Leather GT Headliner Installation
  This topic is about my 1972 MG MGB GT
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Gary had already started a thread about his headliner. I did not want to overwhelm his thread so I made this one just to show my progress.

The paint on the roof is epoxy primer which does a good job of encapsulating the metal. I did not sand it so the sheen of the paint stayed in place keeping the sealing properties and presenting a good substrate for glue adhesion.
I installed 1/4" high density, closed cell foam using DAP Weldwood high temp resistant contact cement.
Then glued the leather in place and allowed it to "settle in" for an hour.
Used a fresh razor blade to trim the leather allowing enough to tuck under the cant rails. MEASURE TWICE, Cut Once... :-)
I am smoothing out the A-Post welded joints with USC polyester finishing putty, called; Autobody Icing.
Front and side cant rails will be covered next and tucked into the gap just like the headliner....
I have already covered the C-Post panels and the hatch hinge panel.

The pictures here really do not justice for this installation. It is turning out much better than expected!

P.S. Car is upside down on a rotisserie... Gravity is my friend!! LOL

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Headliner 02.JPG    40.7 KB
Headliner 02.JPG

Headliner 03.JPG    31.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Headliner 06.JPG    26.5 KB
Headliner 08.JPG    25.2 KB
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Very nice, just not sure how you'll keep foot prints off grinning smiley

Gokart Avatar
Gokart Rob Illingworth
Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
Thanks for showing Paul.

I'd be interested to see the front and sides how they look when done as well.

How was your hinge panel, did you have to repair it at all?

Cheers Rob

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Thank you Clay!!! LOL... I hope to keep the car upright once all of this is finished although there may be some barefoot girl "dancing on the ceiling"!!! LOL

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Rob,

I have now attached the front rail covering as you can see in the pictures. Glueing it in place was easy. I used tape and some painters paper to form a bead along the installed headliner to keep glue off of it (seen in pics). I started in the center (glued about 12 inches) and worked my way outboard on one side and then the other. Going around the corner at the A-Posts was no problem since the leather has some stretch/flexibility to it.

The scary part was trimming away the excess so I could tuck it in along the seam between the headliner and rail... I finally realized I could use a smooth flat piece of metal as a base to cut with the razor blade and protect the headliner. I covered the bottom of this metal with some painters tape to be sure the metal would not leave any staining. The metal is actually an old MG door sill cover!! LOL... I used the little metal block you see in the pics as a template to follow as I cut the leather with a razor. It was not perfect of course since the metal bar is straight and the rail is curved, but it worked out fine since it is only about 5 inches long.

After the leather was cut I used the putty knife seen in the pics to tuck it in... I thought it would be difficult because it is quite a tight fit, but pushing down to compress the foam below as I worked it in did the job!

OK, break is finished, now it's back into the "hot box" garage to start the sides!

P.S. My hinge cover was in good shape. I just peeled off the old vinyl and foam and replaced it with 1/8" closed cell foam and leather...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 03:21 PM by tahoe36c.

Attachments:
Headliner 10.JPG    27.3 KB
Headliner 10.JPG

Headliner 11.JPG    31.1 KB
Headliner 12.JPG    26.1 KB
Headliner 13.JPG    32.7 KB
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
L/H cant rail finished... Enough for today. Time to burn some meat and have a few Jim Beam and Diet Cokes!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 05:14 PM by tahoe36c.

Attachments:
Headliner 14.JPG    34.4 KB
Headliner 14.JPG

Headliner 15.JPG    22 KB
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
WOW just WOW... sure makes a difference have to car upside down..
.I hope I never see mine upside down...

Gary

Gokart Avatar
Gokart Rob Illingworth
Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
Paul,

Looking real good.

I'd be interested to see a close up of where the front meets the sides at the overlap.

So the only original panels you are using are the C pillars and rear hinge cover?

Cheers Rob

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
OK... I am finished and I believe the final product is more than acceptable. I installed the rear view mirror, C-Post Panels and upper hinge cover for the full affect. You can see how the tweeters for my audio system are attached to the hinge cover so the sound is projected directly forward to the occupants.

Rob,

There are basically two choices with how to interface the front and side covers. I looked at having an overlap like the factory did it with the vinyl but then decided to back-cut the two pieces of leather and butt them up. The result is good enough for me. I continue to "massage" the two pieces to hide the seam as best I can... It is so slight most folks would not notice unless they look real close anyway.

I take that back! There is actually a third option... I could have cut one piece to go all the way around. I did not think about it until I had finished. I have another hide to do the C/GT interior one day. The plan will be to cut one piece big enough to fit everything and then trim around the headliner to leave the piece for the cant rails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 04:30 PM by tahoe36c.

Attachments:
P1000880.JPG    38.8 KB
P1000880.JPG

P1000877.JPG    34.2 KB
P1000878.JPG    36.7 KB
P1000875.JPG    14.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster