? The photobucket links don't seem to be working. He apparently worked out a latch to be able to fold the unit down.

Any info would be helpful, I don't look forward to installing it twice. (My luck I'd guess wrong and have to take it apart and switch sides
for the brackets.)

Thanks,
Bill.

"Remember, for every mile of road, there are two miles of ditch."

Bill MacTavish
Clayton, Ontario
'70 BRG Roadster 'Monty'

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
There's no need to make a latch in order to fold the unit down. Simply use a grinder or Dremel and cut off the little tab preventing it from going forward.

I did it in about 30 seconds and now simply fold the seats forward, flip it down, fold the seats back and drive on.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

thadman Avatar
thadman Silver Member Thad H
Spokane, Washington, USA   USA
I can't see the pictures in the link you posted either, however I have a Raceland windblocker and I have no problem raising or lowering my top without having to fold the windblocker down.

In reply to # 3590638 by Bill MacTavish

As per this post: http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1395685,1395685#msg-1395685 in 2010, would anyone have the pictures
that were posted? The photobucket links don't seem to be working. He apparently worked out a latch to be able to fold the unit down.

Any info would be helpful, I don't look forward to installing it twice. (My luck I'd guess wrong and have to take it apart and switch sides
for the brackets.)

Thanks,
Bill.

'80 MGB, de-smogged, Factory OD, Schlemmerized 25D distributor, HIF4's, Bell Stainless exhaust, VTO wheels from Hap, Bits4Brits relay kit, Classic Auto LED's

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HiPowerShooter Avatar
1973 MG MGB
Using a hard/soft top is no issue with the windblocker raised. However if you use the cockpit cover/hood then in that case it must come down.

In reply to # 3590640 by thadman I can't see the pictures in the link you posted either, however I have a Raceland windblocker and I have no problem raising or lowering my top without having to fold the windblocker down.

In reply to # 3590638 by Bill MacTavish

for the brackets.)

Thanks,
Bill.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Bill MacTavish Avatar
1970 MG MGB "Monty"
Wow, I just found this one while continuing to search. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3092484,3120407#msg-3120407j

I would have been totally wrong the way I was thinking the brackets were installed. I was figuring the arm where the screws attached
would be up, level with the top of the door/fender line. ??

So, is this the way the brackets are to be installed?

Thanks again!

Bill.

Bill MacTavish
Clayton, Ontario
'70 BRG Roadster 'Monty'

thadman Avatar
Yes, the photos posted by lewisrn (Bob L) are correct (in the link you posted in message #5). Here's a picture of my passenger side bracket showing the windblocker in the right side of the pic. Bob's pictures of the brackets are clearer because his top appears to be up when he took the picture so the bracketry for the top is not partially covering the windblocker bracket like my picture shows.

'80 MGB, de-smogged, Factory OD, Schlemmerized 25D distributor, HIF4's, Bell Stainless exhaust, VTO wheels from Hap, Bits4Brits relay kit, Classic Auto LED's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 09:53 AM by thadman.

Attachments:
IMG_0367.JPG    63 KB
IMG_0367.JPG

Bill MacTavish Avatar
1970 MG MGB "Monty"
James,

So you're saying that the windblocker folds 'forward' and would then hang down between the seats and the shelf?

Doesn't that hamper access to the shelf?

And the windblocker brackets go behind the top folding bracket as well as the bracket for the tonneau bars?
(as in, right against the side panel?)

Thanks again, It seems I'm making this supposed 30 minute installation a full day puzzle. eye rolling smiley

Bill.

Bill MacTavish
Clayton, Ontario
'70 BRG Roadster 'Monty'

HiPowerShooter Avatar
1973 MG MGB
That's how I installed mine. Don't know if it's "correct"...but it works. Yes, when it's folded forward and down access to the "shelf" is limited but since I rarely drive with it down I haven't seen it as an issue. Mine apparently sits a bit higher as well in comparison to those installed in a different manner.

lewisrn Avatar
lewisrn Gold Member Bob L
Danville, Indiana, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "The "B"
I fold my blocker backwards and lay it flat before putting up the hood/top. That way I still have access to the rear shelf.

"Bullying and prejudice in our public life sets a national tone, provides permission for cruelty and bigotry, and compromises the moral education of children." G.W.B.

It's how you react that matters. There's not a pill for maturity.

Bill MacTavish Avatar
1970 MG MGB "Monty"
I think we're talking about different types of tops here.

I have a grey, scissors type top that will absolutely not go up with the blocker installed.
I will definitely have to do the mod and remove the stop from the bracket so I can fold
it forward to be able put up the top.

I installed it with the brackets mounted closest to the panels and the mounts were about
an inch too far apart. I had to mount them on top (inner most side) of the soft top mounts
for the brackets to be the right distance apart for the blocker. (See what I mean about
doing it twice? smiling smiley ).

On the other hand, it was definitely a little less breezy on the way into work today
especially with the temp sitting around 10 degrees C.

lewisrn Avatar
lewisrn Gold Member Bob L
Danville, Indiana, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "The "B"
In reply to # 3591255 by Bill MacTavish I think we're talking about different types of tops here.

I have a grey, scissors type top that will absolutely not go up with the blocker installed.
I will definitely have to do the mod and remove the stop from the bracket so I can fold
it forward to be able put up the top.

I have the later Michelotti top, but you may have misunderstood me. I am talking about laying the blocker backwards until it lays flat on the rear deck, before you erect the top. That way you don't have to ever remove the blocker, unless you want to use a full tonneau cover.

"Bullying and prejudice in our public life sets a national tone, provides permission for cruelty and bigotry, and compromises the moral education of children." G.W.B.

It's how you react that matters. There's not a pill for maturity.

Bill MacTavish Avatar
1970 MG MGB "Monty"
Bob, I just don't see how that is possible.

The blocker mounts are lower than the pivot points of the top. If I pivot the blocker back, it
gets stopped by the folded top. i.e. will not lay flat backwards.

Unless you mean mount it when the top is folded forward, but then it would not flip back up
for the same reason. Maybe I'm missing something but the scissor type top is much more
complicated (more metal arms, levers and such) than the Michelotti type. (I believe)

Bill.

Bill MacTavish
Clayton, Ontario
'70 BRG Roadster 'Monty'

Attachments:
Top with blocker.jpg    39.3 KB
Top with blocker.jpg

HiPowerShooter Avatar
1973 MG MGB
Not possible...

The only way to fold it is forward. As you mentioned(and pictured), the fact that it's mounting boss is a few inches lower than the horizontal plane of the folded top/body makes it impossible. The ONLY way to fold it without removing anything is forward and down.

I can use either the soft or hard top without touching it and need only fold the seats forward and flip the blocker forward in order to use my tonneau.

In reply to # 3591318 by Bill MacTavish Bob, I just don't see how that is possible.

thadman Avatar
Bill, Bob & I have '80 B's while yours is a '70 B. I'm thinking the earlier tops don't work as well with the windblocker as the newer model tops (just guessing because I haven't looked closely at an earlier model top). As I said earlier, I have no problem raising or lowering my top with the windblocker in place.

In reply to # 3591318 by Bill MacTavish Bob, I just don't see how that is possible.

The blocker mounts are lower than the pivot points of the top. If I pivot the blocker back, it
gets stopped by the folded top. i.e. will not lay flat backwards.

Unless you mean mount it when the top is folded forward, but then it would not flip back up
for the same reason. Maybe I'm missing something but the scissor type top is much more
complicated (more metal arms, levers and such) than the Michelotti type. (I believe)

Bill.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster