AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
It is all about UV exposure, so a set of tires that may be older than say 5-8 years old could still be fine if they were not exposed to UV rays. With that said you now own the car, and you can only bitch so long about PO, it your's now, make it yours, and move on. We see this in race cars, people bitching about the PO's work, sooner or later you make it your own and then only blame you smiling smiley You're a big boy Gary, this ain't your first rodeo, you know what to do.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 04:39 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
In reply to # 3571448 by Emil Wojcik
In reply to # 3571296 by mowog1
..."As is" means just that....."as is".

So you're saying that as long as I state somewhere in the car's description that it's "as is" it's OK if I mislead the buyer by miss-describing it?

Sounds like the seller's a know entity to many here and people are quick to come to his defense. Fair enough, he probably is a great guy. But that doesn't excuse him from making misleading comments about the condition of the tires even if it was an honest oversight.

The buyer should check things over before finalizing the deal but that doesn't excuse the misleading statement.

'In good shape' and 'old and unevenly worn and should be replaced' are not the same thing.

And.....we've only heard one side of this transaction.

I'm saying that something sold "as-is" is just that "as-is". No assumptions should be made. Gary had opportunity to check the car thoroughly when he picked the car up....it reading to me as though this may not have happened.

It's a used car....it's not a new car.....and a set of new tires can most likely be purchased for under $300.

We can debate here all we wish.....but the only two people that have a voice in this matter is Gary and Peter.

I'm not sure why he even chose to air this dirty laundry on an open forum such as this.

If anything, it should have been done in the OT Forum....if done at all.

Now then, how about those CUBS?

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Emil Wojcik Avatar
Metuchen, NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 3571537 by mowog1
... I'm saying that something sold "as-is" is just that "as-is". No assumptions should be made. Gary had opportunity to check the car thoroughly when he picked the car up....it reading to me as though this may not have happened. ...

It's reading to me that Gary trusted the seller, who described the tires as "in good shape" before the purchase. You appear to be saying he should not have trusted the seller. That's sad.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Emil Wojcik Avatar
Metuchen, NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 3571466 by Speedracer It is all about UV exposure, so a set of tires that may be older than say 5-8 years old could still be fine if they were not exposed to UV rays. ...

That is simply not true. UV exposure is only one contributor to rubber degradation and although exposure to UV can reduce the useful life, even storage out of the elements does not significantly extend its life beyond the recommended seven years. Tire aging doesn't start after they're mounted on the car and put into use. It starts at the date of manufacture, regardless of how it's stored.

mowog1 Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
In reply to # 3571600 by Emil Wojcik
In reply to # 3571537 by mowog1
... I'm saying that something sold "as-is" is just that "as-is". No assumptions should be made. Gary had opportunity to check the car thoroughly when he picked the car up....it reading to me as though this may not have happened. ...

It's reading to me that Gary trusted the seller, who described the tires as "in good shape" before the purchase. You appear to be saying he should not have trusted the seller. That's sad.

I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying that Gary had the opportunity to inspect the car BEFORE taking possession/title. This problem could have been alleviated at that time. But he did not, and is now having sour grapes.

The car was sold "as-is"....Gary's words.

Caveat emptor.

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
"You appear to be saying he should not have trusted the seller. That's sad."

Not sad. In selling a used car who is to say that the seller has the responsibility and is a certified expert and has professionally inspected all the systems of the car? Tires appeared to be road worthy with lots of tread and no sidewall cracks. Transmission worked fine, but was the oil inspected for metal particulate? Brakes worked but was the thickness of the pads & shoes inspected? How about lobe wear on the camshaft? The seller presents a vehicle that starts, stops, and drives down the road, and in a "as is - where is" sale that is the limit of their responsibility. If I remember correctly, all privately sold vehicles in California are "as is - where is" unless other written conditions are in place.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

Old Driver Avatar
Old Driver Gold Member Harry Watkin
Huntersville, NC, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Ducky"
In 2015, I bought a 2012 Fusion "Certified Pre-Owned" with 30,000 miles. Had Michelin eco-friendly 'Green' tires with a lot of tread. The tires didn't seem to have as much stickiness as I expected, and one day I ran through a small puddle at about 40 mph and it hydroplaned. Looked at the date code and it showed 2012, then I noticed that the sidewalls on all four were cracked. The next day it had four Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires.

"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."
Unknown

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."
Oscar Wilde

1974 MG BGT - Green Mallard, Acme Speed Shop engine, Schlemmer dist, T-9 5-speed
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman - Mellow Yellow w/ silver top

Emil Wojcik Avatar
Metuchen, NJ, USA   USA
What I'm saying has nothing to do with 'as is'. We all understand what that means. There's one important point that you guys seem to not care about at all.

The seller described the tires as good before the sale and then changed that description after the sale.

There isn't anyone here that would accept an item sold by Moss, or any other vendor, that was described one way on the website but they mailed you something that didn't fit that description. You would complain to Moss. And you should.

Yes, Gary should have checked the tires before taking possession of the car and complain at that time. He didn't. That doesn't make it right for the seller to describe the condition different before the sale than after.

I'm done here.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
If one blows, and you hit a tree, fence, or worse yet, someone else, can any damage be repaired for the price of a new set of tires. ??????

jakdedert Avatar
jakdedert John Dedert
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
Probably already too much said, but I'll chuck in my $.02 worth anyway. As-is means as-is, no doubt; but my understanding was always that the seller was responsible to divulge any defects that he KNEW were present. That addresses the "didn't get an oil analysis" or brake shoe condition etc.

However, if there was an oil exam done, it would need to be revealed. If the PO had just pulled the rear drums and noticed the shoes were on their last legs, then it would seem to me that honesty, character and legality demands such defects be divulged.

The only grey area: How can one prove foreknowledge of a defect.

cstrong45 Avatar
cstrong45 Silver Member Charles Strong
Bainbridge Island, Washington, USA   USA
In reply to # 3571466 by Speedracer It is all about UV exposure, so a set of tires that may be older than say 5-8 years old could still be fine if they were not exposed to UV rays. With that said you now own the car, and you can only bitch so long about PO, it your's now, make it yours, and move on. We see this in race cars, people bitching about the PO's work, sooner or later you make it your own and then only blame you smiling smiley You're a big boy Gary, this ain't your first rodeo, you know what to do.

The voice of wisdom. My car leaves the garage, goes for a ride and then back to the garage where it lives. The tires on that car will outlive any tires spending their entire life out of doors.

mowog1 Avatar
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
Have a nice day, folks.

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
As Emil has indicated that he is done with his crusade, I'll make one last comment. What a bunch of Bullhocky over a set of $300 - 400 tires. Geez!

DB Wood Avatar
DB Wood Gold Member Daniel Wood
Tumalo, OR, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB GT "Clyde"
1970 MG MGB GT
Any tires over 7 years old need to go, so WEAR THEM OUT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!! Drive your cars more often. I know several people who have MGBs, locally, and most of them don't drive them very often. I seem to be the exception. About 7K/year between the 7OGT and the 68 roadster, and that isn't enough to wear out the tires unless I start driving harder. Now that's an idea???

Dan Wood
70BGT driver, OD, Pertronix, HS4's, Peco, .060 over, Elgin cam, Superlite wheels, poly bushings, panhard rod, rear tube shocks, 1" lowered front end, HD shock valves, etc, etc.
68 MGB rebuilt engine D9 cam balanced, still a work in process but runs real nice.
88 Saab SPG Turbo
86 Vanagon Westy (South African conversion engine 2.0 OHC 135HP)

Lucas= Loose
Unsoldered
Connections
And
Splices

joniuk Avatar
joniuk john jellyman
swansea, UK   GBR
Also the insurance companies will use the age of the tyres as a get out clause if you have an accident.. Meaning your insurance is invalid. (UK)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster