Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DUFFY Avatar
DUFFY michael duffy
beavercreek ohio, USA   USA
Finishing off a lengthy period off road. Thought I'd hang the exhaust and fire her up today. Brand new Moss rear silencer bracket bobbin failed on assembly. Didn't even make it off the bench! Looks absolute rubbish, rusty stud and mounting badly glued to the rubber core. That's not all though, the u bracket holes are in the wrong place and the kit was missing a bolt and washer. Anyone else had problems with this part? I couldn't see it lasting 5 minutes under the Car!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170811_153529.jpg    23.5 KB
20170811_153529.jpg

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Michael,
How has the vendor responded to this 'poor replacement part' when you called them ?

I recall reading of such a case on this forum just weeks ago. But my memory being what it is ........................

B

Check your ego Amigo!

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
It can be a little tricky to assemble and not break those soft parts. I'm several years ahead of you eye rolling smiley

DUFFY Avatar
DUFFY michael duffy
I get my stuff from Moss over the counter so have no doubt they will just replace the kit. My issue is that it's just not up to scratch. Fit and Forget! , no way

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
FWIW you are not alone ..............

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3435487,3435487#msg-3435487

B

Check your ego Amigo!

jimathome Avatar
jimathome Silver Member Jim Walton
Columbus, Georgia, USA   USA
Poor quality replacement parts from Moss and BV have happened to me more than once. The latest parts that turned out to be junk were new seat slides for my 1963 B. I have learned never throw away any parts no matter the condition. The new slides were really bad. After going to the trouble to install them I found out I could not adjust the seats forward or back. The reason was the mounting screw recesses. The screw would not go flat. You can see the problem on the photos. I sand blasted and painted my old slides and reinstalled them. Perfect.
Another time I purchased a new glove box for my car. The new box was not even close to fitting. Unfortunantly we have no other dealer to buy from.

Jim

Attachments:
IMG_2004.JPG    42.4 KB
IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG    34.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
nickj Avatar
nickj Gold Member Nick Jenkins
Novato, Marin Co, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB
I went through two of Moss' bobbins in short order, then got this from McMaster-Carr. It's still on the car.

4403K577 Extreme-Temperature Vibration-Damping Sandwich Mount with Stud, Black, 5/16"-18 Thread, 60 lbs. Capacity 1 Each 9.83

I like Moss. I always go to them first for parts. And I don't really blame them. They didn't make the bobbin, and everyone puts different stresses on their exhaust systems. But paying more for a better product worked for me.

GMs MG Avatar
GMs MG Gold Member Gary Mackin
Sheridan, Arkansas, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "Blanche"
I installed that assembly in March and had no issues

Gary

GMsMG

hotrodmg Alan L
Arlington, Texas, USA   USA
This is probably too much information but since I used to make rubber to metal bonded parts I have seen this failure many times.
The photo isn't close enough but it looks like there is some rust on the rubber to metal interface.
It is a result of poor metal preparation before applying the bonding adhesive.

These are hot bonded in the mold that forms the part, the adhesive is heat/pressure activated while the rubber cures.
When they fall apart right away the original bond quality was bad. It is the fault of the molding company and Moss should replace the part.

Alan

DUFFY Avatar
DUFFY michael duffy
Spot on Alan, metal was rusty as he'll.

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
There are other vendors. I think The Roadster Factory seems to carry a better line of parts generally. They usually cost a little more but they fit better and are closer to the original parts. The larger vendors try to offer the lowest prices as that is what the majority of purchasers want. The customer that wants the best parts available is a minority. I have learned never to buy replacement electrical items if at all avoidable and you can't beat Martin for rubber products.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster