AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1980 MGB Cracked Dashboard
  This topic is about my 1980 MG MGB
mickeyo Avatar
mickeyo Mickey O
gilbert, arizona, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Little Red"
About to start the process of removing the windshield/frame to install new rubber. Should be fun. While I'm at it, I need to remove and repair the cracked dashboard. Any advise on how I repair this? Thanks in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_9961.JPG    40.8 KB
IMG_9961.JPG

IMG_9960.JPG    42.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
This is a pisser of a job.

First, you can repair the crack with a putty of some sort then finagle the finish over it. This is what I did. With sunglasses on and a sunny day who can tell?

Second, you can take a big ass gulp, and decide to replace the vinyl facing (leaving the foam alone). I think, but do not know, that this stuff is available. I presume it is. From someone.

Third, you can remove the dash and strip away all the foam and rebuild it to a different look. I started to do that for my car and looked at the work involved and shook my head and put the new dash back in the shed. Anyone want a 73-style dash half ton apart?<G>

fourth, there is a place in UK that fabs fiberglass dashes for US models at about $300. I lost the url. But that's a reasonable price...and search long enough and you'll find the guy. And I'd think about going that way if I had the moxie to continue working and "improving" my car.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
I can't tell if that already has a dash cover on top of it, but I don't think it does. The usual way to repair upper dash cracks is to sand down the split, then perhaps (though it's not required) fill the crack with some material suitable for dash repair, then simply glue the dash cover on top. It will look as good as new. I've done it twice now. I'm sure there are videos on You Tube about how to do this repair and maybe some threads about it here, as well.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif.

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
1979 Triumph 1500 ~ For Sale ! ~
1986 Honda Street
A bit harder on the B, but I did a spitfire dash. Use a heat gun on low to soften the vinyl. Once I had it off the harder foam underneath, I filled the foam with latex calking compound. You can file it once it dries. I then coated it with a mix of latex calk that was watered down to a paste. Sand and then reskinned it in new vinyl.

Bruce E. Cunha

Attachments:
2015-09-25 14.09.38.jpg    36.8 KB
2015-09-25 14.09.38.jpg

2015-09-25 14.09.41.jpg    56.9 KB
2015-09-26 12.15.55.jpg    31.6 KB
2015-09-27 19.15.30.jpg    30.2 KB
Bruce Cunha Avatar
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
1986 Honda Street
The latex flexes enough to work on the foam. Recovering is a bit tricky, I spray with adhesive spray and work it around the foam.

Bruce E. Cunha

Attachments:
2015-10-21 15.47.41.jpg    32.6 KB
2015-10-21 15.47.41.jpg

Markp61 Avatar
Markp61 Silver Member Mark Pasquill
MARION, MA, USA   USA
Mickey. I had a crack repaired in my 71 dash by a company called
http://www.fibrenew.com/
They have franchises all over the US

The PO had tried to repair , but it didn't work.

The gentleman came to the house. About 3 hrs and $175. Made a nice job. And 18 months later still going strong.

The only thing he said was not to use Armor All to polish.

Attachments:
IMG_1276.JPG    33.3 KB
IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG    38.5 KB
jakdedert Avatar
jakdedert John Dedert
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
It never occurred to me that one could actually remove the vinyl layer and leave the structure behind. That changes everything in my thinking. I was going to fill to the level of the surface, and recover. This makes it much easier to refit various things like instruments that might be hindered by the extra thickness.

Bruce Cunha Avatar
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
1986 Honda Street
if the violence y is glued to the metal backing, it can be removed. Send a picture of the back and I Should be able to tell if you can take the vinyl off.

Bruce E. Cunha

lorwood Ed S
Ridge, New York, USA   USA
Once had a cracked dash ,not a MGB. Had an upholstery shop cover the top of days with some nice leather. Came out so nice I had the steering wheel and door panels done. Brought the interior to a whole new level.

jjh1118 Avatar
jjh1118 Jim Hargrave
Bogota, NJ, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "The Little Car"
Have you considered a dash cover ? I installed one from Moss on my 75 B ten years ago and it still looks great.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster