AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Paint Suggestions
  This topic is about my 1976 MG MGB
grafen22 Avatar
grafen22 Silver Member Alonzo Atkinson
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
I have a 76 B which is mechanically sound and a lot of fun to drive. But, it looks like crap and I'm unwilling to spend the time and money to strip it down for a proper paint job. Any suggestions?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Maaco

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Yep, there are still cheap quickie paint shops around. It will reduce the cost if you can do any needed disassembly/prep/reassembly yourself.

You can also look up folks here that have painted cars with Rustoleum by spraycan or paint roller.

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
If the car is rust free and you plan to do the same color I would consider the Maaco option.

If there is rust and Maaco has to start fixing stuff - they may not fix it right and then your costs are going up.

If you have light rust you could do the initial repairs with supplies from Autozone/Walmart etc. and save the Maaco labor - let them do the final prep.

If the creeping costs start to get you you sorta get backed in a corner. In a rare pinch I would consider a rattle can job.

I recently had to do some repair to my Hyundai - I got the rattle can touch up stuff and clear coat from these guys - http://www.automotivetouchup.com/indexsidebar.htm

With the hand grip nozzle they sell I bet you could do a pretty good job of it. Find a late model car for which you really like the color and then go to town...

Bottom line is none of it is gonna be as good as a full teardown.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

64MGBTourer Avatar
64MGBTourer Gold Member Ken Fritz
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Do the prep yoyrself, but an HVLP spray gun at Harbor Freight for under $100. Get decent paint from Sherwin Williams, practice on a metal garbage can, and do it yourself.

TerryG Avatar
TerryG Terry Gandy
Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Vinyl wrap

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
My paint just finished out gassing about 2 weeks ago...Used the Napa line of paint. Their mid grade "CrossFIRE" products. 3 qts did the job with enough left for a few touch ups if required in the future. Candied the 2nd clear spray. For the price it's hard to beat.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Attachments:
Side1.jpg    28 KB
Side1.jpg

Side2.jpg    25.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Side3.jpg    31.2 KB
Side4.jpg    32.8 KB
Surewood Chuck S
Wallingford, CT, USA   USA
Check out urekem-paints.com. They have some very reasonably priced single stage paint kits and keep prices low by selling direct. They seem to be a popular choice amongst the hotrodders so I think that is a testament to their quality.

wicklowwanderer Avatar
wicklowwanderer Silver Member David Steverson
Marietta, Georgia, USA   USA
If your paint is dull and looks bad, it will look even worse when shiny paint is applied over it IF you do not spend time sanding and prepping (or having it done). Small dings and such that you didn't even know existed will show when shiny paint gets applied.

So either live with it as it is or do (or have done) a proper job. Believe me it's worth it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster