AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kymike Avatar
kymike Michael Wilson
Clinton, Kentucky, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Luna"
1978 MG MGB "Nimbus"
Hello all, I have recently acquired a 78 B and it seems that most of the oil leaks are coming from the side covers on the engine. My car has a Weber carb and headers. How difficult is removal of the covers with everything (headers) in place and are there any tips or tricks involved. Also are the silicone gaskets a big improvement? Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
The front bolt is accessible from under the car, but I can't imagine removing them with the intake and exhaust in place. Aside from that, the single biggest cause of leaks is overtightening the covers, and it's much easier to get them "right"(preferably with a torque wrench) if you have stuff out of the way.

I couldn't begin to say what's going on with your headers, but with a stock manifold you can get plenty of clearance by just disconnecting and not removing it.

I had silicon gaskets and couldn't keep them from leaking, but I seem to be in the minority. I probably committed an unforgiveable sin, but I've now twice used Permatex Form-A-Gasket on them(just a thin bead around the perimeter, after making sure all the old gasket is gone) and mine are tight.

Team DNF Avatar
Team DNF David Dobbins
Kansas City, Missouri, USA   USA
Michael

Just fixed mine last weekend. I had tried cork, rubber, and finally silicone. I think I have the problem solved.

In my case it wasn't so much the gasket material as the fact that the PO had over tightened it previously. The front cover was deformed by overtightening. He tightened it until it bottomed out causing the cover to be concave so it no longer applied sufficient force around the perimeter to the gasket.

I put my cover in the bench vise and got it pretty well back to the correct shape. I thoroughly cleaned both surfaces. Then I put a light film of RTV on the cover and affixed the new silicone gasket. I installed using no sealer between the gasket and engine block.

I tightened to about 5 lbs of torque. After a week, bone dry.

Take your time and do it right. No fun having to remove the manifolds. Even worse doing it more than once.

FYI

Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Discocontented Avatar
Discocontented Erik Walter
MN, Crystal, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Vivian"
Do yourself a favor and make sure you have a sealing washer under the bolt which holds the side cover in place. Mine was leaking from there and a $1 bag of stainless/rubber washers solved a problem that was driving me crazy.

Team DNF Avatar
Team DNF David Dobbins
Kansas City, Missouri, USA   USA
Erik

Excellent point. I used a new copper washer.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-11 10:27 AM by Team DNF.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Use the one piece cover and silicone gasket
Make sure to only tighten slightly past hand tight
Leaks are caused by too much torque on side covers and valve covers
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.mgexp.com/article/mgb/pdf/mgb-torque-settings.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjD4_n4ws_VAhXpq1QKHbVWB7MQFggoMAA&usg=AFQjCNFVygAEoSQHr7kcH8Y0iTVXokdnfw

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

kymike Avatar
kymike Michael Wilson
Clinton, Kentucky, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Luna"
1978 MG MGB "Nimbus"
Thanks again for some very good advice.

GMs MG Avatar
GMs MG Gold Member Gary Mackin
Sheridan, Arkansas, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "Blanche"
Michael,

Contact Basil Adams on here for a really good one piece cover

Gary

GMsMG

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
I have those available for sale.

GaryDLowrie Avatar
GaryDLowrie Silver Member Gary Lowrie
Dewey, AZ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB GT "The Green Dream"
1974 MG MGB "Pearl"
In reply to # 3571699 by GMs MG Michael,

Contact Basil Adams on here for a really good one piece cover

Attachments:
DSCF2178.JPG    70.4 KB
DSCF2178.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 MG MGA Twin Cam Coupe

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links