MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Dick The WIZARD. Problem got fixed just by his saying he'd help!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
I needed someone to diagnose a sound. I sent an e-m to Dick asking if I could call, and he graciously replied "Anytime".

But Dick is a busy guy and a generous guy doing his own stuff and helping many. Which is more? So decided to do some investigating before I called him and wasted ANY of his time.
-------
Car had been running beautifully. Only recently took advice from here: "Drive it Like you STOLE it", and it's a gas.

Last evening from a dead stop, I accelerated hard, harder than I ever have before. What I heard from engine was so troubling I turned car off at 5 way intersection red light. On green I moved it around corner & turned off again.

Knocking continued when running. I was less than a mile from home. Drove home, able to coast downhill (engine off) the last 3 blocks.

Oil pressure normal. Tiny oil stain normal after hours parked. I'm was afraid to drive it until I knew, so contacted Dick.

Here is what I found. First pic is carefully shot to show what I first saw. (or actually didn't see). Moving head around found culprit.

So now my only question: I just installed a Moss silicone gasket a few week ago (wonderful no weeping) but how to I re-attach? (Cover metal is now clean $ dry.) Last time I placed a thin bead of shown Permatex Sealant all around. Was surprised it didn't hold on cover removal. With what should I clean gasket, (Isopropyl?) and what sealant to re-apply? Prefer to use one from pic shown.

So before any of youse funny guys thinks of this and claims it, I'll say it first;
"A Nut off his Rocker"!

Also, here's Pic I sent Dick last night to give him a chuckle- never used it before 'cause it's out of focus.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 07:23 PM by Nicecar.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
What I First Saw.JPG    53.7 KB
What I First Saw.JPG

Nut off : CU copy.JPG    53.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
My gasket sealants.JPG    57.4 KB
Better with Ketchup.JPG    26.7 KB
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
So, you failed to tighten one of the nuts on a rocker adjustment screw and your question is how to reinstall the valve cover? If you previously installed the silicone gasket properly onto the valve cover, you would place the valve over the studs and tighten in place.

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
Gary, If you don't have one all ready purchase a Snap-on 1/2" 6-point box end combination end wrench for the rocker arm adjusting nuts. The 6-point wrench will fit the nuts precisely, not round off the corners, and last forever. Additionally, purchase a flat blade screwdriver that fits completely snug into the adjusting screw. The face of the adjusting nut can be flattened by hand pushing on a file. Given the circumstances I suggest inspecting the push rod involved.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
OSH16B Snap-on 6-Point.jpg    3.4 KB
OSH16B Snap-on 6-Point.jpg

Nicecar Avatar
Hey Barry:
So instead of just posting with intention of TRYING TO embarrass me now again for umpteenth time (will it ever end?), you only reflect poorly on yourself.

Why not be constructive and answer my question?

Nicecar Avatar
Oh Kenny:

See: Just want to find formula for to seal a soiled silicone gasket.
Alliteration on purpose. (But Thought of in 3-D!)

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
OK on the silicone gasket, I have never used one. But it appears that an enhanced valve adjustment technique might be in order.

In reply to # 3571797 by Nicecar Oh Kenny:

See: Just want to find formula for to seal a soiled silicone gasket.
Alliteration on purpose. (But Thought of in 3-D!)

Be safe out there.
Kenny

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Gary,

I appreciate the kind words, but all the credit is yours for being resourceful and finding the problem. Good for you... thumbs up

Can't help with the silicone gasket; I don't use 'em...

Cheers,

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

barry s Avatar
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Gary/Harv - What's your problem? You asked what you needed do to reinstall valve cover with the silicone gasket that you installed (after much discussion) shortly ago. I told you. If the gasket was properly installed onto the valve cover there is no special procedure to reinstall it onto the head. This is also true of cork gaskets, properly installed onto the valve cover, if not over-tightened nor so old that the cork no longer has any resilience As to your botched valve lash adjustment., you should be seeking help/advice.

You're welcome.

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Set the valves using a slotted screwdriver and 1/2" wrench. Tighten the adjusters "snug", Install a new valve cover gasket (dry) and torque down just past finger tight. I don't understand what the issue is...

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Nicecar Avatar
"an enhanced valve adjustment technique might be in order".
I've adjusted my valves many time without an issue.

My notes show I adjusted this 0.001 in April.
All others are tight.

A bit more diligence next time.

And I get to use my recently bought TOY (used only 2 occasions), vintage valve adj. tool!
-----------
Dick: I don't mean to put you on pedestal, but I have too much respect for the generosity of your time to all, that unless I'd just bought the beast and knew nothing, my 23 year ownership and 6 years here would make me lazy and foolish and a bit of a parasite not to do something so simple first.

So respect for your time gives you the "Assist".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 07:41 PM by Nicecar.

barry s Avatar
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Such tools often are inferior to screwdriver, wrench and feeler gauge.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Funny that Kenny should mention a Snap on six point purchased specifically for adjusting MG valves. I was just showing mine to a friend who recently became an MG owner. Also have a screwdriver that gets used almost exclusively for adjusting valves, and is close to Kenny's description, but no photo.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Attachments:
20170812_174717.jpg    16.7 KB
20170812_174717.jpg

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
Ashamed to say the same thing has happened to me...

At least you didn't have three...

BTW, the first time I set my valves I was a bit "soft" on the lock nuts for fear of stripping them or the screw. While I certainly don't put a ton of force on them, I at least now know that they need to be decently snug. I just use a standard Craftsman 1/2" combination wrench-without measuring I'd guess it's 7 or 8" long. Offhand, I'd guess I go finger tight and then about 3/8 or 1/2 of a turn past there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 08:21 PM by benhutcherson.

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Don't sweat the tools. You can do just as good a job using a crescent wrench, a cheap set of feelers and a butter knife if that's all you have so long as you know how to use them.

Seriously...this is a 2 on the difficulty scale. KISS...

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
I don't see anything critical of you Gary in the two first replies.
Grow a skin, please.
Yikeseye popping smiley
Not just on your finger

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster