AutoShrine Sponsor

OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, California, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"
Spent most of the day scrubbing and polishing the GT before a club run tomorrow. Wanted to do a shakedown in preparation of driving it up to Portland for the All British Field Meet 9/1. Had just done a 20+ mile run to Drs app't yesterday with no issues. Arghh! The thing is dead! Starter does't even click....alternator light comes on, lights/radio, but....on the charger for overnight. Can only hope! Oh yeah, tomorrows club run? Uncovered the V6 roadster that performed like a trooper down and back to San Diegos MG 2017 in triple digit heat and freeway parking lots! Hadn't even started it since! Checked the fluids and she fired right up! I now have to decide what is going to the Portland dance!

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Jim, check the battery connections, I know you already did, and see if there is any corrosion on the starter motor solenoid connectors. Make certain that the push on male spade connector is in place on the solenoid. They can fall off at the most inopertune time. Mine did. I now keep it in place with a tie wrap. RAY

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
connector fell off the solenoid at the starter. That has usually been the culprit for me.

Or, unlikely, starter relay failure

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
Jim, Hot wire it to see if it's just the switch. if it doesn't start by bypassing the switch, it's a wire or the solenoid. I have a spare solenoid here if you need it. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

PaulP Avatar
PaulP Gold Member Paul Peterson
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Hi Jim - You're welcome to join us for dinner Saturday night. The plan is for the same place as last year. I'll send you an email with the details.

Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster