AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
Arroyo Grande, California, USA   USA
A little help please,

I know that this dates me and sounds a little goofy but between 1956 and 1959 Marion Webber, owner of MG Mitten used to sell headwear for ladies that rode around in little open sports cars and one item was called a Keppy Kap but there was a better one that was a billed straw hat that was combined with a scarf so it would not blow off. In trying to keep peace in the family does anyone know where I might find items similar to these? As usual your help is appreciated.
Ralph Bush the Old Racer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
I don't know, but how about a hat from an op shop and a length of ribbon, from a milliner's?

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
Thanks that is a possibility but I was hoping to find something like MG MItten sold in the old days.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Womens-Protective-Convertible-Beach/dp/B00CLL1X3E

Or a ladies Tilly Hat of her liking
https://www.tilley.com/us_en/women/hats/snap-up-brim.html

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Attachments:
t4mo1_orange_a_1.jpg    5 KB
t4mo1_orange_a_1.jpg

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
I remember women used to wear straw hats in the summer with some kind of scarf through the brim (not sure) to hold them on their heads. Maybe that's what you're remembering. I'd guess someone might still sell something like this, if you really must have that exact hat. I'd browse Amazon and look around a bit.

As for me, I'd buy a Tilley hat. It's got to be the best hat every made. I own five (5) Tilley hats and never leave the house without one of them due to skin cancer. Not sure why you want a specific hat, but that's your business, I guess. For me, I'd just want a really good hat that looks good.

In a car, you'll need a neck strap / safety lanyard / chin strap, or whatever you call it, so the hat doesn't blow away. There are also alligator clip lanyards with one clip attaching to the hat and the other to your shirt collar. That might hold onto the hat in the wind, too. Or you could just promise to drive really slowly. smiling smiley

Drew Maddock, So. Calif.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
And a Tilly hat with a strap is guaranteed against loss.
Don't leave home without itsmileys with beer

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
Thank you for your suggestions. I myself own a Tilly hat but I was hoping for something a little more "chic" for my bride.

josh bowman Avatar
Spring City, Tennessee, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Spit"
My wife wears a very chic hat, as a matter of fact she gets many compliments in this area about it!

Attachments:
ut ball hat.jpg    29.7 KB
ut ball hat.jpg

limey222 Avatar
limey222 Silver Member Michael Cubbon
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Just do a search in Google using the search term : https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=womens+staw+hats+with+attached+scarf&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
and you will see many options. My wife buys them all the time for our roadster.

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, Iowa, USA   USA

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
A big thank you to all of you as we now have several choices but an orange hat with a "T" on it? I guess that "T" stands for Texas right?
Regards, Ralph Bush

josh bowman Avatar
Spring City, Tennessee, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Spit"
Oh my, those are "fighten" words here in Tennessee! hot smiley
But, good luck with your purchase. I have thought about getting my wife a flat hat, they are comfortable. But I can see the attraction toward one that ties. I'm 6'2" and haven't lost one yet, but sometimes in my Spit it gets close.

In reply to # 3571663 by Old racer A big thank you to all of you as we now have several choices but an orange hat with a "T" on it? I guess that "T" stands for Texas right?
Regards, Ralph Bush

Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
Hey Josh, I was just Joshin' you if I were younger there is no way I would I would remain in California with all of these nutcases and a move I would consider seriously would to Knoxville, Franklin or Chattanooga as I am so impressed with all three places along with Dalton Georgia and if that were to happen I would be proud to wear an orange hat with a white "T" on it.
Ralph

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, Ohio, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
MG Mitten trademark is now owned by Aardvark International. They deal mostly with mirrors, lighting and covercraft car covers. This hat is similiar to what they had in their catalogs back in the day,except I think the brims were down back then.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/528200868/raffia-straw-sun-hat-with-flattering?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wide%20brim%20straw%20hat&ref=sc_gallery_2&plkey=3d5eb6f275e0d291d63be50587ceeb45856be0db:528200868

Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
Thanks Ben, now we are talking, someone who remembers back 60 years ago, I think that we have found a winner here.
Regards, Ralph Bush

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster