AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bran3b Avatar
bran3b Brandon Murphy
Lakewood, CO, USA   USA
Here is the story as I heard it.

In 1976 the previous owner was in England and came across an MG that he just couldn't resist. He bought the car and drove it for a while until he shipped it home to Galviston in August 1977. Once there he continued to drive it, putting on possibly only 50,000 miles, moving to Colorado during that time.

Somewhere around 1997 the car was involved in a little mishap where it rear-ended another car. The owner then decided to strip the car for a complete repaint. He got as far as removing the trim and aquiring replacement fenders and hood. Then the car sat for 20 years.

Enter me. Having sold my GT around 4 years ago and my roadster a year or so later, I decided I needed another LBC. I picked up the car today and hope to get the rings to free up in the cylinders tomorrow. I set the ambitious goal of having the car at the British Motoring Conclave on September 17th, along with dad's 1 owner '67 B. Both are works in progress and have lived very similar lives over the past 40 years.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    52.6 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    59.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image.jpeg    48.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Cool project.

stuntflyr Avatar
stuntflyr Chris McMillin
Catalina, Foothills, USA   USA
Overdrive, good original leather seats, hardtop, RHD, man what a super car! Repair as necessary, preserve all else. Nice low time car should be, and looks in the pics to be very original.
Chris...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
Great find..

Gary

Stevenp3762 Avatar
Stevenp3762 Steven Pignataro
OAKLAND PARK, FLORIDA, USA   USA
Exactly!....
In reply to # 3571847 by stuntflyr Overdrive, good original leather seats, hardtop, RHD, man what a super car! Repair as necessary, preserve all else. Nice low time car should be, and looks in the pics to be very original.
Chris...

Every saint has a past..... every sinner a future.

bran3b Avatar
bran3b Brandon Murphy
Lakewood, CO, USA   USA
Well I hit the first hurdle quick. I have been soaking the cylinders for a few days but the engine is still siezed. I was hoping to get it turning without stripping it down so that I can drive it into the show in a few weeks but I'm losing confidence. If it's still frozen on Saturday I'll start stripping it down, hoping to get away with rings, bearings and cylinder hone at that point. I really wanted to postpone a proper rebuild until winter at least but gotta adapt.

On the plus side, the more I look, the better the car looks, except for the rings.

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
Congratulations Brandon,

You have what appears to be an early "pull" handle car circa 1960's

This would be a British built car with factory leather seats and contrasting seat piping and factory overdrive and factory Smiths heater. The Hardtop is a factory top also

The power booster for the brakes may not be factory fitted, but it is period correct.

The steering wheel is off a later model and you would need to retro fit a "banjo" steering wheel.

The style of the interior door capping appears to date post 1965. Pre 1965 the door capping was more proud and not flat, although having said that the pic is not quite clear enough to accurately say.

What you actually have is a "reference" car - original in most things that other will refer to when undertaking a restoration.

As Chris says, preserve, don't restore ... as for the motor, patience will win the day. (they're only original once)

Best of Luck - GV

HoosierMGB Avatar
HoosierMGB Gold Member Steve Koller
South Bend, Indiana, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Sweet! thumbs up

Steve

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
Daniel H. Burnham, Architect

1976 MGB - pretty much stock but with a few sundry deviations

jseal Avatar
jseal Jonathan Seal
Zurich, Schweiz, Switzerland   CHE
1964 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB GT
It has some interesting period modifications - brake booster, early Kenlowe (maybe) fan, radiator overflow bottle. Not sure what some of the other items are under the hood (at the radiator bracket and near the air filters).

bran3b Avatar
bran3b Brandon Murphy
Lakewood, CO, USA   USA
To the left of the radiator is an adjustable temp switch for the fan.

The white thing behind the air filters is the washer bottle, the bracket is missing. I'm hoping to find it in the box of parts that came with the car.

I'm curious about the brake booster. I have never seen one like it. The install looks good, almost factory.

xcoastie Avatar
xcoastie Eric Meissner
Warminster, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
Nice find! Try pulling the cylinder head and really giving each piston a good soak. Use a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulls and have someone rap in each piston with a wood block and mallet. I freed up a flat head Hudson that way. Only cost a head gasket. Good luck!

Eric - xcoastie
ET2/E5 Vessel Shore Electronic Support USCG Station Great Egg 81 - 85
1974 Last of the chrome bumpers with Sabrina's
1971 Engine
4 speed synchro, non OD
"A work in progress"

jseal Avatar
jseal Jonathan Seal
Zurich, Schweiz, Switzerland   CHE
1964 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB GT
Here is a link to an 60s advertisement for a period Kenlowe fan. It looks similar to the one you have on your car. If you read the ad, apparently it saves you gas too...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KENLOWE-FANS-feat-MG-MIDGET-MARK-II-original-1966-UK-advert-cutting-/222595765931?hash=item33d3bdd6ab:g:nyoAAOSw6YtZU-DT

bran3b Avatar
bran3b Brandon Murphy
Lakewood, CO, USA   USA
Any ideas for a more aggressive solvent to free the pistons? Marvel Mystery Oil didn't get through it.

GC B Avatar
GC B Silver Member George Baxter
Devon, Torquay,, UK   GBR
1970 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB GT
1977 MG MGB GT
Hi Brandon,

Early car in good condition. Brake booster is a retrofit by a previous owner.

Gives you an opportunity to play with dynamos.

Take it easy with a breaker bar on the crank nut. I've stripped the threads on the bolt by being a bit heavy, then needed an odd size tap to clean the crank threads.

Probably best as Eric says, even maybe remove the con rod keeps and knock the piston(s) down.

The last seized engine I took on ended up with busted piston rings as I knocked the pistons out, after weeks of various penetrating fluid tricks. The previous owner had left the engine outside with the spark plugs out. Number four bore was full of water - bore corroded.

Best of luck getting the pistons free.

George

bran3b Avatar
bran3b Brandon Murphy
Lakewood, CO, USA   USA
The bores look good. I can't make out the crosshatch but other than the carbon the bores and pistons look clean.

With the idea of getting it to the conclave next month, I am considering a temporary engine just to get the car running while I clean up this one. Preservation is still my ultimate goal.

Attachments:
IMG_2594.JPG    57.8 KB
IMG_2594.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster