Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jimathome Avatar
jimathome Silver Member Jim Walton
Columbus, Georgia, USA   USA
I have a 1963 MGB that I did a dash restoration about 2 years ago. As part of the restoration I had the dash powder coated. This was one of the best things I have ever done to my car. The wrinkle finish looks great and is very durable. The problem is I lost the glove box latch during the restoration. I found one on ebay but I have not been able to make it work. It looks nothing like my original. I have been thinking about trying to fabricate one. If I could see one close-up this might be possible, but there are not an early MGBs anywhere around (Columbus, Georgia) where I live. If anyone has one they would sell I would be eternally grateful.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
Jim:
Send me a PM...if it is the part which attaches to the back of the lock cylinder in the glove box door I have one here I can likely part with.
Anthony

jimathome Avatar
Anthony, this is the part that attaches to the top inside of the glove box. It is held on by 2 sheet metal screws.

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Jim help Anthony out here #27 or #28?

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Attachments:
glovebox.jpg    4.4 KB
glovebox.jpg

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
Here's what I have...buffer

Attachments:
IMG_4333.JPG    17.9 KB
IMG_4333.JPG

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, Ohio, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
jimathome Avatar
Thanks for the heads-up. That is the piece that I memtioned purchasing. It is only the one piece. The person selling it told me it was all you would need. He is wrong. It is piece (#28) shown on the parts blow-up. I think it is a reproduction. The paint is holding and has some rust on it. I think in combination with piece #27 it will work.

Jim

bencii Ben Colpitts
1966 MG MGB
I believe that part on eBay is #28, and you appear to already have #27.

jimathome Avatar
The part I have is only a flat piece of steel. The part needed is the one with the rubber bumper attached to a piece of steel. At least that is my interpretation of the parts diagram. I was dissapointed when I received the part from the ebay seller. It was obvious that something else was needed. I need to be more careful when disassembling parts of my car. Getting older doesn't make it easier. I can be using a screw driver and misplace it in an instant. Drives me nuts.

Jim

MGB567 Avatar
I'm lost in what you're writing so I'll put it my way. #27 is a rubber buffer on a steel plate as shown by Anthony. #28 is the latching plate which attaches to #27 and if you look at the shape is designed to catch or snib the tang on the back of the key barrel - expanded pic below. It shouldn't be too hard to make a new unobtanium part - see pic 2. Pic 2 is the 1st image GI had of AHH6291 - if you want more he has more.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Attachments:
glovebox.jpg    7.2 KB
glovebox.jpg

glovebox1.jpg    37.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jim63 Avatar
Jim63 Gold Member Jim S
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB MkI "Iris"
Jim,
Barrie is right. You should be able to make the piece to "snip the tang". I just had to write those words Barrie, I love it. Attached are my photos that may not be much help since I was taking them in a dark garage after a few beers, but that is all I have. Good luck.

Jim

Attachments:
IMG_4821.JPG    40.3 KB
IMG_4821.JPG

bencii Ben Colpitts
1966 MG MGB
He has that part, he needs the rubber buffer. I was confused at first too. Have another beer.smileys with beer

In reply to # 3571926 by Jim63 Jim,
Barrie is right. You should be able to make the piece to "snip the tang". I just had to write those words Barrie, I love it. Attached are my photos that may not be much help since I was taking them in a dark garage after a few beers, but that is all I have. Good luck.

Jim

MGB567 Avatar
You're right Ben (I re-read #9) and I had no beers - so why Jim doesn't take up Anthony's offer IDK.

jimathome Avatar
Jim took up Anthony's offer. Maybe I need to start drinking. The buffer is the part I am getting from Anthony (private message). I do appreciate all of you guys concern. I have learned never to argue with anyone. I am too often wrong.

Thanks for the help,

KJim

MGB567 Avatar
"I have learned never to argue with anyone. I am too often wrong. "

Sounds like your glass is half empty Jim. Anyway it's good your sorted.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 MG MGA MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links