AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

I stripped 2 rocker adjusting nuts sad smiley
  This topic is about my 1977 MG MGB
Slick-rides Avatar
Slick-rides Phil D
Lorain, OH, USA   USA
I have that bad habit of tightening things too much. Last time I adjusted the valve lash I thought I felt the threads "stretch" a little on a couple. Today, I stripped the threads in two of them. Is there anything special about these adjusting nuts? They are thinner than most nuts. I didn't have any correct spares on hand, so I put two other nuts of the same thread size on there. I like the thicker nuts(more thread engagement) I put on there today. Any reason why I shouldn't use them? I want to replace all eight with new nuts to be safe.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_6667.JPG    49.6 KB
IMG_6667.JPG

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Yes, they are thinner to reduce the weight of the rocker assembly. Easy does it on the torque. RAY

Slick-rides Avatar
Slick-rides Phil D
Lorain, OH, USA   USA
Hmm, I was thinking maybe they were thinner to just give you more room to adjust. confused smiley

Should be fine to run as is until I can get new nuts, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 06:37 PM by Slick-rides.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
This nuts should only be as tight that you can conveniently loosen them for next adjustment.

Slick-rides Avatar
Slick-rides Phil D
Lorain, OH, USA   USA
After doing some more research, I found they are called "jam nuts". By some miracle, my local Lowes has them in stock! smiling bouncing smiley

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-4-Count-5-16-in-Zinc-Plated-Standard-SAE-Jam-Nuts/3058797

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
STOP! Lowes has coarse thread and yours are fine thread. Lowe's wants $1.18 each and even Moss only charges $.39 (I sell them for $.30. BUt shipping makes a big difference. You cannot use the coarse thread ones from MOss. If you have a list of other things you need, you could make it worth the shipping. If things are stripping, I would recommend 8 new adjusters ($1 each) and 8 new jam buts ($.30 each) and for $10.40 and about $9.40 shipping) you can redo all of them. Just a thought. But do not buy the coarse thread jam nuts at Lowes! Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
I think he needs a calibrated torque wrench more than anything....

Slick-rides Avatar
Slick-rides Phil D
Lorain, OH, USA   USA
Basil, they are fine thread and it's a pack of 4 nuts. If you click on the specifications tab it'll show they are fine 24 thread. They use a generic photo for all the different sizes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 08:52 PM by Slick-rides.

Slick-rides Avatar
Slick-rides Phil D
Lorain, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 3571884 by tahoe36c I think he needs a calibrated torque wrench more than anything....

Maybe I shouldn't be using such a big breaker bar to tighten them? grinning smiley

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Phil,

Honestly? This is the reason for torque limits on hardware. It is not because a person might not tighten it enough... It is to prevent over-tightening which leads to metal fatigue (via torsion) and failure. Once you exceed the plasticity limit of a specific bolt/nut, etc., then you have fatigued and weakened the metal. Or... You just rip the threads off!!!! LOL

Paul

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
I've never heard of using a torque wrench on a valve adjusting nut.. Just pull it up " good'n tight"

Gary

Slick-rides Avatar
Slick-rides Phil D
Lorain, OH, USA   USA
What is the torque spec? I do not own an open end torque wrench though, only the socket variety.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Gary,

Yes, I agree... "Snuggage" is good! But if a person is so heavy-handed then it will prevent any damage.

Phil,

A six point socket would work just fine. You could get all of them adjusted and just "snug" and then use the torque wrench to finalize tightening.

The maintenance manual lists the "rocker bracket nuts" at 25 lb. ft. (300 lb. in.) but I am not sure that is the correct terminology for these specific nuts... I think they may be speaking of the rocker arm pedestals. 16 lb. ft. (200 lb. in.) sounds about right though, NO MORE!!!

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
16# sounds like an awful lot.

33EJB Avatar
33EJB Tim C
LS, Eastern Ontario, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGB
In reply to # 3571900 by Slick-rides What is the torque spec? I do not own an open end torque wrench though, only the socket variety.

Get a hold of one of these (see pic).

One of the best tools in my toolbox, made to last forever - mine was made in the late 1940s and still works perfectly. It makes valve adjusting a snap. No need to worry about torque specs, just turn the knob to set the lash and snug up the jam nut and you're good to go.

These tools appear on Ebay from time to time.

Attachments:
snap.jpg    24.5 KB
snap.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster