AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bummer
  This topic is about my 1963 MG MGB MkI
ringmaster2000 Silver Member Will Ring
Lake Stevens, Washington, USA   USA
So got smacked in the front in a parking lot today, that front valence panel is pretty messed up. grille, bumper, etc can be found, but not sure what to do about that lower panel???? guy in big pickup truck was insured, but the insurance company will total it, as it will be too costly to fix. so can i fix it?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
106_0246.JPG    48.7 KB
106_0246.JPG

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
The "lower panel" part is available new.

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/MGBFrt.htm

and is welded in place.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, California, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"
Not nearly totaled.!! All those pieces easy to replace hows the hood and radiator?

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

The hood still open and closes easily, so that panel is nor whacked out of shape, not nearly deep enough to get to the radiator. Too early a car for an oil cooler, but my crane X700 unit is right there and has good size dent. Still runs well, so no mechanical damage. guess i will wait for the insurance company to say what happens then start fixing it AGAIN.......

GBGary Avatar
GBGary Gold Member Gary Rand
Burbank, California, USA   USA
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
1972 MG MGB "Frankenstein"
1972 Rover 3500 "Bertie"
1974 Jensen Healey
If you have collector car insurance, i.e. Hagerty, Grundy, etc., they will not total the car and will repair it. Agreed value insurance is no fault, so they'll fix it and then go after the other insurance company. Don't ask me how I know. Good luck.

Gary

1972 MGB Roadster

Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I will send a PM with my phone number.
I am in Mountlake Terrace or South Whidbey.
My good friend Eric Berge owns Werners Crash Shop near the Seattle Center and can help out with any estimates or repairs.

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
If you have a stated value policy, go through your insurance company and let them collect from the other guy (it's called "subrogation."winking smiley If you have a stated value, your insurer won't total it :-) Best of luck. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3571184 by ringmaster2000 So got smacked in the front in a parking lot today, that front valence panel is pretty messed up. grille, bumper, etc can be found, but not sure what to do about that lower panel???? guy in big pickup truck was insured, but the insurance company will total it, as it will be too costly to fix. so can i fix it?

When you say "the insurance company" do you mean yours or his? Your course of action kind of depends on what type of insurance you have.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
1979 Triumph 1500 ~ For Sale ! ~
1986 Honda Street
Are you able to do the work yourself? Should not be a total. If they say it is, tell them if they reimburse for the parts, you will fix it. If no dumb iron damage or suspension, What I am seeing in the picture is all bolt on parts. Under $1000 from moss.

Bruce E. Cunha

Grahamhaber Avatar
Grahamhaber Graham Haber
Dingman Township. Pa., NYC,New York, USA   USA
This happened to me, not with my MG. they totaled my car aver a dent that to properly fix was $3500. My choice was $4000 they keep the car or $3500 and I keep the car. I did that and had the dent repaired for $300. No reason not to fix it unless it is a complete rust bucket.

Good luck,

Graham

mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
In reply to # 3571331 by Basil Adams If you have a stated value policy, go through your insurance company and let them collect from the other guy (it's called "subrogation."winking smiley If you have a stated value, your insurer won't total it :-) Best of luck. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Au contraire.

With a STATED value policy, there is no guarantee that the insurance company will agree with what the owner says the car is worth.

One must have an AGREED policy for that to happen.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Jim63 Avatar
Jim63 Gold Member Jim S
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB MkI "Iris"
Will,
That photo just made my car drop a few tears of oil for you.
sad smiley

MG47484 Avatar
MG47484 Mike B
Lima/Aston, PA, USA   USA
1963 Chevrolet C10 "My White Work Horse!!" ~ For Sale ! ~
1975 MG Midget MkIII "Young Marine’s Weekend Pass!"
2005 Nissan Frontier V6 4WD "The Silver Ghost"
2009 Subaru Legacy "Wife's Slave"
Talk to your insurance company - Try to get them to fight with the other side. Most will if you have 'Full Coverage' or more than just lib coverage. for they are now working or your side. Looks like it should be a fixable deal. Some Insurance companies just look at 'Blue Book' and do not understand Cars older than say 12 years. Just do not want to deal with it or them! Unless fored to do things right!
MB

Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Skip the drama and run the car up to Bradley Restoration and let Andy handle it.

Okay waiting on the insurance company to get down to brass tacks. I know they are just going to total it cause its probably only worth 3-5 K and with parts and labor to fix will be about the same. So new question, I see 1963 mgb going for 3 to about 6K for Fair to Excellent shape. Can i negotiate how much i pay to get it back after its totalled? And what kind of value should i hold out for? I know its going to be a wide spread, but really how many 1963 MGB's are still out there???

And i just named it last week "Bandit", so still a little bummer, but all things will pass and this is another of life challenges.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster